Forums Latest Members
  1. jbtb077 Jul 20, 2019

Hi all,

I recently inherited two watches from my grandpa: a Seamaster, and another Omega from around the same era.

They appear as lightly used; they've been tucked away in a safety deposit box for at least 20 years.

I'm curious of the history behind these two watches. What is their year, and is there anything special about these particular types? Their bracelets are unusual. I made another post on this subreddit asking about it, and was told it was probably not OEM, but maybe they're something I'm missing here... Both bracelets look similar, it's just that one of them has a horseshoe on the clasp, while the other has a crown.

Here are their two pictures:

Unknown: https://i.imgur.com/7LG8jwG.jpg

Seamaster: https://i.imgur.com/i9OOuxl.jpg

Additional photos below!

Thanks all!

Edited Jul 20, 2019
  2. seekingseaquest Jul 20, 2019

FYI, you’ll get more replies if you post the photos themselves rather than links to the photos.

Both are Seamasters. The first one is probably older, early 50s. The second one is also 50s but unfortunately has had the dial re-painted at some point.

Do you have better photos? Photos of the back would be helpful too. Photos of the movement and inside of case back are really what’s needed to accurately identify them.

DaveK and jbtb077 like this.
  3. jbtb077 Jul 20, 2019

Thank you so much for your reply! I'm not able to get photos of the inside currently; I have yet to take it to a watchmaker, but I did take more photos of both.

Also, how are you able to tell that the second one has had its dial re-painted?

Here is the second Seamaster.

front.jpg
    back.jpg side.jpg

4. jbtb077 Jul 20, 2019

Here are pictures of the first Seamaster. back.jpg front.jpg

side2.jpg
  5. Henneth Jul 21, 2019

Just have a close look at the text on the dial of the second one and compare it to the first one. It’s scrawly and uneven. Furthermore the minute track is off.

What happens when you shake the first watch. Is there something “heavy” moving inside?

Edited Jul 21, 2019
  6. jbtb077 Jul 21, 2019

Nope for both watches. Is there supposed to be something heavy that I should feel?

7. Henneth Jul 23, 2019

I thought it could possibly be a "pre seamaster" with a bumper movement...