Forums Latest Members
  1. kaplan Jan 19, 2021

We'd probably pay half for all the auctions

There are many auctions where I battle only one other person and pay 100's more, there's this one auction where I've been increasing the price from $80 to $300 - and at this point I just gave up and let the guy have it, if I wasn't in the mix, he was going to get it for $80 ... I don't enjoy being on either side

There are also times where I forget to join, the item sells for a very low amount, similarly, sometimes no one challenges my bids and I get something for a low amount and be happy (or miserable, as sometimes you wish someone saves you from the commitment : )

I mean it's a just system and all but ... it seems to me that a handful of people are actually joining these auctions, a coalition would benefit us all :)

2. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Jan 19, 2021

Seems like it would not benefit you if you were a seller...

That is collusion, and it is illegal for businesses to do in a lot of places.

DaveK, vintage hab and wagudc like this.
  3. timjohn Jan 19, 2021

4. Dan S Jan 19, 2021

Definitely not ethical, and possibly illegal depending on the jurisdiction.

DaveK and Dries like this.
  5. kaplan Jan 19, 2021

Having observed at least one on Reddit's watchexchange, it's definitely icky - they are more like fifth columns there as they support each other too and create sales between each other

But I think for online auctions, ethics and legality is debatable - for actual auctions, I assume there are explicit rules against private agreements

I honestly wouldn't want to go into ethics, it's most probably not ethical even though I didn't think it through with logical statements, but with a similar hasty assumption, for online auctions, it should be legal