Forums Latest Members
  1. avgjoe13 Aug 9, 2016

Hi everyone I'm new to this forum, it's actually my first watch forum, had to make an account to ask about this watch I came across on Ebay, just can't get it off my mind.

I can't find any information on the black/red dial or two-tone dials for that matter. I believe there is a Seamaster as well with a two-tone dial (DeVille red/silver).

Is there anyone who could shed some light on this? I would like to know if they are rare, if this watch really is from 69, what the reference number is, etc. I would really appreciate it!

Edited by a mod Jun 1, 2023
  2. werdna77 Aug 9, 2016

Two tone dials are an interesting topic and an be rare, but in my opinion (which is not expert) this one is not an original dial. I am also not certain some of the other components are correct or belong together on this piece.

3. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Aug 9, 2016

The seller should be able to provide that info for the price they asking.

They should also be aware that that dial is "refinished".

Personally I would avoid that watch and by extension that seller.

4. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Aug 9, 2016

5. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 9, 2016

Refinished dial which greatly reduces value. That seller has very poor reputation among watch collectors for producing over priced tarted up junk.

LouS likes this.
  6. avgjoe13 Aug 9, 2016

Duly noted guys, thanks.
    But why is it so difficult to find any good info on red/black or red/silver two-tone dials? I think they look so good, makes me think they are pretty rare then. I haven't found any other ones on Ebay, well except for this one which looks pretty good to me.. though the red stitching on the strap makes me cringe.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-6...181208?hash=item236b5e0d18:g:jd4AAMXQBkpSME9JPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Cheers

7. ConElPueblo Aug 9, 2016

Thank God they are rare - utter crap redials, the lot of them.

LouS and werdna77 like this.
  8. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 9, 2016

Another refinished piece of crap.
    The reason you are having a hard time is that they were seldom made. They are also not rare in the desirable sense, they just were not and are not desirable in older vintage. If you are set on red look at some newer sport or chronographs.
    Omega-Speedmaster-Schumacher-1996-Jon-Connors-1-2.jpg omega-vancouver-2010-olympic-seamaster-5.jpg Omega_Speedmaster_proffessional_mo0.jpg

9. werdna77 Aug 9, 2016

Also if you like red this limited edition Japanese Seamaster could be a good option image.jpeg

10. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Aug 9, 2016

I can only think of one vintage watch with a red dial (Reverso) and that's not two tone. Back in the day, wearing a red-dialed watch was generally considered about as appropriate as wearing red shoes

11. avgjoe13 Aug 9, 2016

Haha to each his own I guess. I like te fact that they are unusual and have some color, It's also not too conservative and that's why I like it.
    I'm not even a fan of the color red, too bright for me but somehow I think it works with silver or black/gold.
    Anyways it's gonna be really hard finding an original one I suppose.
    Does redial in this case mean that it's not authentic?
    I don't even own a watch but I've decided that I want to buy a vintage Omega sometime soon, just doing some research ;)
    Thanks again guys

12. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Aug 9, 2016

If I may ask, why have you chosen Omega?

13. avgjoe13 Aug 9, 2016

Couple of reasons.
    1. When I lived in Dubai a friend of a friend was wearing this beautiful vintage watch, I was intrigued and asked him the brand, he told me that it's an Omega (no idea which kind).
    2. My father lives in Switzerland, every time I visit him I see so many watches and Omega's just speak to me, especially the vintage ones.
    3. I saw the new Constellation Globemaster in a magazine and loved the pie-pan dial.
    That's when I found out that I'd rather have a vintage Omega cause my favourite time period for design are the 60's and 70's, I'm from 88.
    4. They are cheaper than I expected compared to modern watches.
    5. There's something about the name, logo, and history that I like.
    There are more reasons but you get the idea.

cvrle1 and ConElPueblo like this.
  14. avgjoe13 Aug 9, 2016

15. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 9, 2016

16. ConElPueblo Aug 9, 2016

Those are great reasons :thumbsup:

There are possible ways of buying a solid example - one of them is to spend hours pouring over the back catalogue of Omegaforums "Vintage Omega" subforum (which I did - a great way to spend a lot of time!), which will give you a solid foundation of knowledge to choose legitimate, unspoiled models from. It'll make you appreciate the choice you make in the end even more :)

17. avgjoe13 Aug 9, 2016

Okay let me get this straight..
    Can you compare a refinished dial with restoring the paint on a classic car?
    Is a redial a complete new dial?
    I'm not planning on collecting watches but I would of course like to wear a watch which is also close to original so it might even be a good investment.

I'm afraid I've already started reading the forums and looking into which watch I want, it's already taking up too much of my time but I do the same with cars and motorcycles so I'm used to it haha, I'm too obsessive!
    So if I find a watch I like I can post it here to see what it is exactly and if it's a good deal, right?
    Thanks again everyone for your replies!

18. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Aug 9, 2016

More like refinishing a great piece of old furniture. It may look all new and snazzy but for the collector and aficionado the value gets more or less destroyed.

A redial is many things; sometimes it is a new dial that is not the 'correct' dial and sometimes it's a paint job.

Look, here's the deal: if you like the way a piece looks - and you have the disposable - buy it and enjoy. I've got at least one piece I bought and eventually found out it's what is called a 'frankenwatch' but I really don't care because it's a cool looking watch. I get more compliments on that watch from people that see it on my wrist than anything else. Would I dare show it here? Would I show it to a watch collector? Hell NO.

Mouse_at_Large likes this.
  19. ConElPueblo Aug 9, 2016

Honestly? Please don't.

Do your own research first, make your own assesment and then come here and post your thoughts. Partly out of respect for the members here, partly for your own sake.

Start out by reading this: https://omegaforums.net/threads/for-the-new-members-read.23288/

20. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Aug 9, 2016

+1 for this. Watches are made to be worn and enjoyed by their owners. Sure redials etc. won't appeal to the "collectors and aficionados", but there's a big watch wearing community that likes the older styles, but does not want patina/wear and tear/signs of age as it does not appeal to them.

I fully understand that this community is heavily biased towards the collector mentality, but those who would wear restored/redialled watches are not automatically beneath contempt, they may just have a different aesthetc and attitude.

It may not sing to the collector, but as long as they like and enjoy the watch, I say wear it in good health. I'd rather some of these non-originals/redials etc. found a new home on a non-collector's wrist than moulder away and be discarded because they don't come up to "collector grade"

Also, please note that I do not condone the passing off as original known redials/non-originals, neither do I think they are all the work of malign forces dedicated to pissing off collectors.