Forums Latest Members

I thought I owned this Omega watch....

1. MrBadExample Mar 7, 2015

Good morning folks!

Yesterday I had, what I consder, a very bizarre experience in an Omega boutique in Ho Chi Minh.
    After seeing for the first time (in the flesh) and trying on a Bullhead (I cannot decide if I love or hate that piece), I spent some time looking at straps and clasps.
    Despite them not having exactly what I wanted, there being a 3 month wait for delivery and the combination costing upwards of $400, I continued with my enquiry. For little more reason than to make a fully informed decision before completely dismissing the purchase. Anyway, my final step was to confirm that I was actually looking at the correct size, so I asked them for confirmation that 20mm is right for my Skyfall PO. The lady then informed me that she didn't think she could sell that strap for a limited edition piece.
    I was Dumbfounded! ::confused2::
    I asked if I could buy for my 42mm Orange PO instead? (which I don't have). She told me yes, but now she knows I have a limited edition, she would need to see my orange PO before she would make the sale. I attempted to get some reasoning behind all of this, and her colleague made a call (in Vietnamese to an unknown authority) and confirmed that they cannot sell me the strap for my Skyfall watch...

I am aware that Omega do not freely issue certain parts for limited edition pieces (that makes sense). However, do they really restrict customers from modifying their Limited Edition pieces?

Nobel Prize likes this.
  2. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Mar 7, 2015

I remember when Rolex changed the bracelet clasp on two tone Submariners to ss/gold to match the rest of the band. Every Sub owner wanted to "upgrade" their watch to appear new and Rolex laughed at you if you asked to purchase just the clasp. A person had to buy an the entire bracelet for 3000 bucks or nothing. no exceptions.

Edited Mar 7, 2015
  3. davidswiss Mar 7, 2015

That's pretty bad if true and very odd. Why would a company turn away profit ?

4. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Mar 7, 2015

I guess when you're gouging a bit on your prices and still selling all you make you can turn away any business you deem unworthy.

I mean, really now, does anyone out there really think it cost two or three times as much to make a Rolex than it does to make a Seiko GS?

I spent most of my working life in quality & engineering in the automotive industry, supplying almost all of the major manufacturers with a variety of components and have always been amused at the luxury cars versus the middle of the road stuff. Pay a bit more attention to fit and finish (not hard or all that costly), add some sound deadening (cheap), stuff in the higher output engine (from the family sedan, tuned) and up your profit margin by a huge amount. You can often option that family sedan to the same level of performance, ride quality and comfort and still not come close to the cost of the luxery nameplate which is often built on the same platform.

People would be amazed at the number of drivelines (engine and transmission units complete and ready to run) coming from lesser nameplates or over from China to be installed in their precious North American or European sedans.

There's been some awfully expensive German sports cars built in Finland on the old Lada production lines.... its all about perception. Ooooooo...its a Rolex not just a Seiko.

Edited Mar 7, 2015
  5. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Mar 7, 2015

They definitely don't mind modifications to LE watches in NYC Omega. It is a weird sorry indeed.

6. Superdoc Mar 7, 2015

I'd love for you to meet a friend of mine , his name is Thorsten Veblen...

proximal, citizenrich and Nobel Prize like this.
  7. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Mar 7, 2015

Wow, That's a reference and a half there SD! :eek: