Forums Latest Members
  1. OmegaOwner2019 Oct 1, 2021

So I came across some posts on another forum about the "Ice Cube Test" to check for the amount of moisture in a watch, or to check for potential water ingress.
    Some people say it's normal to have some light misting of the crystal, while others say there should absolutely be no misting at all.

I did some testing on my watch collection (none of them have been opened or serviced), and it seems that I could induce some condensation on all my watches. Ironically, my newly purchased Seamaster actually had the most misting.
    However, with all the watches, there were no water droplets and the misting faded within 1-2 minutes.

How do I interpret the result of this test? Is there some sort of cut off for "too much moisture"?

2. Donn Chambers Oct 1, 2021

Are you sure the fog was on the inside? Because a cold crystal exposed to warm moist air will fog on the Outside, which isn’t a problem.

Foo2rama likes this.
  3. NGO1 Oct 1, 2021

I have yet to to test my airbags.
    I’ll just have to take Toyota word in this.

4. OmegaOwner2019 Oct 1, 2021

Yes, the fogging is most certainly inside for all of them. I made sure to wipe the external condensation off with tissue.

I can actually see the internal fine misting slowly recede.

5. perks713 Oct 1, 2021

Mmm, and Toyota had the same thought and took Takata‘s word for it too…

NGO1 likes this.
  6. wagudc Oct 1, 2021

I asked him to test my watches, and I just got this look:

[​IMG]

Edited Oct 1, 2021
    hen, M Garner, flw and 4 others like this.
  7. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Oct 1, 2021

I don't know how there could be no moisture at all with this test unless all the air was somehow vacuumed out of the case. Warmer air holds more moisture than cooler air. The air in the case contains a certain amount of moisture. If the temperature drops enough -- which it will at the interior face of the crystal -- condensation will form. You cannot get around that without somehow changing the laws of physics.

Foo2rama and wagudc like this.
  8. Duckie Oct 1, 2021

Results will vary as you have already noted.
    Some will have condesation whilst others will barely have anything at all.
    The key consideration is whether the moisture lingers for an extended period of time or dissipates within a short period of time.
    The longer it lingers the more moisture there is.
    When the misting is at the point where larger droplets are forming, I consider this to be something which needs further investigation.

With the amount of misting you have and the speed at which it disipates, I would say you are fine:thumbsup:

9. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Oct 2, 2021

hence why I never get my watch serviced in Florida.