Forums Latest Members
  1. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Feb 4, 2014

And then it's gone gone next time I look.::rant:The latest, but not the only, example...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3010885667543Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Guess I will have to pull the trigger faster (which is not my nature) or wait for some luck. This one was nice, but I didn't think it'd go so fast at that price (And I assume at a premium to list).

Some have gone so fast I only see them after they're sold.

Just how big is demand? Makes me think the higher pricing may be here to stay...not a bad thing in the long run. ::money::

2. ulackfocus Feb 4, 2014

::facepalm2:: Hesitation loses watches. What you should do is set parameters for the Top X (5, 10, whatever) must-have exact reference(s) you want, what condition you're looking for, and what replacement parts you can live with. Then figure out a realistic budget and set aside the cash. When a watch comes along that meets or exceeds your standards JUMP ON IT.

citizenrich likes this.
  3. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Feb 4, 2014

More and more transaction before bidding end for nice watches in eBay. Well, I've done my share once........

4. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Feb 4, 2014

Ebay rewards knowledge, diligence and deft action

Darlinboy likes this.
  5. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Feb 4, 2014

And to complete the quote of M4tt in full (as quoted by LouS on Jan 15, 2014 in this forum):

"I love eBay; it rewards knowledge, diligence, and deft action but punishes ignorance, foolishness, and greed." - M4tt, 06/01/12

Darlinboy likes this.
  6. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Feb 4, 2014

Remember that sellers have criteria that they look for also. When a buyer comes along who has good feedback, doesn't need to play customs roulette, and offers good (but not crazy) money, why shouldn't they take the offer?

In short, if you snooze, you lose.
    gatorcpa

7. Lex4TDI4Life Feb 4, 2014

Meh. You'll find a better one. No movement shot, replacement hands, poor description and "a family heirloom".

Dablitzer likes this.
  8. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Feb 5, 2014

Forgot to mention, "and you'll be just one of the many who want it."

Here's a thought I'll share (even if we're in the same shameful pool of Speedy lust):

Search the HECK out of all the Speedy posts here. And there (other "lesser" sites ;) ). Make notes. Memorize the Speedy book when it materializes. Be prepared to answer your own questions about: hands/dials/bezels/pushers/crowns/lugs/case backs/serial numbers, etc.

When you see an example that checks all your boxes, jump. Jump high. Be politely aggressive and get the watch before I or someone else gets it.

The 321 Speedy is red hot at this moment, and not likely to cool off (unsupported opinion). The transitional 861 is heating up fast. Soon I think the 145.022 will start developing nuances (how about step-dial or pre-Delrin brake as sub-categories?)

Sometimes waiting for the great deal pays off. I don't think it will here, now. Look for the satisfactory example (however "right" or "original" or "mint" that example has to be for YOU). Do the extensive research now to know what's right or wrong about a watch without stalling for answers here. And set your expenditure limit, but be realistic about what it will take. Otherwise, as my retired colleague was fond of saying, "you'll have hope in one hand and shit in the other."

rhetoric and shaun hk like this.
  9. Dablitzer Feb 5, 2014

That's my favourite one...."family heirloom" why on earth would you sell it then!!?? I have to admit, despite me loving speedies I think the hype is going a little OTT at the moment, there I've said it. You can chastise me later :p

Edit: just to confirm, I'm not out the game. I have a 105.002 in my sights ::jumpy::

10. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Feb 5, 2014

I remember a time when not many talked speedies on here. That was less than 2 years ago and the flavour of the day was Connies and then deluxe connies. Taste and collecting patterns changes all the time.

11. Dablitzer Feb 5, 2014

Me too, and I agree that at that time people were saying they were sick of connie talk as well. I don't think it takes many people intent on finding something uncommon to drive desire and prices up!

edit: I think a huge factor in the speedies, for me anyway, is the fact that I don't worry about wearing it, and don't think about it too much once its on my wrist, whereas with a deluxe, I wouldn't be able to live with a large ding! :eek:

Time Exposure and Privateday7 like this.
  12. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Feb 5, 2014

That's very true. Speedy is a very wearable vintage watch. The fact that almost none is in NOS or very mint, as well as less penalty for small scratch and ding also really help.

Time Exposure likes this.
  13. Georgieboy58 Feb 5, 2014

According to information I got, there seems to be a parallel universe out there with people that wear quartz watches or no watches at all. ;-)

Deldog and Dablitzer like this.
  14. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Feb 5, 2014

You're right about that... another one will come along, and may already have (fingers crossed).

Continue my education on the hands please, if you would be so kind...

I realize the chrono hand on this one is straight, but from all I've read, the angled chrono was not a certainty in late production 321's. Of course without the movement number we don't know when this particular example was produced.

Speaking broadly however, for later 321 examples, couldn't a watch have left the factory when the straight chrono was already in use. It is well accepted that transitional 821's (one of which I own) can have the applied logo, so it seems more than reasonable to me that other similarly interchangeable parts could swap the other way too, during the period of overlapping inventories.

15. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Feb 5, 2014

Regarding the highlighted comment below:

The fascinating thing is that this is a pattern that repeats itself. Over the years we have seen this happen over and over again with various models such as Ploprofs, Speedmaster Grails and other models. Demand is driven high by a limited number of individuals, based on the perception of limited supply (sometimes this perception might even be correct :)) and prices go up. It takes time, but prices invariably calm down, the rate being dependent on supply obviously. I personally know of individuals who paid 16,000$ for a Speedmaster grail and 10,000$ for a ploprof. This was probably 5-6 years ago. They are still waiting for values to catch up to what they paid. You might say they simply bought too early.... maybe 20 years too early...:coffee:

SpikiSpikester likes this.
  16. John R Smith Feb 5, 2014

The most daft thing to buy right now is a 321 Speedmaster, just because there currently is a feeding frenzy. A bit like the classic car frenzy of the early '90s, when folks paid insane amounts for very ordinary E-Type Jags. And then lived to regret it, as their "investment" depreciated in short order.

Dablitzer and ulackfocus like this.
  17. ulackfocus Feb 5, 2014

A 321 Speedmaster is the 2nd most crazy purchase now. A $50,000 stainless steel Sub from the 50's is the 1st.

18. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 5, 2014

All I have to say is, I am glad we live in an age when I have an iPhone so that I can reset my watch at any moment. :D

19. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Feb 5, 2014

Maybe but probably not. People thought I was crazy too when I bought Google at $100-120 per share in 2004 - many told me it was a one trick company that at that time was overpriced. Glad I went ahead anyway. While there are of course "cant miss stocks" that eventually tanked a few bucked the trend. And the 321 speedmaster has as impeccable a history as any vintage watch in existence and supply of examples that are in original and in very good to excellent condition is low so I expect this will be one of those models that will be a good investment if you have a medium to long term outlook - more like an Aston Martin DB5 than an E-type (unless you're thinking of maybe a mint series 1 E-type roadster).

20. Dablitzer Feb 5, 2014

Interesting considering this is a collectors take and not an investment viewpoint.