Identification assistance requested

This watch belonged to my father-in-law. He had a bunch of old watches, most were Hamilton and similar, but my wife found this Omega and asked me if I wanted it. I do not, I didn't like him, don't want his old watch and besides, it's kind of small (measures around 35mm). But it does run and appears to be in decent condition.

I'm guessing it's from the 70s, and the "stickers" that I found (pictured) may not be model numbers but stock numbers (50211), and I presume that 66.00 was the price. Any ideas, thoughts, suggestions, comments?

Thanks!
Michael

Open it up and check the reference number. That's the easiest thing to do.

Doh! I never thought of that, thanks! Do these old watch backs pop off, or screw off?

Doh! I never thought of that, thanks! Do these old watch backs pop off, or screw off?
Both but yours unscrews. What have you been doing on the board since 2013?

What have you been doing on the board since 2013?

I like shiny new stuff. I know little about anything made before 1990s...

I like shiny new stuff. I know little about anything made before 1990s...
I suggest you spend some time on the Vintage Omega board. Also, old watches open the same way new ones do.

These are very useful and easily acquired.

(stock photo)

I don't have a clue what that is, but I already bought some kind of wundertool to take off the backs on most watches, which should fit this old Omega. Thanks for the suggestion though.

I did what Archer says we neophytes should never do - try to regulate a watch ourselves. I did it very successfully on a Speedmaster, impressed myself on a terribly inaccurate watch-whose-name-may-not-be-mentioned-on-this-forum and and then totally buggered up some cheap Chinese POS that was running 40 seconds a day fast. Now it doesn't run at all, LOL. Sold it on eBay "as is".

That was an expensive lesson. Glad I learned it on the POS rather than the Speedy.

impressed myself on a terribly inaccurate watch-whose-name-may-not-be-mentioned-on-this-forum

You have an Invicta? 😲

You have an Invicta? 😲

LOL, no.

My understanding of forum rules is that we are not allowed to discuss or mention or even think about a "homage" watch.

Reminds me of a joke. I think it was Steven Wright who said it.

So, I was walking down the street and there was a sign in front of a building. It said "don't even think about walking on the grass."

What a shame, because it was really nice, clean, green, freshly cut grass, and I could just imagine the tender blades tickling my toes.

Then a cop walked up and wrote me a ticket.

I did what Archer says we neophytes should never do - try to regulate a watch ourselves. I did it very successfully on a Speedmaster, impressed myself on a terribly inaccurate watch-whose-name-may-not-be-mentioned-on-this-forum and and then totally buggered up some cheap Chinese POS that was running 40 seconds a day fast. Now it doesn't run at all, LOL. Sold it on eBay "as is".

That was an expensive lesson. Glad I learned it on the POS rather than the Speedy.

Well, not my photo, but a watchmaker on a email list I'm part of sent this out last week:

This is from a Powermatic 80 movement, and it uses two adjustable weights on the balance for regulation. One weight was missing completely, and the other was rattling around inside the watch, and the arm on the balance where one of the weights attaches was broken off. The customer (who sent this in via a third party jewellery store) swears that no one had been inside the watch...

This is what the balance looks like when it's intact:

Anyway, proceed with caution folks! 😉

Cheers, Al

(stock photo)
What is that called? Is it filled with air or something firmer?

What is that called? Is it filled with air or something firmer?

What, the watch case opener balls? IIRC, the best ones are filled with unicorn urine.

Thanks all for the help! It is a KM6312, which was (from what I can find) made in 1968 as an "inexpensive" gold-filled model for the US market, with fewer jewels in the movement to avoid taxes on fancy watches. The movement, as you may be able to tell in the picture below, appears to be a rose gold-toned edition, which is quite lovely. Just the minor amount of handling the watch to get the back off was enough to get the movement going, and it's very quiet (for whatever that's worth).

What, the watch case opener balls? IIRC, the best ones are filled with unicorn urine.
😀😉😀 Hahaha!

https://www.esslinger.com/bergeon-8007-watch-case-opening-ball/ If you have an old Kong dog toy around, they work well too, just rub the end with rubbing alcohol to get the sheen off it first. You’ll need to buy your dog a new toy, but win win for everyone

I see a lot more Bergeon 8008 (black) available for sale that the 8007. Esslinger has both. What is the difference? They are the same diameter.