Forums Latest Members

If everyone agrees that servicing is important, then why...

1. Poday May 24, 2015

Every time someone posts a link to a watch for sale (or one they've bought), one of the most common replies is "be sure to get it serviced". Pretty much every regular member here has stated something to that effect.

So, what confuses me is, why in the private sales forum is pretty much every listed watch described as "service history unknown"? I don't mean to stir the pot here, but it seems that many do not practice what they preach. Or am I missing something?

2. TNTwatch May 24, 2015

Yeah, you've missed a thread about this and the fact that a lot of normal collectors have many watches that it's unrealistic to service them all, especially those that they don't keep. And why service those that don't get used? Also, with service, price would be higher.

Steve1haggart likes this.
  3. rogart ray it again, Ram. May 24, 2015

4. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months May 24, 2015

5. JFingers May 25, 2015

Thanks for the links, 'preciate it.

-only jake

6. Bubba May 25, 2015

I am still on the fence about servicing a watch that keeps perfect time and works perfectly. I keep hearing that there is so much damage that can be done by not servicing, but what exactly breaks when a watch sits in a jewelry box inside a home for 30 years. How much more can it cost ? Being realistic i mean not hysterical.

wsfarrell likes this.
  7. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months May 25, 2015

8. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident May 25, 2015

Read this thread:
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/ever-wondered-what-50-year-old-grease-looks-like.23194/

Fortunately, this one had seized up completely so the solidified lubricants could not cause damage to rotating parts and bushes.

9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 25, 2015

When lubrication dries out and the watch is run in this condition, wear is accelerated (by quite a lot). I see it every single day...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I could go on, and on, and on...

As I have said before, in some cases it makes perfect sense to just let the watch run until it dies, because parts may be readily available and not expensive to replace. The parts inside a watch that wear can cost anywhere from under $10, to several hundred for just a single part. However using this same "breakdown maintenance" strategy for every situation can be very costly. There is no one size fits all stance that I take on servicing, because there are a lot of factors to be considered.

If the watch has been "sitting in a drawer" unused for 30 years, the oils are most certainly all dried out. If it's not serviced before it used, damage will happen, and yes even if it keeps time well when you wear it.

Cheers, Al

JFingers and violaguy5 like this.
  10. italy1861 May 25, 2015

I love the attention to detail when you document servicing of a watch Al.. Thank you for allowing us to see what is actually happening to the watches that we send you for TLC...