Forums Latest Members
  1. RAW1 Mar 9, 2017

Hi,
    New to the site but could do with some help identifying my late Brothers Omega, I think it is a Omega Constallation Jumbo made for Asian markets but I'm not sure::confused2::
    The face is 37mm across if this helps, a few pics attached as well
    Love the watch and wear it for special occasions any ideas on the identity and hsitory would be great to have
    Cheers in advance
    Rob P3090711.JPG P3090712.JPG P3090713.JPG

2. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Mar 9, 2017

Welcome @RAW1
    It looks like a 168.004 hidden crown Connie to me with a 5-row beads of rice bracelet
    Jumbos usually have different shaped lugs
    What makes you think it is an Asian market Omega? (Do you have a backstory?)
    Likely a 561 movement
    Are you sure it's 37mm across? Not nearer 35-ish
    Size matters ;)
    Bezel looks good
    Fonts look good too but Do you have a clearer picture of the dial to be sure?
    Also side pics of lugs and crown ?

3. RAW1 Mar 9, 2017

Hi
    No back story but I tried to do some basic research and the nearest I could find was a blog which suggesed the Asian link
    I have just measured it again and you are correct it is just over 35mm
    I have treid to get some better pics if more are needed I will see a photogpaher friend
    Thanks for your help
    Rob omega back.jpg omega front strap.jpg omega front.jpg

4. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Mar 9, 2017

Well I was hoping for a side shot but from the rear view the 'hidden' crown looks like the original too
    The watch has seen some life but the case and lugs look well defined
    I'm fairly sure it is scratches on the crystal that are distorting the fonts on the dial so my best guess is it's all original
    (If there is a small Omega symbol in the centre of the crystal it's likely the original crystal)

Wind the hands through midnight and then back through 9 and then back through 12 if the date changes it's a 561 movement

Even if you only wear it occasionally you should have the watch serviced by a watchmaker who works on vintage Omegas - after all it's at least 50 years old- no polishing the case just a movement service
    If you do you, can get the Case reference from the inside case back and serial number from the movement which will help date the watch

All in all a very nice dome dial Connie
    A great momento of your brother
    :thumbsup:

5. RAW1 Mar 9, 2017

Wow, thanks for this, I did take it to a watchmaker and he said he could clean it for me but couldn't identify the watch! and then promptly offered me £400 for it 'there and then':(
    So I just walked out as I wasn't sure if I would even get the watch back
    I've just checked and the date does change so the watch is a Constellation dome dial 561? correct?
    I will need to find a reputable watchmaker to service it
    I really appreciate you taking the time to help

6. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Mar 9, 2017

You're welcome
    So a 561 168.004 will be early to mid 60s -only the movement number will give you a closer date
    range
    since you appear to be in the U.K. There are a couple of watchmakers members use
    I use Watchguy
    Good and well priced but difficult to get a slot
    A full service (and a sonic 'bath' for the case and bracelet) will cost around £200 if no major parts are required
    Others can chip in with their recommendations

BTW your Connie is worth at least double what you were offered -probably more with the BOR bracelet
    Definitely change your watchmaker!

I think you said you read a blog
    This one?
    http://omega-constellation-collectors.blogspot.co.uk/?m=1
    Not a lot on .004s but a great section on the movements

7. RAW1 Mar 9, 2017

Hi
    Just had a look at Watchguy I see what you mean about slots, they must be good!
    I'm in the Midlands so there maybe others around
    Thanks once again
    Cheers
    Rob