I went fishing on Ebay and hooked 2652 no name connie

It does have a fair bit of patina. It looks to be missing a screw and has the wrong crown. These are the pictures from the Ebay listing. It should be arriving in a few days so I will add more pictures then. This is the 1st Omega I have purchased since inheriting my grandfather's watch and its safe to say I have caught the vintage collecting bug. My question is did i get a good deal on it at 995 USD? I remember reading an older thread here that these don't go fore less than 1000 anymore. s-l1600.jpg s-l1601.jpg s-l1602.jpg s-l1603.jpg s-l1604.jpg s-l1605.jpg s-l1606.jpg s-l1607.jpg s-l1608.jpg s-l1609.jpg s-l16010.jpg s-l16011.jpg s-l16012.jpg s-l16013.jpg s-l16014.jpg

I am by no mean an expert, but I’ll get started anyway!!

The hobnail dials with arrowhead markers are pretty uncommon for this reference and incredibly hard to find, so that’s a great point. One has to say they look incredible. Your dial has quite some damage from water perhaps at some point (the crown is not original or signed) and on the edges. The dial is clearly the best point about the watch in my opinion, so the question is really how this damage renders in real life, rather than in magnified pictures…

A few screws missing on the movement, plus the regulator position suggest it will need a service. Maybe finding the correct crown to replace it during the service would be a good idea to prevent further damage to the dial later on. This needs to be factored into your final price, somewhat. Make sure you identify a competent watchmaker.

The case has been polished, but these references don’t have sharp edges (someone correct me if wrong) so I’d say it’s less an issue than on other references. The observatory and stars are quite soft though.

Ultimately these go for much higher prices normally, although condition puts a large premium or discount. If the dial looks nice in person and you’re ok with the patina / damage, then it’s a very cool watch as your first. Definitely not quite the usual first vintage buy!

There is one for sale in the private section at the moment. https://omegaforums.net/threads/omega-constellation-2652-hobnail-arrowhead.165825/

I have seen another sell for 5500€ recently from a dealer with an almost perfect two tone hobnail dial (although I can’t remember if the reference was exactly the same).

There is a thread on these as well (check the listing) if you want more info.

Nice watch, price just OK given condition.
The case is quite polished so would be a pass for most collectors. The dial is good, not great while being a well loved style.
Movement could use servicing.
I would wear it.
I apologize if I am being too direct.

I am by no mean an expert, but I’ll get started anyway!!

The hobnail dials with arrowhead markers are pretty uncommon for this reference and incredibly hard to find, so that’s a great point. One has to say they look incredible. Your dial has quite some damage from water perhaps at some point (the crown is not original or signed) and on the edges. The dial is clearly the best point about the watch in my opinion, so the question is really how this damage renders in real life, rather than in magnified pictures…

A few screws missing on the movement, plus the regulator position suggest it will need a service. Maybe finding the correct crown to replace it during the service would be a good idea to prevent further damage to the dial later on. This needs to be factored into your final price, somewhat. Make sure you identify a competent watchmaker.

The case has been polished, but these references don’t have sharp edges (someone correct me if wrong) so I’d say it’s less an issue than on other references. The observatory and stars are quite soft though.

Ultimately these go for much higher prices normally, although condition puts a large premium or discount. If the dial looks nice in person and you’re ok with the patina / damage, then it’s a very cool watch as your first. Definitely not quite the usual first vintage buy!

There is one for sale in the private section at the moment. https://omegaforums.net/threads/omega-constellation-2652-hobnail-arrowhead.165825/

I have seen another sell for 5500€ recently from a dealer with an almost perfect two tone hobnail dial (although I can’t remember if the reference was exactly the same).

There is a thread on these as well (check the listing) if you want more info.

Nice watch, price just OK given condition.
The case is quite polished so would be a pass for most collectors. The dial is good, not great while being a well loved style.
Movement could use servicing.
I would wear it.
I apologize if I am being too direct.

Thank you for the reply and info, it is much appreciated. @Bruce235 no apologize necessary, direct is always good. Is this hobnail and not waffle dial as i originally thought?

