Forums Latest Members
  1. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jan 19, 2014

From a prior post (http://omegaforums.net/threads/a-long-time-coming.7657/), you may recall that I had been squirreling (there's that rodent again) away a Gay Freres bracelet for a Space Compax for many years before I got the watch to go with it.

Well, a scant ten days ago, on my final pass through eBay before turning in, a BIN posting popped up for another bracelet. What would I need with another? Except that the price was low and the bracelet is not an easy find, and at the end of the day, it's part of the collecting instinct to acquire little bits and pieces, so I Bought It Now.

UG bracelet.JPG

A mere four days later, a nice lady from Ohio with an eye for the unusual and the good instinct not to let herself get taken by a local watch shop posts a find from a 0.99 cent bag of junk watches in a thrift store: http://omegaforums.net/threads/universal-genéve-space-compax.9708/ - nothing less than a 1st execution Space Compax.

Such a lady is entitled to a generous profit, and I put myself in charge of rendering same to her. Now, said lady lives far from our world of watch trading, but acquits herself like the most honorable and courteous of watch collectors, so the deal proves simple, straightforward and prompt. She holds up her end to a T, despite her obviously rising realization she is dealing with a community of total loons.

SUCH is the juju of an empty bracelet.

The watch and the bracelet were recently married.

[​IMG]

what a sacred beast this watch is

[​IMG]

A beautiful mass of metal on the wrist

[​IMG]

The dial is perfect, and the blued hands add a great deal

[​IMG]

Valjoux 72/UG cal 85 inside

[​IMG]

only one watchmaker sig on the inside of the caseback - it'll get a prompt service

[​IMG]

Curiously, a second execution caseback number, but I am not inclinded to quibble. It could hardly be a replacement. It's only 303 numbers away from my other Space Compax

[​IMG]

SO, the obvious question - which do you prefer, 1st or 2nd execution?

[​IMG]

2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 19, 2014

Nice pair of UG Chronos, Lou! Not too many collectors have one of these, let alone two.

Here's a question for you...

I noticed that UG seems to have more instances of hand engraved reference and serial numbers on their casebacks than any other major brand.

From my Polerouter Date:

[​IMG]

If you look closely at both casebacks you can see where the engraver started and ended each figure using a stencil.

Any idea why?
    gatorcpa

3. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jan 19, 2014

it is the way of UG after about 1960. Maddening, really, as only a little polishing will obliterate the numbers altogether.

4. ulackfocus Jan 19, 2014

I'll take 1st generation for $400 Alex. Ooooo, Daily Double!

Nice snag. I can't believe I kept my mouth shut about it.

5. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 19, 2014

That's right when my watch was made, 1960. I had a friend use his super-macro lens to take that picture. If you don't know where to look on my watch, you'll never find these numbers. As you can see, the watch has been well used over the years.

Both my bumper Polerouter and Jet have the numbers stamped into the caseback. Serials on both are less than 2M.

Thanks Lou,
    gatorcpa

6. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 19, 2014

HeuerLoon and Old and Vintage like this.
  7. Interstatetime Jan 19, 2014

Great story Lou and the watch is a beauty. This is why we are collectors. Thanks for the write-up.

JohnCote

Old and Vintage likes this.
  8. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 19, 2014

OK, so it took a while, but I think I'm catchin' on here hmm.gif

9. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Jan 19, 2014

Know shouting dibs isn't going to help so I will just admire from far. Just one question, Was the rubber part on the bottom pusher a replacement? Notice that it was not there in Candycane2121's post. That held me back contacting him/her to buy it off him/her.

10. ulackfocus Jan 19, 2014

I did contact her. Lotsa stuff went on this week in ΩF's back room. Suffice it to say, several members ended up with the watches that they should have.

11. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 19, 2014

Maybe I'll try to buy a 7077 and see if a 2915 pops out of the bushes to claim it

cristos71 likes this.
  12. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jan 19, 2014

thank you all

Oh, that's lovely. I'm thinking about matching Subs for the Space Compaxes.

Yes, exactly. I think that's how it works.

13. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jan 19, 2014

Gavin, both rubber pushers are replacements. The problem is not the rubber part, which you can get a reasonable facsimile of off of eBay (albeit for an extortionate sum) but rather the metal washer underneath. It is always missing, but Candy's watch had one of these. I McGyvered the other one out of a particularly thick foil that I find in packaging of a product we use at work, something like the stuff laser printer cartridges comes in. If I knew where to look for such things, i could probably find washers of an appropriate size, but I haven't a clue.

14. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 19, 2014

Various Omega pushers have various sized washers, one possible source.

15. pitpro Likes the game. Jan 19, 2014

Very cool story and watch.(thrift store? holy chronograph)
    I like the 1st iteration.
    Now that's what I call being in the zone :)

16. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Jan 19, 2014

Good to know that I still have a way out if I can't fight my personal will and end up with one with those without rubbers. Thanks.

17. cristos71 Jan 20, 2014

That's a beauty, I prefer the first to the second generation, something about the larger lumed indexes just makes it easier on the eye.

$0.99 for a bag of jewellery with watches, what a find, this surely has to go down as one of best ever!

18. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 21, 2014

Love the blued hands on the first generation, that's a really subtle but nice touch.

19. MattS Jan 23, 2014

Hi Lou,

Both are stunning are rare watches, love both, may have a slight preference for the panda version with this stylish 12!

Matt

20. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jan 27, 2014

I'm going to be in that bush before the 2915 has a chance to pop out.