Forums Latest Members
  1. OmegaNoob Oct 1, 2014

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Hello all! Been lurking a bit, so here goes my first post!

I am super new to the vintage hobby, but have already acquired a few pretty cool pieces (In my opinion). They may not be collectable, but they are watches that I REALLY like for one reason or another...I did blow a great opportunity at an AMAZING piece, and as has been said...I regret it :-(

this is brings me to the point of my post.

I recently picked up this watch and really LOVE it. I know it is not the cleanest example I have seen (I did add the new lizard strap, which I think adds something), but it runs great and I can't stop looking at it. I also constantly get comments and compliments.

Here is what I know (which is not much)...it is a 343 Bumper movement and (the case back) states 14k, though I can't confirm the case/lugs/dial. There appears to be markings, one on the side of the case and one on the back of one of the lugs, but I can't make them out to determine if they are hallmarks or not.

I have been able to find the dial thru a google search, but there was no information on the watch.

I am embarrassed to admit that I can't seem to break down any of the codes on the inside of the caseback or on the movement.

Any insight from your expertise is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

2. Lessismore Pro Constellation picker-outter! Oct 1, 2014

From what I see the ref number is 2583 (from the case back picture above) but I think this should house a caliber 332 bumper not a 343 (the list I have which is not complete shows ref 2499, 2514 and 2518 having this 343 caliber), see if someone else with more knowledge of these bumpers can shed some light.... by the way the movement places it around 1951 or so...

3. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Oct 2, 2014

Yes, I would be expecting it to house a cal 343 too.

Sorry, the old grey cells, etc. I meant the 332. Also, the 343 should show the luxury finish on the crown and ratchet wheel and this one appears not to.

Perhaps we could see the whole case and movement to determine to what degree spacers were used?

4. John R Smith Oct 2, 2014

A real puzzle. We know the Omega Vintage Database is often wrong, but I have never known it this wrong before.

According to the OVD entry, the case reference 2583 should house a calibre 332 movement (30.10mm) and have a press-in back. Whereas your watch has a calibre 343 (28.10mm) and has a screw-in back. I would like to see a picture of the entire movement, not just a detail. On the movement, the 343 is the calibre identification, and 12628067 is the movement serial number, which dates it as already mentioned to 1951. Inside the case back, the various stamps indicate that it is solid 14k gold. 2583 is the case style reference number, and 10922405 is the case serial number. By this time, only solid gold cases were being given a serial number.

The crown has been replaced. The photo is not very well focussed, but I am fairly certain that the dial has been re-finished as well, which is a shame because this style with the Roman numerals is quite unusual for these 'bumper' automatics.

It's still a nice watch, and it would be worth getting a more appropriate crown and having the movement serviced. Thank you for posting :thumbsup:

ChrisN likes this.
  5. Pahawi Oct 2, 2014

6. OmegaNoob Oct 2, 2014

7. OmegaNoob Oct 2, 2014

Thanks for the info!

I'm proud to bring a "tough one" to the Forum! :whistling: I feel better (less dumb) now!

I thought (from my attempt at research) that it looked like things did not "add up" however seemed to be authentic?!

Is this what is known as a "Franken"? (if so, I guess they all are not monsters?? ;) )

It did look to me like the case back was solid 14k, but I was curious about the rest of the watch? My researh looked like most solid gold Omegas were 18k?

I will try and take more (better) photos to post!

Thanks again!

8. Pahawi Oct 2, 2014

Oops, sorry - wrong thread ::facepalm2::

OF = OmegaForum ;)

OmegaNoob likes this.
  9. John R Smith Oct 2, 2014

Better photos would be very helpful. I don't think (so far) that it is a Franken, because even if the watch had a 332 movement in it originally, according to the database the case should not have a screw back. Which it has, and with all the correct Swiss factory ID stamped on it, too. Even the picture in the Omega database record must be wrong, because it looks to me to be of a 2374 which is a different model altogether. The whole watch should be 14k, and most of the Swiss cases of this grade (and period) were made for the American market, it seems. For Europe, 18k was the norm, apart from the UK, which in the 1950s cased Omega movements with English 9k cases from makers like Dennison.

10. OmegaNoob Oct 2, 2014

Here are more photos. Thanks! IMAG0508.jpg IMAG0509.jpg IMAG0510.jpg IMAG0506.jpg IMAG0507.jpg IMAG0505.jpg

11. OmegaNoob Oct 2, 2014

Not crystal clear...trying to get "hallmarks" on outside of the case. Side without the crown to the right near the lug (4th pic). on the right lug (5th pic) and tried to get the crown (sorry blurry again).

12. John R Smith Oct 2, 2014

What I can see from these pix looks OK. The hallmark on the back of one of the lugs is correct. I don't think there is a distance piece (spacer) between the movement and the case, I think what we are seeing there is a (very flattened) lead gasket - which is typical for these early 1950s gold cases. But I may well be wrong, and if so others will chip in to correct me ;)

It would help if you could take another pic of the movement, but move the rotor (gently with a cocktail stick or similar) to the opposite extreme so we can see the balance and the regulator.

13. OmegaNoob Oct 2, 2014

14. OmegaNoob Oct 2, 2014

ugh...they look so much clearer before I post them! :taunt:

15. John R Smith Oct 2, 2014

OK, thank you for those. No new revelations . . . Other 2583 do exist. Here is a steel one, 2583-4, for sale from Belgium, and yes, it has a screw back. Unfortunately the seller does not specify the movement calibre. The bowler hat crown is probably original and correct.

16. OmegaNoob Oct 2, 2014

So, it appears to be authentic and solid 14k?

That's great. I thought it didn't appear to be a highly desirable or collectible piece, but I liked it. And it certainly appears to be somewhat unique :). All the discrepancies you mentioned didn't make sense to me...sure seems to be a lot of variables in this Vintage collecting!

17. OmegaNoob Oct 2, 2014

Thank you again!

Maybe you could tell me...why is it that there seem to be so many inconsistencies in Vintage Omega "rules" (like movements that don't match up with cases, dials, finishes/materials, etc)? Was there that much "custom" work back then?

Thanks again!

18. OmegaNoob Oct 6, 2014

How do you guys recognize a re-finished dial?

19. John R Smith Oct 6, 2014

It depends entirely on the watch in question. In your case, with your dial -

* The proportion of the text OMEGA to AUTOMATIC is wrong. The right-hand sloping leg of the 'A' in Omega should align with the 'I' of Automatic.

* The lowest sub-division of the sub-second dial should align with the 6 o'clock minute tick of the main chapter ring.

Another model, there would be different things to look out for. I stop at 1955 ;)

20. OmegaNoob Oct 6, 2014

Ahhhhh...ok, I see it! I would never have known the first clue, and did notice the second, but figured the subsecond dial had just shifted a little, being so old.

I can see why folks focus on narrowing their collecting to specific models/movments/year ranges!

I thought it was "smart" trying to get pieces from of different styles/models. Now seems risky, at this stage of my knowledge/experience!

:unsure: