I was asked a question that stumped me.

I was asked; "Does the chronograph run on a Speedmaster Pro when you are setting the watch?"

This made me...

umm-wait.gif

I immediately thought I had the answer, then thought some more... but still wasn't 100% sure then I wondered what about the new 3861, and realized I have no idea.

While I have not checked, I am pretty sure the 321 and 861 will continue to run, but does the 3861 since it hacks?

Let's get some guesses, don't google it.

but does the 3861 since it hacks?
No. The chronograph gearing pairs to the running seconds when engaged. If you hack the seconds, the chronograph seconds has nothing to move with.

While I have not checked, I am pretty sure the 321 and 861
Yes, I have set the time on my 861 while the chronograph was running. The chrono seconds hand became a little “jumpy” as I rotated the crown, but it kept going.

No. The chronograph gearing pairs to the running seconds when engaged. If you hack the seconds, the chronograph seconds has nothing to move with.

Yes, I have set the time on my 861 while the chronograph was running. The chrono seconds hand became a little “jumpy” as I rotated the crown, but it kept going.

that was my thinking as well.

it was still a question that made me pause, as I assumed it was a simple answer at first then thought about the new movement.

Simple - if the watch is running the chronograph can be as well.

If a Speedmaster leaves the station on train A headed west at 5:00pm and crosses the Intl date line (shhh...it's my story problem) on it's way to station B in Honolulu but is delayed by a tropical cyclone for 4.5 hours, what time will it be in Tel Aviv when the Speedmaster reaches station C in Alice Springs, AUS?

If a Speedmaster leaves the station on train A headed west at 5:00pm and crosses the Intl date line (shhh...it's my story problem) on it's way to station B in Honolulu but is delayed by a tropical cyclone for 4.5 hours, what time will it be in Tel Aviv when the Speedmaster reaches station C in Alice Springs, AUS?

Is the train traveling on any terrain where the grass needs to be cut?

Simple - if the watch is running the chronograph can be as well.

I think I'd heard somewhere that you shouldn't set the time while a chronograph is running though - any validity to that?

I think I'd heard somewhere that you shouldn't set the time while a chronograph is running though - any validity to that?
I never adjust the time while the chronograph is running, just common sense to me. But whether it would cause any issues long term, I dunno.

Nope - won't hurt anything to se the time with the chronograph running.

When absolutely everything concerning a Speedy have been discussed to death, the elders of high post count can find even more. 😉

Never thought to try it…… 1861 runs but also jumps….. 3861 stops dead on the tracks when it hacks. Don’t think I will be doing it again on either watch but an interesting question. 321 will also run with a skip or two I imagine but they are not here today. Now can someone explain why the watch winder is having no effect?.

Is the train traveling on any terrain where the grass needs to be cut?

Thank you @m’bob for the Saturday morning lol!
I am guessing there will be no snow needing to be blown on this journey?

(post count +1)