Forums Latest Members
  1. Joe Jun 28, 2015

LAte 1950s or early 1960s? No calendar, 12, 3, 6 and 9 as numbers (see image). Thin gold bars for other numbers. NO "officially certified" on face. "Hexagonal" dial. Gold face with stainless steel back. Gold constellation. Would rather not open it up to identify. Has been in continuous possession in my family since at least the early 1970s. Curious as to exact date for reasons that extend beyond watch. Have yet to find exact match in "images" etc.
    Thanks for your help.

IMG_4391.JPG IMG_4392.JPG
  2. nickgr Doesn't like baklava!!! Jun 28, 2015

In order to date it we need to know the serial number which is written in the movement. Based on the photos I think it has cal 551. Also if you could take a bigger more clear photo of the dial it would be helpful

3. cristos71 Jun 28, 2015

I think a 14381 with a cal 551. Serial should be around 17 million for a 1960 production. Looks to be in good shape too :)

4. Joe Jun 28, 2015

Thanks for your quick response. The dial is damaged. I have attached a photo but not sure it will help. I realize the numbers would be best but just hoping it might be identifiable through its unique (more or less) face.
    Thanks again.

IMG_4394.JPG
  5. Joe Jun 28, 2015

6. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jun 28, 2015

Do not, do not, please do not touch the dial. You will destroy it if you (or your watchmaker) don't know what they are doing.

I would recommend a replacement for the crown. These thin 10-sided crowns are no longer made, so fit an aesthetically pleasing Omega crown and save the old one to document the original.

The rest of the outside looks pretty nice. I suspect the movement will be nice and shiny as well.

If it hasn't been run in awhile, then it will require an overhaul and cleaning for running for any period of time.

Good luck with the restoration.
    gatorcpa

7. Joe Jun 28, 2015

Thanks. I will be sure to replace the crown with the appropriate piece and through a qualified watchmaker. I appreciate your devotion to the brand and make. It was my uncle's and has been on and off my wrist since the mid-1970s. Great watch -- wonderful understated elegance. Love it.
    Best,
    Joe

8. Joe Jun 28, 2015

BTW the dial is fine. I misspoke earlier. Dial is fine. Crown is messed up. Will fix appropriately.
    Thanks to all for your help.
    Joe

9. ConElPueblo Jun 29, 2015

Just curious, what do you mean by this? Lovely looking watch, btw :)

10. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jun 29, 2015

Crowns on these watches (even on solid gold cases) are usually gold-plated or filled. Over a long period of time, the gold wears off. It's considered a normal wear and tear item, like tires or windshield wipers on a car.

Problem is that sometimes the original manufacturers stop producing crowns in the original style. The thin 10-sided crowns from the 1960's Constellations are almost impossible to find today, particularly in gold-plated.

Why? Because they were all used to replace crowns that wore out years ago!
    gatorcpa

11. Joe Jun 29, 2015

The part of the crown with the OMEGA symbol came off years ago. The sides are OK but somehow the end-cap came off. I bought a replacement part on e-bay. Not sure as to authenticity but it looks real.
    Thanks for the interest. It is a loverly watch and not affected by this loss though I am concerned about long-term affects without the gold cover on the crown.
    Best,
    Joe
    upload_2015-6-29_18-48-59.png

12. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jun 29, 2015

Joe -

Without knowing the exact case reference of your watch there really is no way of knowing the correct crown or the part number. As best I can tell, your watch is a Ref. 14393, based on this listing from Chrono24:

[​IMG]

Some sources that I've seen say that the crown you bought will fit, but as you can see there is a considerable difference in the width.

Here is a post showing several different Constellation case references and the part number of the crowns that go with them:

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f20/constellation-crown-conundrum-446043.html

This is a direct link to a list of 3 ten sided crowns, including the one above:

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f20/constellation-crown-conundrum-446043-post3316312.html#post3316312

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

13. Joe Jun 29, 2015

Thanks for your continued interest in my crown issue! The one you sent me has the "date" function. The one below, described to me as a 14381 has no date -- and seems identical to mine -- and has a wider crown. The crown below does appear wider than mine -- but mine is missing the "cap." I seem to recall that several decades ago the watch took a blow and the cap basically "peeled" off -- literally; it seemed to me at the time that the crown was gold plated in two pieces -- side and top. I hung on to the part for a while but at that age I was lucky not to lose the watch!

Thanks again.

Just found a 14381 from chrono24.com. Wider crown. Oh well. We will see.

Best,

Joe

3277647b_xxl.jpg 39625-e5fab5a26048e3eebc97befd0ce763d9.jpg