Forums Latest Members

If my timepiece is still under warranty, servicing questions.

1. LeDave Sep 17, 2014

I have had my SMPc for just about 12 months now. I am planning to get it serviced 6 months before the warranty wears out, which is in 18 months from now. I know that the warranty covers any defects that occurs while wearing it normally within the 3 years of warranty. But what about if there is no defects on my watch, yet I still want to get it serviced? Which is Timekeeping accuracy regulation and pressure testing. Will they consider putting this on warranty or will I have to pay out of pocket? If out of pocket, then I'll consider just sending my SMPc in within 4-5 years for servicing, that's if my watch is still in perfect working condition.

2. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Sep 17, 2014

Warranty does not cover regular maintenance.

You want it serviced then you pay for it.

LeDave likes this.
  3. LeDave Sep 17, 2014

Thanks mate. how often should I do a regular maintenance? Because of out of pocket expenses. I'm planning in 3 years from now, which will make my SMPc 4 years old then. If sooner suggestions, I'll consider that.

4. Lee CL Sep 17, 2014

According to Omega Service Centre over my area, regulation and pressure testing is FOC during the warranty period.

You should call in and check with Omega Service Centre in your area

LeDave likes this.
  5. LeDave Sep 17, 2014

Thanks mate, I was looking at the Service Center map from the Omega website. It appears that the nearest service center is in either New York or Florida. Is it normal for someone to have to mail their watch down to the service centers that far away?

As far as the questions are going, I am hearing two completely different answers!

6. Lee CL Sep 17, 2014

Call in and check with your nearest Omega service centre, that is what my local Omega Service centre replied:

"The S$15 for quick service (regulation or water-resistance check) will be waived upon presenting a valid warranty card when registering of your timepiece."
    They may have different policy in different region.

LeDave likes this.
  7. msp1518 Sep 17, 2014

Unless something is wrong your watch doesn't need servicing under warranty. It's really that simple. Chevy won't pay for my tuneup. That's my responsibility.

LeDave likes this.
  8. GrouchoM Sep 17, 2014

The boutique in Natick, Massachusetts, will pressure test and regulate watches up to ~20 years old for free.

LeDave likes this.
  9. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Sep 18, 2014

Servicing and regulation are two different things. A service involves a complete strip-down, clean and replacement of any worn parts. After it is re-built, it is adjusted for time keeping. Regulation is the adjustment of the timekeeping. If you take the watch to your local AD, they will send it to Omega's service centre and receive it back from the centre. You just pick it up from them. In the UK, they don't charge for the handling.

LeDave likes this.
  10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 18, 2014

Service means this:

[​IMG]

Regulation is just opening the back and making an adjustment....big difference as Stewart has pointed out.

They may make adjustments for free during the warranty, but service is not free unless there is a defect.

Cheers, Al

LeDave likes this.
  11. LeDave Sep 18, 2014

Thanks a bunch all of you guys. I guess I really don't need to bring my watch in for regulation or pressure testing yet, there's really no point as my SMPc is working flawlessly. I am going to probably wait until it loses or gains too much time out of chronometer standards. I also definitely do not need servicing now that I know what it is. I will go to my JB Hudson Jewelers, where I bought my watch and talk to them about the pricing and sending it to a boutique in the future for regulation and pressure testing if needed.

12. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 18, 2014

If the watch is going into water then have it pressure tested every two years, to ensure the seals are still effective and the watch is still good for the its waterproof rating. As th others have said, that's not a service - it's a quick check up.

13. LeDave Sep 18, 2014

I just left a message to my local AD that I bought my Omega from and asked how much it would cost for partial servicing, regulation + pressure test. I asked about the cost of their in-house watchmakers/repairers and also about Omega servicing center. In the meanwhile, I just stumbled upon this beautiful video. This completely overhaul of cleaning and replacing is astonishing.

alam likes this.
  14. msp1518 Sep 19, 2014

I once felt this was a cool video but now not so much. First of all, it's just too damn quick. Secondly a number of shots are clearly staged. What I would love is to see a good ten minute video with shots long enough to savor and appreciate what is actually happening. There are some videos like that online, but unfortunately they are old and in low resolution.

15. LeDave Sep 19, 2014

Now that you mentioned it, I watched it again and feel that way too.