Forums Latest Members

I purchased an Omega Seamaster and it has been refinished. Should I still love it?

1. Leftinthelurch May 3, 2015

Hey guys, I purchased an omega seamaster and it clearly doesn't have the original hands, possibly replaced crown and has had the dial replaced. The 'r' on the seamaster goes below the rest of the word too as it has been refinished. The movement is original as is the case. It's my first vintage watch as well. Should I rue this purchase or just enjoy it for what it is?

Sorry for the blurry photos.

And here is another one I saw on eBay with some original parts.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
  2. alam May 4, 2015

some folks around here will say you paid the n00b tax, I'd say wear and enjoy the watch if you like it, learn from others around here and get a better and more decent example later... :)

3. lillatroll May 4, 2015

I think depends on what you paid for it and how much you like it. If you paid a lot more than it is worth then try to send it back. If you are happy with it then keep it.

JimInOz likes this.
  4. JimInOz Melbourne Australia May 4, 2015

Agree

Are you a fastidious collector of vintage Omegas?

or are you a person who just likes your new watch?

You've picked up on a few points that make this a daily beater as opposed to a collector grade item, so if the price was right, just wear it and enjoy it.

5. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! May 4, 2015

The only thing that really disturbs me about your watch is that the dial is luminous but the hands appear to be not. Yes, it's a dial refinish, but it's not horrible as some are, and if you wanted it to wear every day, then I wouldn't be too upset. As for the case refinishing, it appears to be a good job, so again, as a daily wear watch, that wouldn't bother me at all.

After all, if you send your modern Seamaster to Omega or a shop authorized to do warranty work, the case and bracelet are always refinished.

Tom

6. rogart ray it again, Ram. May 4, 2015

I would keep it as is and learn something about it .Try to find out what is wrong with it .Maybe try to find the parts like the dial . In that way you learn what to look for at the next watch . Calling that learn by doing wrong ::book::

7. Mothra May 4, 2015

if you can return it, do so. If you cant, enjoy it till you find something better.

8. Nobel Prize Spell Master! May 4, 2015

If you loved it before why not live it now? It's not like it cheated on you with a rolex.

lillatroll and CdnWatchDoc like this.
  9. CdnWatchDoc May 4, 2015

Gotta hate when your favorite Omega goes out with a Date....

::rimshot::

10. Nobel Prize Spell Master! May 4, 2015

to an Oyster bar....::rimshot::

11. ulackfocus May 4, 2015

Here's the low down on your watch: the odds favor that you will grow to dislike it. I've seen TOO MANY newcomers with redials that say they don't care about it being refinished, only to get hooked on this hobsession and shun their early purchase as a poor decision.

Frankly, it is a poor decision whether you think so or not right now. Not being mean - just stating my observations after many years on forums and collecting watches.

.....Just....
    The correct placement of "just" merges those two posts perfectly. :p

CdnWatchDoc and RawArcher like this.
  12. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! May 4, 2015

After enough collectors tell him he should hate it...

Tom

13. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter May 4, 2015

Thanks Dennis. Your pointing out of where to put the Just finally made it funny. Otherwise, I think most of us here wouldn't have got the joke::bleh::