Forums Latest Members
  1. AMB May 31, 2012

Hello all,

I'm a new member and this is my first posting.

I recently received this Omega Constellation from my Aunt. It had belonged to my grandfather who lived in Germany and passed away in 1992. It works but seems to loose time. My job is not friendly to anything worn near ones hands so I've only had it on a few times so far. I do not know (but doubt) it was worn much between 1992 and today? I've also not opened it up or had it serviced yet.

Below the Omega symbol and name, the face has "automatic", "chronometer" and "officially certified" on it. There are also "T's" before and after the "Swiss Made" text at the 6 o-clock position on the face. There are no numbers, letters or other identifying marks on the back of the case. The band is an 'Elasto-Fixo' and has 'Made in Germany', 'Americ' and 'ROWI' on it.

I was hoping to get your help with an educated idea as to:

A - What year it was made (approximately)?

B - Anything special such as a sub-name or otherwise?

C - A rough value range based on condition for insurance purposes?

Please excuse the photos, they were taken with a point-and-shoot under poor lighting conditions - it looks far better in person than it does here. That being said, the entire watch and band have numerous lite scratches and marks from regular use. The dial face also has some obvious spotting.

Thank you for your input(s), thoughts and advice.

Andrew

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member May 31, 2012

Welcome to Omega Forums!

I think I can give your questions a shot:

1. The watch was made around 1966 to 1969. The movement should have a serial number that would help us determine a closer production date. Or you can contact Omega through their website and pay them 80 francs for a certificate with the exact date.

2. You can see that it is a Constellation. The good news about Constellations is that there is another website that has articles written on just about every sub-type of these watches:

http://omega-constellation-collectors.blogspot.com/

This looks like what we sometimes call a "semi-hidden" crown model, Ref. 168.010. Here's a page showing a similar watch:

http://www.omega-addict.com/reviews/constellation/

3. A rough guess at value on this watch would be around $500 or so as a gold-capped Omega Constellation with a moderately damaged dial. Most insurance companies are going to require you to have a more professional appraisal done by a jeweler in order to write a rider onto your homeowners' policy. That's likely to come out somewhat higher that the above figure.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

3. ulackfocus May 31, 2012

Hi Andrew. Welcome to Omega Forums. You have an early to mid 60's Constellation 168.0xx (xx probably equals 04 or 10) that we call a hidden crown model since the winding crown is partially recessed into the side of the case. It's a pretty nice watch with a thick layer of gold over stainless steel called gold capped. It probably has a caliber (movement) 561 inside which is a very nice one. Sitting so long it's a safe bet that it needs to have it's internals cleaned, oiled, and adjusted for it to keep time correctly. Have a that done before using it again so you don't damage it permanently. In the current condition it would sell for anywhere between $500 to $750, most likely somewhere around $600. Nice heirloom. :thumbsup:

4. AMB Jun 1, 2012

Thank you for the replies and very useful information guys. I'd guessed it might be mid 60's but my Aunt does not remember the year that he got it.

I also assume it is not water resistant? I have not gotten it wet but ask as I do not know much about Constellations in general other than their being collectible.

Thanks again,
    Andrew

5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 1, 2012

Its splash resistant in theory, but in practice its a 50 year old vintage watch that should never get its feet wet.

6. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jun 1, 2012

Yes.

I'm sure these were water resistant when new. But 20+ years of never being used and no service to the movement means that the water-tight gaskets have either totally failed or turned to black goo.

That's the likely cause of the spotting on the dial. Water vapor gets in, condenses on the inside of the crystal, drips on the dial and now you have a bit of a mess on your hands. A good watchmaker can make almost everything right, except for the dial damage.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

7. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jun 1, 2012

That dial spotting could have also come from above with a failure at the level of the crystal - if the origin is from below then the movement likely has a lot of rusted parts as well. Sometimes the movement looks very good on first blush but once disassembled, the full extent of the corrosion is seen.

8. astrosfan Jun 1, 2012

Beautiful watch & Grandpa knew quality when he saw it. Get it serviced & enjoy your heiloom!