Forums Latest Members

If I keep reading this I’m going to have to sell some watches

1. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jul 8, 2018

My friend Jim keeps giving my son and me these magazines. Enablement and Temptation on a OF magnitude!!!!! They make it so easy! Like I need another expensive hobby! 3070D554-926D-437B-9864-13D6DEE7E5FD.jpeg

Jwit, nonuffinkbloke, kov and 6 others like this.
  2. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Jul 8, 2018

Beautiful GTO!

I've owned a couple of vintage cars (BMW 2002tii and Alfa Romeo Milano), and certainly enjoyed them. However, they can be a PITA to store (in stark contrast to watches), and of course maintain, unless you have the skills yourself.

3. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jul 8, 2018

Lol Sports Car Market is worse.

4. bristnj Jul 8, 2018

Larry - Hagerty magazine has some great shots for watch backgrounds! I’m sure you can fine this pic in that very magazine on page 14! ;)
    [​IMG]

Just Livin, alam, Pun and 6 others like this.
  5. ulackfocus Jul 8, 2018

Man, look at the woogety tires on that car! :eek: :confused: They are WAY out of camber! ::facepalm2::

airansun, alam, kov and 4 others like this.
  6. Xeer Jul 8, 2018

@Larry S I can of course help you fund your new hobby! By taking a few off your 'old' one :p

7. warrydog Jul 8, 2018

This comment goes directly to the heart of the issue for me.... I can work on most of what interests me, but storage has always been the killer.
    Good luck.

Larry S and Speedmasterfan88 like this.
  8. wsfarrell Jul 8, 2018

I bet Jay Leno would lend you some space in Jay Leno's Garage if you asked nicely.

Tony C. likes this.
  9. Speedmasterfan88 Jul 9, 2018

I‘d say go for it! It‘s a great hobby. I‘m on my second vintage car at the moment and enjoying it very much.

But like you said already, storage can be a problem, which could lead to other problems.
    I‘m experiencing this myself at the moment.
    I moved, and haven’t found a place to store my car where I live atm, so it‘s still stored in my old home town.
    This inevitably leads to me not driving it as much as I should and did in the past. Which again leads to other problems, as there is nothing worse for a classic car than to sit unused for long periods of time.

Still, it‘s a great hobby, and if you can wrench a bit and have a basic understanding of mechanical things, most maintenance can be done by yourself with the help of a Haynes manual and a set of wrenches.

Cheers,

Max

10. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jul 9, 2018

Mrs S already said an emphatic “No” ... dealing with the boats is hard enough. What I might do is get something fun next car replacement ...

11. kov Trüffelschwein. Jul 9, 2018

You live only once :thumbsup:

12. Foxy100 Jul 9, 2018

I finally bought a house with a garage (and loads of off-road parking) last year, 22 years after buying my Healey! It (and a variety of other classic cars) has lived in various rented barns etc throughout that time but there's nothing like having to go out to run some errands like I had to on Sunday morning and taking your classic. I'm taking it out on Wednesday too and off to Goodwood on Thursday. Its restoration was massively expensive though, I could have bought a few watches instead...

bristnj and Speedmasterfan88 like this.
  13. allwoundup Jul 18, 2018

My dad and I restored a 1931 Ford Model A Town Sedan back when I was in junior high school. Nearly fifty years later I remain uncertain whether vintage cars are a hobby or a disease. Twenty years ago my wife and I relocated and bought an 1800s farmhouse in "ruralburbia". The property came with a more modern 60'x40' masonry barn....which was empty. As nature abhors a vacuum so too does a vintage car guy abhor an empty garage, or barn, as the case might be. At one point I had sixteen cars in various states of repair in that barn. I had the vintage car bug so bad I would actually go out driving the back roads with an pocket full of cash and an empty car trailer in tow looking for my next "find". Regrettably, my wife didn't share my passion for vintage cars. When it came to acquiring another vintage car I decided it was better to seek forgiveness (should my wife actually find out) rather than permission. For nearly fifteen years my three sons and I kept my wife from going in the barn with tales of the ROUSs (rodents of unusual size) that lived there. It wasn't until four years ago, when we moved to a house with only four garage bays, that I had to come clean with my wife about just how many vintage cars "we" actually owned. Her shock was largely tempered by the appreciation several of "our" cars had experienced with the rising collector car market. Vintage car collecting is definitely hampered by storage space limitations. I have downsized my collection to fit in the four garage bays of our current house....and a few other bays scattered about. Watch collecting is a much more practical hobby, or manageable disease. It is amazing how many watches you can park in a walk-in closet. Cheers!