Forums Latest Members

Ideal amount of information on pre-owned watch

1. watchantti Apr 28, 2018

Consider yourself buying a pre-owned watch from an unknown seller. In ideal situation, what kind of information you would like to know about the watch/seller before the purchase?

2. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Apr 28, 2018

1. That they actually have the watch.
    2. It is in the condition they claimed.
    3. If wiring funds, consider having a video chat first, and asking them to flash an ID while on the conference. (if using PayPal and/ or credit card, you will be better protected as a buyer)

watchantti and 77deluxe like this.
  3. 77deluxe Apr 28, 2018

As much as possible. Good quality pics of the watch at multiple angles, the service history, originality- whether it has any aftermarket parts, was it redialed or polished, etc. Is the seller a dealer? If so, the dealer’s reputation and history. If there is a return policy, and how do they accept payment. It’s basically the same for private sellers, but you may want them to provide references. I’m sure others here will add better advice.

watchantti likes this.
  4. dwboston Apr 28, 2018

Proof they actually have the watch in their possession, multiple high-quality photos, service history. Original box/papers/cards are a plus. I view accepting Paypal as almost a requirement from a buyer protection standpoint. I would be willing to do a bank wire with well-known dealers here, but Paypal is a must for private sales.

watchantti likes this.
  5. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Apr 28, 2018

Unless they have a valid receipt for service, consider the watch to need service.

watchantti likes this.
  6. watchantti Apr 29, 2018

Great answers, thank you! I've been toying around with this idea of a cloud service where users could document history of their watch, store photos, share everything with potential buyers or other users, and pass everything to the next owner if the watch gets sold. Would that kind of service bring trust to situations like these, or would me and my friends be the only users? :)

There is also a website for the idea, but I don't want to solicit, so PM me if you want to see it.

davten likes this.
  7. roadsternet Apr 29, 2018

One Photo that shows :
    The watch / Passport / Bank account card

GuiltyBoomerang and watchantti like this.
  8. davten Apr 29, 2018

This is a great idea.
    Follow the link from here, on forums/ insta etc.
    Would very much improve trust if everything was there to see.

watchantti likes this.