Forums Latest Members
  1. Mr AR Feb 7, 2015

This watch has just been past down to me. It has very little in the way of markings and is quite underestimed in it's design. It belonged to my grandad who was born in 1902 and lived to the grand age of 104. He grew up in London and later in life lived in Derby. He also outlived two wives! He was thrifty with his money, having been brought up in poor family. He however later became an accountant, so though never one for spending, when he did he would buy at a reasonable degree of quality. I have little in the way of detail to share at this stage, other than the watch is in perfect working condition (the tick sounds wonderful!). The face is somewhat tarnished as is hopefully illustrated by the picture. The strap/bracelet marked on each segment twice with 'Speidel'.

I'm not interested in selling it, but plan on wearing it. I'm happy to have descovered this connection to my late grandad.

Any input appreciated.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
  2. rogart ray it again, Ram. Feb 7, 2015

The speidel flexi strap is not an original Omega . It's a strap that was popular in the 60's . Take it of an clean with an old toothbrush . They often collect a lot of old dirt .

3. Mr AR Feb 7, 2015

Ok, thanks so much rogart. I think this must have been his preference style of strap as he had several watches all with this style, so I guessed he swapped it to suit. Any idea what style the original would have been?

4. rogart ray it again, Ram. Feb 7, 2015

Probably a leather strap . Not a big expert on this Omegas . The flexi straps are rather comfortable to wear and i think they look good on a vintage watch .

5. Mr AR Feb 7, 2015

Yes you're right. It has the same level of wear and tear so blends together well.

6. megamon Feb 7, 2015

Hello, nice watch!

I'm not too familiar with this model. Due to the lack of line designation on the dial and the type of lugs. I would venture to date the timepiece from 1930s to 1950s. The dial is unique with the "dot markers" and the Omega print looks well done, I do not think it was refinished, it looks original to me. Most likely is a manual wind movement, two big things for more identification is:
    1. Inner case back picture
    2. Movement picture

The case looks to be a snap on, when you have the opportunity, have it opened up professionally by a watchmaker. With those pics we can all help with identification. More educated members will be able to tell you more!
    Im very interested in knowing more about this beauty!
    Pinzon

7. Mr AR Feb 7, 2015

Fantastic, thank you! Just got the watch home today, so will look to find someone trust worthy to open it up this week. I really appreciate your comments.

8. Mr AR Feb 7, 2015

So when you say opened by a Watchmaker, does that mean you would avoid a typical high street jeweller?

9. megamon Feb 7, 2015

Yes, I would avoid them.

Jewelry repairman and watchmakers are different. Everyone may have their own opinion on qualifications but I'm strict with mine. Different cases require different methods of opening, screw on and snap on cases appear simple but the slightest slip can cause the opening knife or tool to mark up the watch. I have seen very proficient jewelers damage fine timepieces.

The watchmaker who has opened 10,000 cases will often have better tools, more knowledge and better chances at success.
    Pinzon

10. Mr AR Feb 7, 2015

Thanks and I agree. I've had cheap jewellers change a battery on a watch once and some how they managed to totally damage it! Worse thing was they wouldn't admit to it. Just got to find someone now...

(Loving the journey of discovery)

A.

11. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Feb 7, 2015

Fantastic watch, and wonderful that it remains in the family.
    If I may I would like to offer my advice regarding the dial. You may consider or ignore as you see fit...
    The dial appears original. While it is spotted and worn, it will only be original once. This very dial, as it appears to you now, was what your grandfather gazed upon to know the time of day. If you have it restored, you will lose that connection.
    If the watch piques your interest, let it be the catalyst for finding another example to wear, as a tribute to your priceless original. I have enjoyed examples of another brand (Wittnauer) knowing the Wittnauer my grandfather wore is functioning and safely stored away for use on special occasions.
    My other bit of advice is have the movement serviced by an expert who is sympathetic to its originality.

12. Mr AR Feb 7, 2015

Thanks Time exposure, I'm inclined to take your advice. Will probably where it once or twice now out of pure excitement, but perhaps special occasions from then on (I have a family wedding coming up etc.). Just don't want it to become consigned to the side draw either. I'll try and track an expert down in my area (Sheffield, UK If there are any recommendations?), I have already started to grow attached to the imperfections. It sucks you in this watch business! :)

13. megamon Feb 7, 2015

Oh, I didn't know you were considering refinishing the dial! No, no, no, no :unsure:

You can always choose to refinish but you can never get back the originality of that dial. If your not fond of the dial you may source a replacement through eBay or Omega watchmakers. Slap on that replacement and keep the original tucked away in a safe, when it comes time to sell you can swap it back and sell the original watch and keep or sell the dial separately.

Many collectors do not mind buying refinished dials but you lower your market potential if you do wish to sell. Sourcing a new replacement - you'd have the original for future needs, opening the market for everyone interested!
    I'm in South Florida, unfortunately do not know any watchmakers in the UK. I recommend finding a luxury jewelry & wristwatch seller near you. These stores NEED a watchmaker, sometimes they are hidden in an office on the 7th floor of an building, usually not marketing to the public since wholesaler provide enough work for them. Ask politely and many salesperson will give you contact info for a recommended friendly watchmaker.

Best of luck! :thumbsup:
    Pinzon

14. Mr AR Feb 7, 2015

Cheers man, and don't worry, I plan to keep it in it's original state. :)

15. redpcar Feb 7, 2015

Stretchies are bad for watches, too. Undo wear on the insides of the lugs. The springs are constantly pushing very hard stainless up against your watch. Very bad. Do the world a favor and toss it in the trash.

noelekal likes this.
  16. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 8, 2015

Yep, those spring loaded fillers that allow the bracelet to be used with a variety of lug widths are very bad for precious metal and base metal watches. I would even take them off SS watches as well.

Cheers, Al

noelekal and megamon like this.
  17. rogart ray it again, Ram. Feb 8, 2015

Filling bad for recommending such a bad bracelet . I just think they could look good on a vintage watch. But their are flexies or stretchies or expandebles without the spring load extenders . I have seen leather straps wearing marks in the lugs .

18. lamzeer Feb 13, 2015

You are super fortunate to have your grandfather's watch. One of my grandfathers worked for Cadillac for 40 years. He got a gold (plate?) watch. I've never seen it, to know the make. I'm sure an uncle has it, but the condition???? I'm happy for you.

Mr AR likes this.
  19. Mr AR Mar 7, 2015

Ok, so I'm sorry it has taken me so long to bring an update. I finally found a quality watch repairer to open it up and it is now undergoing a service. It's working really well, but hopefully this will keep that the case for many more years to come.

I took a couple of quick pictures of the inside. If you can help with any more I for on the watch and it's age I would be glad to hear it. Also, I would be interested to hear if you have anything similar?

image.jpg image.jpg
    noelekal likes this.
  20. Mr AR Mar 7, 2015

I'd also be interested in what you would deem as a good option for an authentic replacement strap. :)