Forums Latest Members

I was quite happy with Chronometer accuracy, until I read this...

1. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Oct 15, 2020

Bold emphasis mine... :D

BOULDER, Colo. – Scientists have known for decades that time passes faster at higher elevations—a curious aspect of Einstein's theories of relativity that previously has been measured by comparing clocks on the Earth's surface and a high-flying rocket.

Now, physicists at the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) have measured this effect at a more down-to-earth scale of 33 centimeters, or about 1 foot, demonstrating, for instance, that you age faster when you stand a couple of steps higher on a staircase.

Described in the Sept. 24 issue of Science,* the difference is much too small for humans to perceive directly—adding up to approximately 90 billionths of a second over a 79-year lifetime—but may provide practical applications in geophysics and other fields.

Similarly, the NIST researchers observed another aspect of relativity—that time passes more slowly when you move faster—at speeds comparable to a car travelling about 20 miles per hour, a more comprehensible scale than previous measurements made using jet aircraft.

NIST scientists performed the new "time dilation" experiments by comparing operations of a pair of the world's best experimental atomic clocks. The nearly identical clocks are each based on the "ticking" of a single aluminum ion (electrically charged atom) as it vibrates between two energy levels over a million billion times per second. One clock keeps time to within 1 second in about 3.7 billion years (see NIST's Second 'Quantum Logic Clock' Based on Aluminum Ion is Now World's Most Precise Clock) and the other is close behind in performance. The two clocks are located in different laboratories at NIST and connected by a 75-meter-long optical fiber.

Read the interesting source article here:

https://www.nist.gov/news-events/ne...ks-reveal-einsteins-relativity-personal-scale

Vitezi, bubba48, omegaswisst and 2 others like this.
  2. airansun In the shuffling madness Oct 15, 2020

I’m selling my two story house.

I’m buying back my motorcycles. I’m going to live on the road.

Thanks for these long life tips!

Joe_A, 89-0, Larry S and 4 others like this.
  3. M'Bob Oct 15, 2020

Now Omega has a new accuracy standard to shoot for...