Forums Latest Members

I Think I bought a Fake Seamaster on Ebay

1. B Chas Mar 10, 2019

Been looking for a nice used Seamaster Aqua Terra, I found a nicely priced chronograph, called the highly rated seller, after a brief chat I bought the watch. After the purchase I searched for the same model for more information, maybe a digital owners manual. Can't find another example of this model, "Pre Owned Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra Chronograph 2812.50.37 Stainless Mens Watch" My searches did yield a couple fake and replica sights.

I found the model #, it's a black faced black leather band, I bought a blue faced with a bracelet. Here's a couple of photos, still can't find a Aqua Terra with 3 sub dials and the date at the bottom. The short bottom sub dial hand is unusual too.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated, thanks. 1,s-l1600.jpg 2, s-l1600 (4).jpg s-l1600 (7).jpg s-l1600 (9).jpg

2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 10, 2019

pgoat, B Chas and 89-0 like this.
  3. Sublime_1 Mar 10, 2019

4. VintageWatchIta Mar 10, 2019

It is original! Or it is the best fake Seamaster ever seen :)

B Chas likes this.
  5. OMEGuy Mar 10, 2019

I'm not sure... The underside of the lugs looks strange.

Is there any serial #?

Edit: And the caseback looks uncommonly brushed as well. Either it's a heavy refinish or something is wrong.

Edited Mar 10, 2019
    B Chas likes this.
  6. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 10, 2019

I think these pre date lug serial numbers.

The “short “ sub dial is a shadow.

2512 is on bracelet 2812 is on strap

Edited Mar 10, 2019
    B Chas likes this.
  7. OMEGuy Mar 10, 2019

Ok, found the serial # staints... So massively refinished / rebrushed, obviously:

upload_2019-3-10_19-2-47.jpeg

B Chas likes this.
  8. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 10, 2019

so...
    2 Seamaster
    5 Steel case on steel bracelet (8 is on strap but could have been swapped at purchase.)
    12 product variation
    5 Black dial
    0 mixed indices

I do not see a massively refinished watch... I see a worn watch that may have been touched up a bit, and I see the serial number now.

B Chas and connieseamaster like this.
  9. OMEGuy Mar 10, 2019

While every 50 years old vintage Speedy that has ever seen a polishing cloth is disqualified as 'polished' here, I don't know if I'd call this 'touched up a bit'. Yes, 'massively' might be a relative term. But this is a younger watch and it's obvious someone brushed and polished it on the front and the back.

Well, it's nice to see the watch is genuine and the OP didn't pay for a fake. :)

B Chas and KingCrouchy like this.
  10. B Chas Mar 10, 2019

You guys are great, fast good information from experienced sources, thanks. I paid $2,800 for what the seller said is showroom ready. This is the first used example I've found, did I over pay? What does the brushing and polishing indicate, cosmetic or perhaps structural?

11. OMEGuy Mar 10, 2019

The watch is ok and two advanced members here have said this. There are no 'structural' problems at all, but 'showroom ready' is different. If you like this watch, enjoy it. :)

I don't think you overpaid. But if I were you and had the chance to return it, I'd do and buy a better preserved example for a comparable or maybe little bit higher price. But that's just my humble opinion.

B Chas likes this.
  12. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 10, 2019

Idk I like it. I’ve not seen one before and at 42mm it’s a nice alternative to a Speedy Pro. It’s the cost of a used speedy date and better looking to me.

pgoat, B Chas and frederico like this.
  13. B Chas Mar 10, 2019

Since the seller and I are both in the US and the seller did offer a return, I'll bring it it and see how much my not so young and inexperienced eyes see. Not many I can find out there in this price range. Great insight here, thanks.

OMEGuy and Foo2rama like this.
  14. B Chas Mar 18, 2019

I found another Aqua Terra , in great shape, with hang tag and warrantee card. Seller has 100% positive rating and been on Ebay since 2003. Serial # on watch matches the warentee card & hang tag, it looks really clean. Some of the little bar shaped outer hour markers are misaligned, don't think it's a fake and I won't see them without magnification. Here's some pics, what do you guys think think?

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg

15. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 18, 2019

Serial number: 78092946
    Article ref: 25125000
    Version of movement: 3301

I would ask when it was last serviced, and if the movement has had all the required upgrades. The dial markers being off is a little odd to say the least, so not sure what to make of that...

Als 27 and B Chas like this.
  16. WatchVaultNYC Mar 18, 2019

OPs watch - The bracelet folding clasp looks wrong for an AT

BradleyJ. likes this.
  17. B Chas Mar 18, 2019

Good catch, on all the others I looked up, the open part of the omega logo is to the right when the stem & push buttons are facing up. this one is to the left. The seller has a very good ebay reputation and the ad inspires lots of confidence;

Near to mint condition no scratches except very light and hardly visible on the back case. The watch comes with tag and filled out warranty card. It was purchased in Japan on November 3, 2007. Automatic movement keeps time within standards, and all the functions are in perfect working order. Fits men's wrist up to 7.25 inches. Passed water pressure test and we will include the printout of the test results. The serial number is present and visible on the pics. Based on the serial number the watch was produced in 2006. Authenticity is 100% guaranteed.

Authenticity and Our Guarantee
    · All watches offered by XXXXXXX Inc are guaranteed to be 100% Authentic and Original. We are officially registered as a corporation in the State of New York. We are members of the IWJG watch association, and we have an extensive list of references. Once you purchase a watch from us, you are welcome to authenticate the watch with the Authorized watchmaker or Authorized Dealer of the watch brand. Having doubts about buying an expensive watch on eBay? You are 100% covered by the eBay Buyer’s Protection Program. In the unlikely event that the watch you purchase is not authentic or significantly not as described you can easily open a case on eBay and PayPal will refund your money (But please always contact the seller first.)

· All watches are carefully inspected prior to shipping. If you are buying a used watch, it is likely we will professionally refinish it to bring it back to ‘as good as new’ state.

· All pictures displayed are the actual pictures of watches in stock. We do not use stock photos. If the watch is brand new, and we have multiply quantities in stock, then we only display the photographs of one of the watches.

Now I don't know what to think. Is the direction of the logo on the clasp a significant issue? Buying a fake is a concern for those of us with little experience. The ad copy together with the great ebay score and long history, makes one feel secure. I was so confident I have a winner here. Any opinions are greatly appreciated.

dsc0327_600.jpg s-l1600.jpg

18. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Mar 18, 2019

Better looking than this? Pshaw!
    Speedmaster Date.jpg

Foo2rama likes this.
  19. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 18, 2019

People sometimes put bracelets on the wrong way around...not necessarily anything nefarious.

I have no idea what the comment made that the clasp "doesn't look right for an AT" is referring to, but the bracelet for this watch should be a 020ST1578950, and that bracelet looks right from what I can see. I would ask the vendor what the bracelet number is.

B Chas likes this.
  20. BradleyJ. Mar 18, 2019

Not saying this statement is right or wrong but that's what I was thinking. From all the ATs I've seen with the butterfly style clasp, the omega logo part of the clasp is full width of the bracelet. The small square omega logo like this bracelet usually has a slider on one side of the clasp and the other side folds.... not sure if that makes any sense and again, I'm not saying it's fake cause of that, I've just not seen one to confirm omega makes it that way.

Omega_Seamaster_AquaTerra_buckle_560.jpg images.jpeg.jpg