Usually we just congratulate people on a purchase, but since you asked about getting a good deal, I will be candid. The dial is ruined by water damage. And the case is badly overpolished. Hopefully the movement is not too badly damaged by the water intrusion. Personally, this is not how I would spend $1k.
Edited:

Usually we just congratulate people on a purchase, but since you asked about getting a good deal, I will be candid. The dial is ruined by water damage. And the case is badly overpolished. Hopefully the movement is not too badly damaged by the water intrusion. Personally, this is not how I would spend $1k.
No worries, I appreciate it and will chalk it up to experience (a costly one but oh well) and hopefully will learn to spot mistakes/issues like these better before pulling the trigger again on a watch bid. I do hope its not as bad in person. hindsight being 20/20 I should have posted on here and asked before placing a bid.
Edited:

Wearable, certainly. Collectible, probably not.

Still, we all enjoy watches, we like different watches and we wear what we like.

A reference 2652 without the Constellation text on the dial would be a first generation Globemaster, would it not? Here’s mine from 1952.
upload_2023-12-1_11-18-27.jpeg
And I don’t think that’s a hobnail dial on the OP’s watch. This is a hobnail dial:
upload_2023-12-1_11-32-24.jpeg
Edited:

A reference 2652 without the Constellation text on the dial would be a first generation Globemaster, would it not? Here’s mine from 1952.
upload_2023-12-1_11-18-27.jpeg
And I don’t think that’s a hobnail dial on the OP’s watch. This is a hobnail dial:
upload_2023-12-1_11-32-24.jpeg
Yep indeed, apologies for the confusion. Have since taken a double expresso, clearly needed one. 😁

While the criticisms of the watch are valid, the price you paid not so much. I think an unsigned Connie/Globemaster with a waffle dial is pretty rare. IMO, you got a bargain.

It arrived today and here are some more pictures: viber_image_2023-12-03_19-12-19-574.jpg viber_image_2023-12-03_19-12-19-595.jpg viber_image_2023-12-03_19-12-19-631.jpg viber_image_2023-12-03_19-12-19-717.jpg viber_image_2023-12-03_19-12-20-059.jpg viber_image_2023-12-03_19-13-00-032.jpg viber_image_2023-12-03_19-13-00-076.jpg viber_image_2023-12-03_19-13-00-101.jpg viber_image_2023-12-03_19-13-00-131.jpg viber_image_2023-12-03_19-13-00-160.jpg viber_image_2023-12-03_19-13-00-193.jpg viber_image_2023-12-03_19-13-00-217.jpg viber_image_2023-12-03_19-13-00-247.jpg viber_image_2023-12-03_19-13-00-468.jpg
It had some polishing compound residue in between the bezel and the rest of the case and around the lugs. Am I correct in assuming that the biggest sign of polishing is that the bezel has a less defined bevel? The medallion shows all 8 stars and looks like it had some tape put over it to protect it when it was polished as there was an adhesive residue. The the movement is loose in the case because the pin is not in the right position I assume but the pin and case clamp + screw are there, it is missing one screw (is it the barrel bridge or keyless works? still learning so am uncertain what if that is what its called). The movement does not seem to be water damaged and the balance moves but I will know for sure once my watchmaker services it. As for the water staining on the dial around the 1 to 5 indices, it does not look half as bad with the naked eye, the staining on the edges of the dial don't really show up as they are to the naked eye, it looks more like dirt and I am hoping these can be cleaned up with a brush or Rodico putty. The crystal is probably incorrect as it does not have the gold colored retaining ring. All in all I am not too discouraged by the condition of the watch, yes it could be better but I doubt I would be able to find or afford one in near perfect condition, but yes, it is a project to be sure.

Don’t be discouraged in any way - it’s difficult to find a bargain these days, and mint condition usually often means strong prices for sought after references. At the end of the day, what counts is to like, enjoy and wear the watch!

Not collector grade by any means, but with a little work it will make a fine daily wearer and the purchase price wasn't unreasonable.