Forums Latest Members

I own a 1861 Moonwatch and FOIS, should I be wanting the Ed White?

1. AimForTheStars Jun 7, 2021

I own both a Hessalite Moonwatch and the FOIS. I’ve never been attracted by movements but more the history of my watches..that’s where the 321 Ed White reissue comes in.

I’ve seen posts by members who have been waiting for the 321 calibre to be made for years. Members talk about this watch being one that can be passed down for generations. I’m not one of these people however I’m attracted to it based on the history of the movement and I also like the gold index markers, old school Speedmaster font and of course the sandwhich case back but at 12k this seems even more of a luxury especially as I own the 2 watches mentioned above.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Edited Jun 7, 2021
    Pun likes this.
  2. marcn Enough space to say witty Jun 7, 2021

Asking about this as a "should I" already suggests that you're not debilitatingly in love with the watch, and though I've said it in other threads, I'll say it again -- for me, it's all about possessing "treasure, not stuff". Nobody needs more stuff. We swim in an ocean of stuff.

Now my treasure could very well be "stuff" to everyone else, but it's what I love. I have very few watches now, but each of them is currently irreplaceable, and the severity of my affection towards these pieces is weirdly gratifying.

If having an Ed White will be just more stuff to you, then skip it. Hunch says you already know what your heart tells you. Listen to it.

Pun, Andrew C, Scooterino36 and 9 others like this.
  3. Donn Chambers Jun 7, 2021

Your current Speedmaster can also be passed down to generations just as well as this $12k “special” watch. The new 321 model is nice, but not worth the premium in my opinion. I had an older 321 caliber Speedmaster and sold it — there wasn’t anything magical about the movement, unless you have mythologized it, which It doesn’t seem you have.

enjoy the Speedmasters you have and don’t jump on the FOMO bandwagon.

Pun and nicolamilton like this.
  4. Evitzee Jun 7, 2021

Every mechanical watch today is an emotional possession, they aren't needed by any stretch of the imagination. You can't rationalize as to whether you need a new 321 Ed White. From a practical standpoint, hell no. From an emotional standpoint, only YOU can decide. If it sings to you, buy one, if not, then don't. In my eyes this 321 worship is silly so I won't ever get one, but to others they are some sort of grail piece. Everyone is different, it's all about emotion.

Pun, applebook, cvalue13 and 2 others like this.
  5. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Jun 8, 2021

You should sell both and get a g-shock, and spend the remains on your wife and family, or donate it to charity :)

Edited Jun 8, 2021
  6. amfalconer Jun 8, 2021

If you're dead set on having a 321 movement, then yeah, I guess so, but I'd be spending my money on a vintage 321 over the re-issue personally.

If I was spending that kind of money on another watch, it wouldn't be another Speedmaster.

7. stevec14 Jun 8, 2021

I’m in the opposite camp to the above. I would never consider a vintage one and much prefer the new watch with warranty etc. But that’s just me.

some may say it’s not worth it - that’s subjective. My view is that it is having owned lots of different Speedmaster’s and worth the premium - but that’s something only you can decide.

for me, it’s a step up on the others - but there’s certainly nothing wrong with keeping what you have. Having gone through many models, it’s exactly what I want in a speedmaster - that should be what matters and I’m happy with my purchase - albeit it is bloody expensive but I’m ok with that.

everyone will have different views, and that’s what makes this hobby what it is.

Xeer, waggy, cfracing and 2 others like this.
  8. Om3ga321 Jun 8, 2021

If you like Speedmasters then you will love the new EW.
    I cannot explain the "IT" thing about the watch but it feels and looks great.
    Yes it is an old design but it looks new and so so crisp.
    You own a FOIS so i'd say the minute you cast your eyes on the EW you will want to own it and it has nothing to do with the 321 movement.
    Just my 2 cents worth.

M'Bob likes this.
  9. M'Bob Jun 8, 2021

To be completely fair, this forum is silly, replete with first-world luxury watch banter and perceived “problems.” Worshiping the cal. 321 is therefore no sillier than anything else we do here.

applebook, stevec14, waggy and 6 others like this.
  10. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Jun 8, 2021

Amen. Praise to the 321-lords…

(edit: to be clear, the 321-lords would be Lemania ;) )

Edited Jun 8, 2021
    Pun, cvalue13, M'Bob and 2 others like this.
  11. Evitzee Jun 8, 2021

True, but in the end one's idea of silly will be a dead serious issue for someone else. That's why it's all silly.

Pun likes this.
  12. cvalue13 Jun 8, 2021

Setting aside the obvious points that we’re talking about luxury watches, yadda yadda:

If studied closely side by side (visually and otherwise), the SS321 would be chosen over the FOIS all day long were they at the same price point.

But since they’re not at the same price point, the decision definitely hinges (1) preferences and (2) cost sensitivity.

stevec14 likes this.
  13. applebook Jun 9, 2021

Exactly. I do not like "which watch is superior" topics in most cases. In most cases, my phone is technically superior to all watches. It's an emotional investment once the watch meets the basic acceptable levels of functionality, reliability, and finishing standards. All Moonwatches from any era exceed the first two criteria, and most do not meet the last, as even the legendary Cal 321 in the Pre-Moon is virtually undecorated.

To me, the 105 is THE Moonwatch, but this is a purely emotional judgment.

Pun likes this.
  14. Andrew C Jun 9, 2021

So. Much. This. Wonderful advice.

madjestikmoose, marcn and Pun like this.
  15. scapa Jun 9, 2021

This is important to remember. I passed on a classic Seiko recently to my teenager. It isn’t expensive in WIS terms, but it’s a great piece, with much vintage charm, and he loves wearing and fiddling with it.

Would he love a 2k Prospex or 8k GS diver more? I don’t see it. It’s the watch, it’s history of ownership and attachment to family, and relationships that makes up its worth.

Had my dad bequeathed me a FOIS, I’d treasure it, and would waste not one second thinking about how much more I’d love it if he’d left that EW321 instead.

Buy the one you live for your own reasons, whatever they may be. Them enjoy it.

Edited Jun 9, 2021
    Pun and DoctorEvil like this.
  16. DoctorEvil Jun 9, 2021

That's great advice and I love your sentiments.
    My Dad gifted me a beat up Seamaster 2849 late last year and I'll treasure it as if it were a mint Paul Newman Daytona. That emotional bond is priceless.

Pun and scapa like this.
  17. stratguy Jun 17, 2021

I have some really expensive watches, but my son covets a 13 y/o Breitling Blackbird that is the least expensive watch I own. I will be giving it him next year and he will be thrilled.

I think the 1861 and FOIS are an awesome combination and I would not be interested in an Ed White - but that's just me.

AimForTheStars likes this.