Forums Latest Members
  1. YachtScuba Apr 3, 2018

Hi,

Brand new to watches, omega and the site. I'm looking for some initial guidance. I have been looking for a very special gift for my partner and have decided a vintage seamaster would be where I'd like to start. I've found an image on Google I liked and firstly wondered if it was ever a real seamaster? And if so, which one so I could start investigating more seriously. The photo being so showy probably means it's not real... c24690b01f2cb2d335e88b079db94f35.jpg

If it's a China copy then I'm not interested, but if people know of something similar I'll continue my hunt. Looking for very simple and no extra additions such as date window or extra inset dials. Sorry for non technical knowledge.

Thank you in advance,
    YS

2. Henneth Apr 3, 2018

Edited Apr 3, 2018
  3. Lucasssssss Apr 3, 2018

It is worth deciding from the outset if you want a black dialed watch. They are significantly less common, and significantly more repainted. The watch aficionados here and in other places warn not to buy repainted watches, as they detract from both collectibility and value. It may be worth also expanding your horizons past the Seamaster if you are looking for a black dial.

I would also recommend the watch sales listings on this forum. (https://omegaforums.net/forums/private-watch-sales/) and perhaps have a look at this one, which is being sold by a member here: https://omegaforums.net/threads/omega-seamaster-jumbo-2494-2657-reduced-at-900.68790/

YachtScuba likes this.
  4. YachtScuba Apr 3, 2018

Thank you for the great information! Very helpful!

On looking around I found this, again looks very shiny so maybe same as your comments above. What would you say the price region should be for an original seamaster from this era?

Not necessarily decided on a black dial yet but just caught my eye when I started my search for Omega vintage watches.

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/OMEGA-MENS...-SECOND-HAND/183141552581?hash=item2aa41651c5Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

5. cristos71 Apr 3, 2018

Redial

6. Henneth Apr 3, 2018

This one is again an awful example. Besides being a redial as stated above, it is sold as serviced. But if you look at the movement shot, there is plenty of dirt everywhere, so definitely not serviced. By the way, a redial is per se not a bad thing, but it highly diminishes the resale value of the watch....
    If you just want a watch and aren't interested any further in vintage omegas I highly recommend to check out the private sales forum and buy a watch from here. Otherwise you should start reading the sticky thread "Learn How To Fish"....

7. Noddyman Apr 3, 2018

8. YachtScuba Apr 3, 2018

Just started looking through and had seen that. I like the style, but I think need to look for silver rather than gold numbers/dial. I'm planning on it being a wedding present on day, so will need to match the rings. So silver/chrome finish is current thoughts. But very early thought I've conceived today, so not much time has gone into it yet! Have quite a while to find something.

Reading stickys slowly :)

9. ulackfocus Apr 3, 2018

I see Don Draper syndrome is still an issue.

Lucasssssss likes this.
  10. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Apr 3, 2018

The first has to be elady

11. YachtScuba Apr 3, 2018

Sorry I don't get the reference above, but yes I'm female and sadly have no knowledge of nice watches or this would be a lot simpler to start out from.

The Seamaster has a family history nod to it, so thought I'd be a great place to start. I'll keep an eye on forum sales for seamasters with silver rather than gold I think.

Thank you all

12. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Apr 3, 2018

Looks like a ebay sellers pieces fake dials and over polished. Elady is the seller.

YachtScuba likes this.
  13. ChrisN Apr 3, 2018

Are you in UK? If so, be careful buying from outside of the EU as you will pay 20% VAT (plus a little more) when it enters the country. As long as you have time, there will definitely be a Seamaster in the right style because there are many variations.:thumbsup:.

Cheers, Chris

14. YachtScuba Apr 3, 2018

Thanks Chris, yes I'm in the UK, so that's an excellent point to know.

Yes plenty of time, just over a year, so will keep my eyes on the forum sales and go from there. Hopefully fits the bill of being something to cherish and that'll last forever and not a fashion thing.