Forums Latest Members
  1. Isee Oct 14, 2013

Hello.

Could anyone here identify this old Omega Seamaster? It belonged to my friend´s grandfather who was a captain at sea. He got this watch after years of service around 1960. It holds sentimental values for my friend and he was wondering if it would be possible to refurbish it and if so how much it would cost him. Thank you :).

omega vintage seamaster.jpg
  2. Sherbie Oct 15, 2013

Can you pls post more pictures - of the case back, both inside and out, and of the movement. If you dont feel brave enough to take the back of, just take it to a local watchshop and ask them nicely to take it of - so you can the take photos.

3. John R Smith Oct 15, 2013

And when you take more photos - turn the hands so that they are at ten to two. Then we can see all the text on the dial properly.

4. Isee Oct 15, 2013

I´m sorry but I can´t take the pictures since my friend has the watch, not me :(.

5. Northernman Lemaniac Oct 15, 2013

Hi!
    Looks like a decent shape ref 2520 or possibly 2577. It would contain either a cal 352 or 354 bumper movement. My best guess would be ref 2520. Early to mid 1950's. If it is dating closer to 1960 (sounds to late for me) it will have the caliber 354 movement.

These are highly collectible watches (IMO) and I would advice to have it only gently refurbished and not do any major restoration.
    http://www.omegawatches.com/spirit/history/vintage-omegas/vintage-watches-database?ref=14526
    http://www.omegawatches.com/spirit/history/vintage-omegas/vintage-watches-database?ref=14718

The 2577 would normally not be certified chronometers, however this has been disputed in the past.
    I own myself a chronometer cal 352 with case ref 2577, but I have a confirmation from Omega that it was originally delivered as a ref 2520 18K. The case for my movement was most likely melted for gold, and then the movement was put in a similar looking stainless steel case ref 2577.

If you are located in the UK (or at least within the EC) I would recommend watchguy.co.uk for restoration. He has fair prices, and a deep respect for vintage watch qualities.

Good Luck!

6. Isee Oct 15, 2013

Thank you som much Northernman :). Will give my friend a link to this page

7. Northernman Lemaniac Oct 15, 2013

Anytime!
    I hope you will let us know how it works out! Always interesting to follow such "work in progress"! ;)

Isee likes this.