Forums Latest Members
  1. lukajur First floor resident. Sep 7, 2015

After recently acquiring a Speedmaster with Acrylic Crystal I hoped my desires for a fine Swiss watch would stop, the itch would be scratched.

However, I was very wrong. Seeing my Speedmaster all alone on my nightstand I feel like another watch would be quite appropriate.

Now I hope some of you have been in this situation, and I'm hoping will enlighten me on what to do. Should I go ahead and try the watches I'm eying and home I don't like them (hahaha doubt that) or should I not even step in an AD right now?

2. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Sep 7, 2015

The bug has bit.... there's no cure.
    Give up.... buy watches.

lukajur likes this.
  3. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Sep 7, 2015

Depends on your resources and money. It's a slippery slope and before you know it you'll have a heavy investment in. I can tell you that one more watch will not satisfy any craving, if anything it will feed into it and then there will be another and another and then you'll sell this one and buy that one. It's a Hobby so there is little profit on it other than the pleasure of the process. But if you're limited in resources I strongly recommend you open a little fund for you watches and don't step into the AD until you have safely saved for the watch you want.

4. lukajur First floor resident. Sep 7, 2015

Good reply. I wouldn't be even thinking about another watch if the funds weren't available or tied up in something vital. There's enough left for one more.
    The only issue is dropping such a large amount of money in such a short term psychologically. Not financially. I'm still very young and even with buying a second watch I'd still have substantial savings.

It's the fight between putting another ~5k into watches or investing and watching dividends roll in.

5. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Sep 7, 2015

well, on that I enjoy the watch over the Dividends, and if you choose and buy well it won't depreciate as much anyway, specially if you buy vintage. Just see what tickles you most and enjoy!!

lukajur likes this.
  6. lukajur First floor resident. Sep 7, 2015

I think i just had to hear that from someone else as well and not just myself. I'm looking at something more modern. Possibly a Rolex. Maybe a classic 36 date just or 36mm or 39mm explorer.

Nobel Prize likes this.
  7. lillatroll Sep 7, 2015

I think once you have got used to dropping a couple of grand on a watch and stopped worrying about scratching it, it is tempting to buy the second and third and fourth. I think the key is patience, when I first started buying vintage watches ai wanted to buy every bugger I saw so it is important to step back a bit and think about how it will fit into your lifestyle. I wouldn t buy a dress watch because I don t wear dresses ::facepalm2:: and I don t need three divers but could easily buy thirty and be happy. Before the madness kicks in try to think about how much wrist time it will get and does it fit into your life style. To be honest though, one watch is never enough.

lukajur likes this.
  8. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Sep 7, 2015

I have the 39 Explorer (wearing today as a matter of fact) great all around watch, modest but solid. Good buy IMO in either size. Date just is also a great line but I had to the the Explorer first. Just me.

9. lukajur First floor resident. Sep 7, 2015

Solid advice. That's why I'm looking to get into another brand and see how that wears.

10. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Sep 7, 2015

and selling children is against the law.

just saying.....

11. Hijak Sep 7, 2015

Buy the watch box with twelve slots instead of ten, you'll need the room!;)

1685 likes this.
  12. lukajur First floor resident. Sep 7, 2015

Not even married. No kids. So everyone is safe so far.

13. lukajur First floor resident. Sep 7, 2015

Mine only has six. So I'm good in that regard. Hahah

14. lukajur First floor resident. Sep 7, 2015

Thanks for the insight. I love the clean dial of the explorer but the date complication is just extremely useful.

15. Paedipod Sep 7, 2015

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha:confused:
    if only it were so simple

16. lukajur First floor resident. Sep 7, 2015

Sounds like advice for a dangerous gambler. Not a bunch of smart watch enthusiasts. Hahaha

17. Hijak Sep 7, 2015

You're gonna need a bigger box!
    image.jpg

Edited Sep 7, 2015
    Lew Archer likes this.
  18. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Sep 7, 2015

But yes, I was in your situation. First nice watch was a 3572.50 (still own it, but converted it to a panda). I could not take it off my wrist.

3.5 years later....and there are a few others :)

Good luck

upload_2015-9-7_8-59-52.png

upload_2015-9-7_9-1-22.png

1685 likes this.
  19. lukajur First floor resident. Sep 7, 2015

Beautiful collection. Especially loving the speedorite.

20. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Sep 7, 2015

Okay, well I also did have the speedyiorite, but I sold that one couple months back. Basically the madness never stops.