Forums Latest Members
  1. i3izkit12 Jan 31, 2017

I was rummaging through some old bags and found a watch I was hoping to get some information on. I thought it was my grandmother's because it's so small (29mm diameter) but my mother informed me that it's actually my grandpas. He did A LOT of traveling so I honestly don't know where it's from. Here's an album with photos of the watch. I'd like to know basically all I can about the watch including any type of identification, history, and ballpark valuation.

Thank you!

https://imgur.com/gallery/v6H1X

2. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Jan 31, 2017

You'll need to take the back off to determine the reference number but, from what I can see, it's a quartz watch from the late 70s/early 80s. Quartz watches aren't particularly valuable. The sentimental value will far exceed the cash value.

3. Vitezi Jan 31, 2017

From above link:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. i3izkit12 Jan 31, 2017

Thanks for the info! I don't have any watch tools so I think I'm just gonna take it down to the omega dealer in town to see about having it serviced. I doubt I'll ever sell it. I don't have much to remember my late grandfather by so like you said the sentimental value is big for me. I just wanted to make sure I know what I'm wearing on my wrist.

efauser likes this.
  5. Gordon Heavyfoot Jan 31, 2017

Keep in mind it does appear that the bracelet is solid gold as there are various hallmark stamps, though they are difficult to make out. So there may be considerable inherent value from the gold content.

6. i3izkit12 Jan 31, 2017

I'm pretty sure you're correct lol gramps liked gold! What's the best way to find out what it's worth?

7. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jan 31, 2017

It's difficult to put a value on it.

A gold plated quartz De Ville, maybe a few hundred dollars.

The solid gold bracelet, whatever scrap gold goes for in your area.

For insurance purposes I'd suggest somewhere around USD$1000 (depends on the weight of the gold bracelet).

8. Giff2577 Quick with the tools! Jan 31, 2017

image.jpeg
    You take the blonde, I'll take the Omega!

Mac5 likes this.
  9. i3izkit12 Feb 9, 2017

Hi everyone, I have some updates and i was also hoping to get some information. I took it to a jeweler to see what he thought about it and he said that to the right seller I could probably get something like 2000 for it. I don't know if that's necessarily true but at that price I'm looking to sell it. Where would be the best way to find someone who might be interested in this? The second and probably more realistic question is where I can find a leather strap for this watch. I don't really want to wear the gold bracelet so in the case where I don't sell the watch I'm thinking of selling the gold bracelet for a couple hundred and replacing it with a leather strap.

Any suggestions on either point?

10. waterproofpt Feb 9, 2017

Just my opinion, but if it were mine, I wouldn't separate the bracelet. It doesn't look like an easy switch to leather for one. And a big part of the overall value has got to be in the combination of head and bracelet.

11. WYO_Watch Feb 9, 2017

I guess to the right buyer it could be worth about anything. You should be able to find a nice strap on eBay, Amazon, Etsy. It all depends on what you are looking for in a strap. I have a few handmade straps that are great - and some cheaper straps that also serve their purpose.

12. i3izkit12 Feb 9, 2017

The jeweler said the same thing and told me he didn't have a strap for it and to look online. I agree that it'll probably hard to find but I can't see myself wearing it a whole lot with the gold bracelet. I'm still on the fence with what to do about it...

EDIT:: It's also worth mentioning that the bracelet is tiny. Like it'll fit a 6 inch wrist perfectly tiny.

Edited Feb 9, 2017
  13. i3izkit12 Feb 9, 2017

Any idea of where I can try posting to look for a potential buyer? I don't really care about the strap being expensive as long as it looks decent and fits.

14. waterproofpt Feb 9, 2017

You could possibly sell it as a women's watch.

15. Egatdagi Feb 9, 2017

Put it on eBay.

16. Davidt Feb 10, 2017

I don't see that watch anywhere near 2000 (maybe Krona?), unless there's considerable gold in the bracelet. It's nots a sought after model and if you sell it, you'll likely get just over gold price as the head isnt worth a whole lot. If it has sentimental value I'd spend some time trying to find a strap to work. If you can find one, keep the watch on strap for yourself to remember your grandad, and scrap in the bracelet if it's not for you.

i3izkit12 likes this.
  17. i3izkit12 Feb 10, 2017

yeah I'm probably gonna sell the gold bracelet for a couple hundred and use the money to buy a new strap. I already contacted a few people who make custom straps. Thanks for the advice!