Forums Latest Members
  1. rvee86 Mar 27, 2015

Hi everybody,

I have been in the market for a vintage watch, and today stumbled upon and purchased this Omega. I was stunned by the patina on the face, and just the overall look -- What can I say? It was love at first sight.

I purchased it from a local watch shop. It's apparently from the 50's, is all original, and has been completely serviced. They even included a 1 year warranty on the watch, and at no charge changed the band to something I liked (I decided on a brown, alligator textured band) Very happy with my buy, however I was hoping that somebody here may be able to identify it by a model name using the photo. I would like to research it a little. -- I see that Omega can provide information by utilizing the serial number on the movement however I have not opened it as of yet to look.

Thank you all in advance for any insight you can provide.

Ray

IMG_2669.JPG
    Lukeeesteve and travisrock like this.
  2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Mar 27, 2015

This is an Omega "US Army" watch:

http://www.omegawatches.com/planet-omega/heritage/vintage-watches-database?ref=14328

Some of these are engraved "US Army" on the back. Those so engraved were issued to military personnel (believed to be US Army Air Corps) in Europe after D-Day in 1944 and 1945. However, those without the engraving were likely sent back to civilian channels of commerce after WWII.

Some are Ref. 2179 (as linked above) and some are Ref. 2384, which is a little smaller and thinner. Both have the same dial and movement.

The dials on these had some sort of problem with the original finish. The dials are almost always found with some degree of radiation damage or a refinished dial like your example. I've seen several with that style of refinish that looks almost identical to the original, just without the "Swiss Made" at the "5" and "7". Here's my example:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

According to the family of the original owner, from whom I purchased this watch, this engraving references a military basketball tournament held in March 1946. I figured since it is NCAA Tournament time, I'd throw that one in.

These are very solid watches and if properly serviced make good daily wearers.

Very nice purchase.
    gatorcpa

rvee86 and Lukeeesteve like this.
  3. travisrock Mar 27, 2015

it's beautiful, is what it is.

4. rvee86 Mar 27, 2015

Gatorcpa,

Thank you for the information! That's exactly what I was looking for. -- My watch does not have any engraving on the back, I love the story behind yours.
    Defective or not, I am attracted to the look of the finish. I wouldn't think of having it restored (but who knows what another 50 years will bring!) As mine does not have "SWISS MADE" at the bottom, is that an indication that it was, at one time, refinished?

I trust it has been properly serviced as per the watchmaker. I look forward to adding this to my regular rotation for many years to come. Thank you again!

5. travisrock Mar 27, 2015

don't replace that dial. please! the spidering(?) is absolutely beautiful.

Lukeeesteve likes this.
  6. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Mar 27, 2015

Yes, unfortunately appears to be refinished but it is still a nice wearable piece. The Omega logo is also not as sharp if you compare the two. I just stupidly sold this one...:(

[​IMG]

rvee86 likes this.
  7. chousirbuy Mar 27, 2015

MY 30T2

IMG_2233_zps85563621.JPG IMG_20140703_190811_zps1qz3xvd6.JPG

rvee86 and Lukeeesteve like this.
  8. rvee86 Mar 28, 2015

Thank you all for sharing the photos of your watches!
    I love that while they're all the same model, they're in no way cookie cutter as they all have unique character as they've aged. -- You'll never find two exactly the same.
    This is my first vintage watch with the rest of my collection being more contemporary pieces. I couldn't be happier with it!

Thank you all for the warm welcome to the forum. Looking forward to perusing and learning more about Omega as I go.