Forums Latest Members
  1. midcentury Sep 28, 2018

I've been wearing an Apple Watch since the original was launched, and I really love it. Before that, I hadn't worn a watch in 20 years. Fast forward to today: the latest Apple Watch, which is arguably the product finally at full fruition, is available, but now something in me is different. For the first time ever, I want fewer screens in my life and an honest-to-God mechanical watch on my wrist. Something made to last for decades, not product cycles.

I first noticed the 1948 Seamaster tribute announced at Basel, which caught my eye and promptly inspired me to search for a genuine vintage piece. That'll take some time as I'm trying to really get a good deal there, and I enjoy the learning / hunting process.

But then I discovered the modern stuff. With my tiny little wrists and love of all things space, the FOIS emerged early as a strong candidate. It also just seems like a good value.

IMG_2113.JPG

And now I have a problem. :whistling:

I was surprised by the weight and thickness of the FOIS, but then again I've essentially never worn a steel watch like this. The iPhone's wide angle lens makes it look bigger than it is, but in person 39mm looks just about perfect on my childlike wrist. I love everything about this watch. Even the way the buttons feel when you press them. Pretty sure one of these is coming home with me any day now.

PS: This website should come with a warning label. ;)

Edited Sep 28, 2018
  2. aesguerra Sep 28, 2018

From a fellow FOIS fan who actually OWNS one, I agree - you have a problem! :D :D :D

31DA1A1C-37DC-4425-93C3-64D7E5C4CDF0.jpeg

Best not to fight it. You'll only make things harder on yourself. Lol!

Cheers,

Alex

3. midcentury Sep 28, 2018

How long have you had it? The band really ages wonderfully. Any regrets/concerns? Do you feel like you have to baby it? What should someone – especially someone kind of new to mechanical watches – know before owning a FOIS?

fskywalker likes this.
  4. aesguerra Sep 28, 2018

I've had mine for a little over three years now, and I have zero regrets! It's a wonderful timepiece, based on a classic reference that has its own great history. The mechanical movement learning curve is pretty shallow - the Caliber 1861 movement is a stout one with 48 hrs worth of power reserve and is very reliable; literally, its wind and go. :) As for weight, I guarantee you that you'll acclimate within a couple weeks at beast. ;) The only gotcha that I feel needs to be pointed out is that the lug width is 19mm instead of the more standard 20mm; if you are the kind of guy who likes to swap straps, this somewhat limits your options.

0B1FAF35-51AC-4EB6-9F5E-03323AA2A5AF.jpeg

As for "babying it", I never babied mine, and she is a daily wearer whenever it's in the wrist-time rotation. I'm pretty aware of it whenever it's worn, and that automatically makes me don't-flail-your-left-arm cautious. It's got some marks, and it's taken em with grace. That picture I posted was taken yesterday.

Note - I'd be remiss to not mention the following. The FOIS is a space-themed watch, based off of the precursor to the famed Moonwatch thatbisbthe Speedmaster Professional. While that 42mm beast didn't work out for me, I still encourage you to at least glance at the hesalite version before settling on your decision. THAT is the iconic Speedmaster.

Hope this helps.

5. midcentury Sep 28, 2018

SUPER helpful. Thank you!

fskywalker likes this.
  6. ras47 Sep 28, 2018

My story is similar. I went tech for watches, going first digital, then Apple smartwatch. Sensory overload set in, too many notifications, and I felt like I was wearing an electronic leash. The conflict for me was that I need SOMEthing on my wrist for the time. Generational thing - kids today automatically look at their cellphones for the time. I come from a time before cellphones. I've had a watch on my wrist for 40 years or more. Seamasters and Speedmasters now for me. And the occasional Rolex GMT Master II. Moonwatch - 1.jpg Seamaster.jpg 20180810GMT1.jpg

Edited Oct 3, 2018
  7. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Sep 28, 2018

This forum Has a big tendency to get people to buy Speedies.

8. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 28, 2018

Confess to owning. _1010873b.jpg omega_image.3484758s.jpg

9. midcentury Sep 28, 2018

Is it better to try to get one with a lower number, or does it not matter (as much) because they're not truly limited? The one I tried on in the boutique today was somewhere just north of #10,000.

fskywalker likes this.
  10. aesguerra Sep 29, 2018

I don't think the number really matters. At least that's the gist of a model that is a Numbered Edition and not a Limited Edition. Just my opinion.

fskywalker likes this.
  11. alam Sep 29, 2018

I'm sure you have seen this thread, but I'll point it again just to help you stay focused :)

midcentury likes this.
  12. teojjsg Sep 29, 2018

Numbers doesn't really matter even in LE in terms of monetary value. However, you might want to hunt down a number that is meaningful to you... Just my 2 cents.

fskywalker likes this.
  13. JamieG Sep 30, 2018

Just enjoy the FOIS. If you think it’s too heavy go and try a Planet Ocean on a Bracelet: you’ll soon recognise that you were wrong about the Speedy.

Don’t worry about numbers either

fskywalker, midcentury and Foo2rama like this.
  14. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Sep 30, 2018

image.jpg
    image.jpg
    @JamieG
    233g vs 76g...

What where you saying?

fskywalker, ras47, The Father and 2 others like this.
  15. midcentury Sep 30, 2018

fskywalker and Foo2rama like this.
  16. midcentury Oct 2, 2018

So today I tried on the regular Moonwatch, and while I think it did confirm that I prefer the more vintage styling of the FOIS, I can't help but wish the FOIS came with all those extra goodies (loupe, additional straps, strap change tool, extra BIG box, etc.).

:)

fskywalker likes this.
  17. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Oct 2, 2018

meh nice to have but just take up space.

18. JamieG Oct 2, 2018

Exactly that....the Speedy is a lovely lightweight piece compared to the Planet Ocean. Didn’t think it was that much of a difference though :)

fskywalker and Foo2rama like this.
  19. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Oct 2, 2018

Brown strap in the middle is damn good lookin

fskywalker likes this.
  20. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Oct 2, 2018

Yes this watch stuff is a difficulty
    Still kick myself for not buying this one
    upload_2018-10-2_17-13-24.jpeg