Forums Latest Members

I wanted to ask about the JLC gothic logo.

1. chipsotoole Jun 7, 2018

Hi Omegoids,
    My local junk shop guy has one of these for sale. I'm not biting as his asking price is too high (400 Euros), and I'm pretty certain the crown is wrong...The movement is certainly the genuine article
    But what puzzles me the most is this gothic type logo on the dial. Is it actually genuine? With this one (on the bay) I've only ever seen three like this. I can't find anything on the net and the junk shop guy insists it's a military watch from WWII but I'm not so sure...the styling and hands suggest postwar 1946-55 . Anyone able to shed some light on this? jlcfunnylogo.jpg
    thanks in advance.

2. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Jun 7, 2018

Crown is correct; logo is reflective of a horrible redial!

Dan S, khmt2 and ulackfocus like this.
  3. ulackfocus Jun 7, 2018

It's genuinely disgusting.

:rolleyes: ::facepalm2:: That's exactly what schlock sellers say to try to get the uninformed to pay a ton of money for a shitty watch from that time period. It's about as "military" as a camouflage tank top from Old Navy.

4. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 7, 2018

krillan50 and Larry S like this.
  5. ConElPueblo Jun 7, 2018

You're certain that the crown is wrong?!

LouS and BenBagbag like this.
  6. chipsotoole Jun 7, 2018

The crown is fine on this one, it's the crown on the one in the shop that looks ungainly and wrong.
    I've had some dealing with the junk shop guy, he's been pretty straight with me.I'm a bit of a regular there. I mentioned before that Nuremberg is home to the German horological society and as some of the members trawl though his stuff on a weekly basis (Mondays apparently- I've recently been allowed solo access to trawl though the back shop watch cupboard and all the boxes. I saw he's joining the society.. the membership forms on his arab coffee table just next to the crazed leather chairs we always sit down on.. It is them (the watch society buffs) , he maintains , that say it is genuine. It is also them he says, that say it is over priced too! I also agree it isn't military. But the one in the shop: movement is def kosher and apart from the logo, the dial and the hands look right. Agree this one has been redialled and yes the logo is not nice...but did JLC ever actually use this script?

7. ulackfocus Jun 7, 2018

So you're saying you buy junk on a regular basis? :p

No, JLC did not ever use that font.

8. chipsotoole Jun 7, 2018

9. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jun 7, 2018

It’s a real Jeager Le Goultre.

10. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jun 7, 2018

I have seen that exact logo on a lot of older JLC redials. I suspect that it comes from one of the big redialing companies in the USA.

Remember that prior to the 1970’s the Jaeger-LeCoultre name was not used in the USA, so no one would have had the correct dies here.

So they made something up.
    gatorcpa

11. Vitezi Jun 7, 2018

Here's another one, also described as "military"
    [​IMG]
    (thanks)

12. ulackfocus Jun 7, 2018

Maybe "Medieval" would be a better word given that font.

13. vkarat Jun 8, 2018

Sorry for off-top but if we discuss logos on ancient watches… Can anybody comment the logo engraved on this antique watch. Thanks.

IMG_1.jpg
  14. Lonestar insert Schwartz joke HERE Jun 8, 2018

That. is. brillant. I bow to your wit, Mister.