Forums Latest Members

I think I bought the wrong watch :-(

1. marsy101 Nov 22, 2014

Hi Guys,

Back in August this year, after much deliberation and many visits to the AD I pulled the trigger on an AT 8500 'Skyfall' 38.5mm. I was CONVINCED it was the watch for me!

Since then, I haven't fully 'bonded' with it (excuse the pun!). I guess that has probably happened to everyone at some point along the way. Whilst I do think the AT 8500 with the 'skyfall' dial is stunning and possibly one of the most beautifully crafted watches on the market at its price, it feels too dressy for me, even on a brown leather strap.

Last weekend I had a stag do abroad, so I wore my Seiko SKX009 beater which confirmed my feelings that I would be happier with something more utilitarian, more rugged but with a slightly dressy edge (which the 009 is obviously not). I love this watch and it cost a minute fraction of the AT!

I used to love the speedy but my taste has moved toward simpler dials and I now have an important decision to make.... I think we've all been there.... PO or Sub (no-date).

As a newb, the valuable lesson I've learnt is to take more time figuring out my own tastes and buying something which really sings to me irrespective of popular opinion, brand and to some extent, price. Every time I look at a Sub I dislike my AT just that bit more!

Needless to say, the AT will hopefully be on its merry way to someone who will actually love it the way I hoped to do so.

Has anyone else bought something they thought they loved but over time, the relationship fizzled out?!

Cheers guys

Marsy

boat2dan likes this.
  2. Buck2466 Nov 22, 2014

Short answer yes, and I would like to be the first to welcome Marsy as our newest member into the Watch Flipping Club. You've only just begun! Welcome!

3. marsy101 Nov 22, 2014

Thanks Buck! I think the next watch I buy will be done right. I'm well aware that ol'suby will need some more mates though ;-)

4. stonechild Nov 22, 2014

Yes, many many times. As a matter of fact, I have sold, then regretted, then bought back and then resold many times. Ive had the Fortis marine master 4 times.lol. I think the problem for me is I have a pretty deep rotation, so I had awesome watches, that got no love. Now I keep all my watches at my office, with only 2-3 at home. This way I appreciate my watches more.

To answer your q, yes- I feel your pain. Once you sell your watch and replace it, it wont hurt anymore. Haha.

Cheers, jay

5. marsy101 Nov 22, 2014

Oh and those mates already have names: seamaster 200 and a 120 (for a vintage diver without the restrictive strap options of the 200.

6. stonechild Nov 22, 2014

BTW, the 8500 is a great watch.

image.jpg image.jpg
    JohnSteed and TNTwatch like this.
  7. marsy101 Nov 22, 2014

great pic. Not that the black face isn't great, but that's the first time I've seen it and just thought.... wow!

8. ulackfocus Nov 22, 2014

I love my Skyfall AT. However, if you realize it isn't for you then move it along to someone who will enjoy it more. Welcome to flipping!

Flipper.jpg

9. marsy101 Nov 22, 2014

This is my sentiment exactly. It's stunning and I tried to love it, but it just never happened.

I'm sure I will justify flipping's rolling costs in the same way you pay for cable, the gym and any magazine subscriptions.... it's simply the cost of a hobby right!!

Nobel Prize likes this.
  10. Baco Noir Nov 22, 2014

Yes, I think we all have. I bought a Nomos that I was drooling over for months that was a prototype of a new watch they were planning on putting into production after feedback from their beta testers. I was certain I'd love it IRL. Turns out the Bauhaus design was too sterile for my tastes. Luckily it was a limited edition of 50 and I found a buyer who appreciated its uniqueness enough that I didn't lose any money on the sale.

I've also flipped a Rolex SD after about 4 years. I bought it to recognize an achievement I earned while with an employer and when the employer got in trouble with the IRS and laid me off without warning after 10 years of moving around the country for them, it left a bitter taste in my mouth. It was a great watch, but I had to part with it to move on from the bad juju.

I've flipped a few others too to obtain something that I wanted more - I think we all do that. It's one of the reasons I think we all look for a good price when we buy so we don't lose much or maybe even make a little as we flip watches.

11. marsy101 Nov 22, 2014

Very interesting. I have a fairly deep, emotional connection with a few of my watches, as I'm sure many of us do. They usually mean something. I've never considered just how dynamic a 'relationship' (not sure if that should actually be in inverted commas!) with a watch can be.

Absolutely. Nothing wrong with looking for the watch you want at a good price. Looking for a watch to fit the price on the other hand... not so productive ;-)

12. swils8610 Nov 22, 2014

Oh yeah!! Bought many and never really bonded with them! Flip and move on. Welcome to the world of flipping!

13. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Nov 22, 2014

I have a Seamaster Pro 300M that I love, so I had to have the chronograph version. It was too busy and clunky for me and flipped it after a month. Did the same with a Breitling. Part of the game.

14. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Nov 22, 2014

I was in Palm Springs for the vintage car auction yesterday and while I was there to look at some cool cars, there was a couple of other vendors one that was selling several used Rolex watches. I am not here to bash Rolex, as I always wanted a Submariner as long as I can remember, but none of those watches caught my eye as I was trying them on. I do think had I purchased a Sub I would be in your same position.

There have been several watches that I thought I would love and since sold. There have even been a couple I sold that I did not know I would love until they were gone (pair if SM300s).

I have concluded that if I buy used, the flipping part is less of an issue on my pocket book. I have not documented my purchase prices and sold prices to say if I am ahead or behind, but my gut tells me if it were not for ebay and paypal fees it would be a wash.

15. usfpaul82 Nov 22, 2014

have you thought of locating a Railmaster?

16. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Nov 22, 2014

Let's see:
    Modern Connie
    James Bond Seamaster
    vintage dress Seamasters
    Rolex DJ
    AP RO two tone
    Planet Ocean
    Modern Railmaster

Some I'll just keep to see whether there would be spark that renew my love to these watches. Some just need to go in flipping market.....

17. ulackfocus Nov 22, 2014

The Golden Rule of Flipping. :thumbsup: The only watches I buy new are ones I already know fit well and are probably keepers - because I've owned them before from second hand purchases.

18. marsy101 Nov 23, 2014

G
    Good advice, thanks!

19. marsy101 Nov 23, 2014

I wonder if anyone has done this... Would probably make an interesting read.

Tracking someone's watch buying/selling decisions over decades could probably shed light on a lot of aspects of their lives. (Financial troubles and prosperity, birth of a child, gift to a son, buying back watches they wished they'd never sold, making a huge profit, making a catastrophic loss etc)

20. marsy101 Nov 23, 2014

I admittedly should have tried a railmaster on in the first place. It definitely fits better into the utilitarian style I like. I Will keep an open mind... However, the Sub is the one that quickens the pulse!

Cheers