Forums Latest Members
  1. TrickyDick00 Sep 14, 2018

I found it at a thrift shop, didn't pay much for it ($5) and thought it would be interesting to try to fix up. The movement works, but there is some blemishes on the dial, the hour hand is bent, the minute hand is missing, and the crystal is gone. I've been told that the band isn't original...which is fine because it's atrocious.

I am not looking to make the watch perfect, I've gotten some feedback elsewhere and the consensus is that it would cost too much to repair the watch. I don't hate the weathered look of the dial and I (hope) I can find a replacement crystal.

Let me know what you guys think.

IMG_1916.jpg IMG_1917.jpg IMG_1918.jpg IMG_1920.jpg
    Etp095 likes this.
  2. gdupree Sep 14, 2018

For $5, how wrong could you have gone? Does the watch run?

Edit: Sorry, didn't read closely enough. If it runs, that's better. But I'd guess that a proper service, along with a new handset, crystal, and crown might run around $300-400. Whether the watch is worth that, only you can decide.

murph likes this.
  3. chipsotoole Sep 14, 2018

Great pickup!! Seems to be a wonderful catch, especially for 5 dollars!! good on you for getting rid of the band, they are poison as they chew through delicate watch lugs over time. This cal 344 ref 6251 is a pretty early Omega bumper Automatic from the first half of 50's. They aren't worth a huge amount of money but it is worth fixing. you could probably fix it up for around 250 USD (at a guess) and if you sold it you'd get your money back and perhaps a little more, but as the dial's seen some damage , probably not heaps more...mebbe 300-400 USD. ..other might chime in with a better idea.

MauiSurfBrah, murph and gdupree like this.
  4. Canuck Sep 14, 2018

If you are contemplating fixing the watch up and wearing it, bear in mind it is a mechanical watch, not battery powered. If you have never owned a mechanical watch (some folks never have), be prepared that they aren’t as accurate as quartz, and run down when not worn. If all you need is a watch, the cost of servicing this one will not be palatable. If you know about mechanical watches, and really want this one, then you might consider the cost of servicing it to your liking. Other than the obvious things it needs, the movement (the “works”) looks good. This model is pretty well obsolete. So, if parts are required, that could be an expensive problem.

Etp095 likes this.
  5. MauiSurfBrah Sep 14, 2018

Awesome score! I'd get it serviced (but not touch the dial), find a nice handmade strap for it and go! Those gold filled cases can really look great with a like a NATO strap too. I like that face, with the 12, 3, 9 numerals better than the ones without. I'd call that a lucky thrift shop find if I've ever seen one!

Etp095 likes this.
  6. WatchVaultNYC Sep 14, 2018

I think there is still a possibility to get a crystal and hands and still end up ahead.

Edward53 likes this.