Forums Latest Members

ID vintage zenith automatic chronometre

1. maeglutz Mar 26, 2016

My father just gave me this. It was his father's. Would love to know more about it 20160326_131811.jpg

2. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Mar 26, 2016

Very likely a cal. 133.8 bumper chronometre, and you are a lucky guy. It's an outstanding movement, and your watch is very pretty.

Do you feel a bump when you move your arm around? I expect so, but of not, then it's a full rotor automatic, and the hardcore Zenith collectors will fill you in.

Congratulations in either case!

3. maeglutz Mar 26, 2016

Thank you!
    I just took the watch off, put my fingers under the watch and swung my arm around wildly and pretty sure there is no bump. I just googled full rotor... I know nothing about watches.

I'm actually a girl and it fits me reasonably well on the tightest setting, though a tiny bit tighter would be nice.

My father never wore it because he's more of a sports stainless steel deep diving watch man.

4. maeglutz Mar 26, 2016

There is a 6 digit number on the back but when I Google nothing comes up. Maybe it's a serial.

5. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Mar 26, 2016

Ah, sorry, then you're a lucky girl! Full rotor chronometres were a later development for Zenith, and are more efficient. Really lovely watch – your grandpa had good taste!

The reason that I guessed bumper is because the dial style seems to be early (say '50s), but that's obviously not a perfect guide.

Cheers,

Tony

6. maeglutz Mar 26, 2016

sohail likes this.
  7. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Mar 27, 2016

The six digit case reference would indicate a gold case. The only times I have seen that circular age related markings on the dial have been on bumpers and the dial style does also suggest a 133.8 as Tony suggests.

8. maeglutz Mar 27, 2016

If I hold the casing tight between my fingers and move it fast I THINK I MIGHT feel a bump. Nothing I would ever have noticed without this information. Thank you.

9. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Mar 27, 2016

Isn't anyone going to mention that it might not be all that good for an old watch to be swinging it around like you are winding up for a fastball?

It is a cal 133.8, maeglutz - really nice watch and especially on that gold milanese bracelet - plus it is your granddad's. You should know the mechanical bits inside are reasonably robust, but also more than a half-century old. They are not really built to take a lickin' as the old Timex ad says. Also, these need to be serviced every 5 years or so, so if it is due, I wouldn't wear it a whole lot before taking it to a watchmaker.

10. maeglutz Mar 27, 2016

Ok, I won't wind it anymore and I'll take it to a watchmaker this week. Does it take long to service? If he can do it in front of me I can take pictures of the movement

11. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Mar 27, 2016

He'll open it for you to take pics, but you'll need to leave it for the service.