Forums Latest Members

I was outbid on this... did I dodge a bullet or miss a good'en?

1. marsy101 Jul 4, 2013

Honeycomb/waffle Cross Hair Dial, Cal 471, case reference 2802 (which took me here - Omege Database)

Taking in to consideration the advice I've read on here over the past couple of weeks, I thought the lugs looked sharp, the dial looks original (and obviously has some fading at the 8 marker) but that the hands might not be original. My other concern was that if there are luminous elements on the hands, there was a strong chance that it should also be indicated by the 'swiss made'.

I like the waffle dial but I couldn't find any info about the cross hair/waffle combination, which caused doubts.

I bid 335 UK Pounds, it went for 340. Would it have been worth buying?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Jul 4, 2013

Looks good to me.... I have similar one back home. Agree with you the hands might not the original.
    The price is a bit high but might be normal for UK standard.

3. ulackfocus Jul 4, 2013

That watch is probably old enough to predate tritium lume, although I agree that the hands are probably replacements. I think they should be that dauphine shape, but solid. It's a nice watch and very crisp as you mentioned. At $512 / £340 it wasn't a steal, but not a bad deal.

4. Mathlar Jul 4, 2013

Dial looks nice. It does appear to have lume blobs next to the hour markers, and so these must be radium, not tritium and hence no T markings. I have the same on a 1957 Seamaster, caliber 471.

5. marsy101 Jul 4, 2013

Thanks guys. Nice to know that I'm starting to spot things!

6. marsy101 Jul 4, 2013

Mathlar, what am I looking for to see these lume blobs? I see a few 'blobs' but nothing that seems to be consistent.

7. Mathlar Jul 4, 2013

There are tiny yellowish blobs on the outsides of the hour markers...

8. Sprob Jul 4, 2013

Hi marsy, I was bidding on the same watch but topped out at 330. Like you I'm feeling my way through the ins and outs of authenticity issues and thought this piece probably looked ok although I was also concerned about the hands and cross hairs.

Thanks to the contributors here for the great pointers. And good for both of us that we didn't lose our heads and overpay!

9. marsy101 Jul 4, 2013

thanks. So these are blobs of radium?

10. marsy101 Jul 4, 2013

This is a small community!

I'm glad I didn't push it too hard. The last 10-15 secs of an auction is the danger zone! However, I will be comfortable 'slightly' over paying for a good example. Now I know how hard they are to come by, there is a perceived added value in simply finding one.

11. Mathlar Jul 5, 2013

Yes, I believe so, and the hands may have originally been lumed too.