Forums Latest Members
  1. nubblebast Dec 10, 2015

Hi,
    im very new to luxury watches and this forum and i think i just made a terrible mistake (please dont get mad with me).
    I always wanted to have an old, clean, puristic omega watch.
    Now i spend 300$ on ebay for a watch that might be fake although the seller sold quite a few omega watches without any negative reviews.

What makes me wondering:
    1. It says it is gold filled instead of pure gold.
    2. The bottom has a different color?
    3. The Omega Symbol is really close to the letters. There is no space between the symbol and the text

What do you guys think?

$_57 (1).JPG $_57 (4).JPG $_57 (5).JPG $_57 (6).JPG $_57.JPG

2. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Dec 10, 2015

Don't want to sound harsh, but I think you need to do more research and learn more about these watches before attempting to buy one.
    FWIW - the watch is not a fake and the reasons you listed (1,2) have nothing to do with authenticity.
    As far as point 3 - this is likely the result of a poor redial .

PatrickJ and nubblebast like this.
  3. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Dec 10, 2015

Never fear. True experts will be along shortly.

Over the years, Omega has produced a number of watches with gold-filled cases and having stainless steel backs. For your watch to be marked "gold-filled" is not an indication that it's a fake.

The watch's dial has been refinished as indicated by the alignment issue with the marking and the symbol as you have observed. The font used for "Omega" appears incorrect for an Omega watch of this age but let's see what others say.

PatrickJ and nubblebast like this.
  4. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Dec 10, 2015

Gold capped has been worn through on the bottom lugs.
    Redialled and wrong crown.
    $300 is not that bad a noob tax, some have payed a lot more :whistling:

Buckeyes#1, George.A, Severin and 7 others like this.
  5. marturx Dec 10, 2015

Found a picture of the first vintage watch I bought. 10 years ago.

Not so much better than OP´s first attempt. Mine renovated quite nicely thanks to my genius of a watchmaker. I still have it.

No1.jpg

@nubblebast, hang in there, it will only get better!

6. tpatta Happily spending my daughter’s inheritance Dec 10, 2015

As others have said, the font is wrong and the Omega symbol is too low. A redial for sure. But also it is an authentic Omega.
    Always do your homework before you hand over your money. I failed to heed that simple rule and learned the hard way (several times).
    A redial does not mean it's a fake or a crappy watch. Just means it has had the dial worked on.
    You still have an Omega.

nubblebast likes this.
  7. nubblebast Dec 10, 2015

I really appreciate your time and knowledge! Thank you so much!
    You don't sound harsh and you are totally right. I need to do more research on this. Especially as im planning to get a black one and a silverish one in the future. But i really liked this one and couldn't wait somehow.. .. still think it looks nice though.
    I was just getting baffled when i read the faq on the official website: "All OMEGA's gold watches [...] are made of 18k solid gold" (not gold plated).
    So to sum it up, it is a real one that has been modified quite badly.
    Well with a price of 300$ instead of thousands and as i still like it, i think im happy with it. Thank you so much!
    (Btw. the style of this forum really fits . Its nice, clean and pleasant to look at.)
    edit: How do you know the crown is wrong?

Dougall, noelekal and PatrickJ like this.
  8. tpatta Happily spending my daughter’s inheritance Dec 10, 2015

No reason for anyone to be harsh. We all live and learn. It is a nice looking watch. Just be more careful in the future and your collection is sure to grow with the addition of some nice pieces. Don't forget to check out the sellers on this board. There are some beautiful examples available at very fair prices. Collect on Nubblebast.

Garv likes this.
  9. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Dec 10, 2015

Hey if you concentrate on a few nice examples of watches with the same movement you have a movement for spare parts and your not in the hole as much. ;)

marturx and tpatta like this.
  10. tpatta Happily spending my daughter’s inheritance Dec 10, 2015

Or try to locate an original dial.

11. marturx Dec 10, 2015

Or he has a perfect donor for a Watchco SM300! @nubblebast, google that, and see what your first attempt can become ::book::

12. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Dec 10, 2015

Think all here will help if you choose the above road.

13. PatrickJ Dec 10, 2015

No worries. Use it as a beater or sell as a marked redial. Now choose a model, research at least 9 months believe me you think you will learn it all in three months but you wont. Then when your ready purchase and post pictures and you will have multiple likes and kind words directed your way. Sorry you got a harsh lesson but when you get there you will love it,

arkstfan likes this.
  14. JohnSteed Dec 10, 2015

Great post

15. M.D. Dec 10, 2015

Now that sounds like a good idea. :thumbsup:

16. nubblebast Dec 15, 2015

Hey, the watch has arrived :).
    Thank you for all your good advice!
    Though I think I'd keep the watch as it is for now. After all it's my first omega.
    I like it but..it is kind of hard to see on the pictures, the gold has really been worn off.
    You can see the difference between the "dial case" and the "buckle" (is that the english term?).

Is it possible to "re"-gold plate the watch and would you recommend it or is it considered a sin to vintage watches?

20151215_132524.jpg
    20151215_132532.jpg
    20151215_132547.jpg

17. novina Dec 15, 2015

Gold on the case looks spot on. The buckle is not factory Omega and is a generic. No wonder it does not match the Omega.

18. arkstfan Dec 15, 2015

You paid based on what you thought it was rather than is, but whether you overpaid you still have a nice mechanical watch that may not get collectors fired up but is still a small mechanical marvel you should enjoy wearing. And if you get the urge for an impulse buy..... check the time on your wrist. :)

19. novina Dec 15, 2015

At $300 you did not overpay. Gold is not worn. It is right in color and I can see no wear in the plating. There seems to be no spots where the base metal is showing. These watches in running condition do sell at this price point and sometimes beyond. I recently purchased a gold capped Omega 2828 for the same price. You did well. If you are only going by the scrap buckle, see my above post. Enjoy it. I would.