Forums Latest Members
  1. Tom W. Oct 19, 2015

Hello,

My knowledge of Omega Vintage watches is very limited and therefore I thought to ask you some advice.

I bought a Omega "pilot wrist watch" from my friend about 10 years ago. He was a keen collector of watches and therefore I am confident that he sold me a good quality watch. The price was about 800 € if I recall correctly.

I used the watch a couple of times but then the little pointer got loose. I put the watch to drawer waiting for repair - which never came (sad to say).

Now I discovered the watch again and wanted to find out some more about the watch. I am not able to ask my friend anymore so I turn to you...

As I can read it, the serial number is 6600792. I found a list of serial no:s and production years and it indicated that this watch was from 1926. I am not sure if that is correct.

There is a symbol of the plane and propeller in the dialer, but I wasn´t able to found a match anywhere.

The watch is in good condition as it was fully serviced before I bought it.

Please, can anybody tell me anything about this watch?

I would very much appreciate you taking your time to help me out. Any information is useful.

Kind regards,

Tom

wp_20151019_23_35_28_pro.jpg wp_20151019_23_36_58_pro.jpg
  2. Mikey Oct 19, 2015

I'm no professional, so take this with a grain of salt, but it appears to me that the watch isn't all original. I don't see the point of Omega painting a plane on the dial unless it's a functioning part or a redial.

The dial also doesn't look like it's been crafted at Omega's standards (war era?). That's my unprofessional opinion (could be entirely wrong), I'm sure more experienced members could help you.

Edited Oct 19, 2015
    efauser likes this.
  3. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Oct 19, 2015

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news Tom.

What you have is an old pocket watch movement with a fanciful re-painted dial stuffed into a generic wristwatch case.

Nothing like that ever left the Omega factory.

These are known as "marriage" watches and are often found on eBay from sellers in the Ukraine, Poland, Bulgaria etc.

Here's an example of a JLC using a case similar to yoursPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network.

Their sales blurb often has reams of regurgitated information about "Omega" to try and justify their authenticity.

They are in my opinion, frankens, novelties, attempts to deceive.

Cheers

Jim

Tom W. likes this.
  4. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Oct 19, 2015

5. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Oct 19, 2015

Sorry, have to agree, not at all a pilots watch. The only part from Omega would be the pocket watch movement in it.

Your friend isn't much of a friend if he pawned this piece of shit off on you for 800 €.

Geo! and Jacquot like this.
  6. PatrickJ Oct 20, 2015

Sorry re the bad news. Save up and go and buy a new one from an authorised dealer. No way do you have a Frankenstein or fake then.

7. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Oct 20, 2015

I'm guessing his friend was actually his uncle.

bencrouch25 likes this.
  8. vincereynard Oct 20, 2015

Edited Oct 20, 2015