Forums Latest Members
  1. Hotwheelbill Mar 21, 2014

Well, I now have 5 Omega watches, two will need some case cleaning and new Crystals. I did buy a $23 press off of Amazon and a case holder and two case back openers. What else do I need? Advice on the procedure to replace the Crystals myself and how to measure size and shape? Should I try to oil myself and how? How and should I clean the cases and small scratches? How do I get the crown off?
    I know I jumped in here without knowing much.....anything, about watches, but I am having fun with it.

2. Hotwheelbill Mar 21, 2014

Also, two are Seamasters. Do I need to replace the gasket after opening?

3. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Mar 21, 2014

If you don't know how to remove the stem from your movement at this time, I suggest you put all of your tools to one side for a while, take a few deep breaths and start scouring the internet for guidance.

We could tell you step by step, but the probability of you busting something increases by each moment you don't have a mentor over your shoulder.

Changing crystals is also a bit of an art and getting some old clunkers with plexi crystals is a good way to learn.

There are a number of vids on utube, and heaps of "watchmaker" posts on various forums.

Here is a quick one to get you going, it's Seiko based but will give you some basics.

http://www.clockmaker.com.au/diy_seiko_7s26/chapter1.html

I'll see if I can dig up some more.

Patience Grasshopper.

rhetoric and UncleBuck like this.
  4. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Mar 21, 2014

This could turn into another parts find for Al...... ::popcorn::

5. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Mar 21, 2014

I asked my watchmaker friend for some basics and he said "go to Oklahoma State University for 4 years of horological training and then we will begin". He wanted me to spend weeks learning how to sharpen a screwdriver properly.

I wanted to clean and oil some simple movements and I now realize that this is a multi-year proposition.
    That is actually ok for me as I am retired and willing to do what it takes, but it is a clear signal of how fascinating and complex the world of mechanical watches truly is (are).
    If you just want to switch out some crystals, follow Jim's lead. If you want to learn some basic watch repair, recognize that it is an art and a science that will command your respect.
    You will soon be in awe of the masters of the mechanical watch.

Archer, JohnSteed and rhetoric like this.
  6. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Mar 22, 2014

Well now that we've started you on the journey, pull up a chair and start reading.

Here's a couple of places to start.

http://www.thewatchguy.com/index.html

http://www.cwrnh.com/
    (Scroll to bottom of the page)

Call me when you think you've absorbed all of that, and then YOU can tell US how to remove the stem from your Seamaster.

7. Hotwheelbill Mar 22, 2014

Come on man.....lol

8. Hotwheelbill Mar 22, 2014

OK, Thanks for the links. I will be a little more patient.....wow, did I just type that?

9. pascs Mar 22, 2014

Replacing the hessalite crystal on something like the standard Speedmaster is relatively easy, but for an amateur, the potential for disaster is huge.

10. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Mar 22, 2014

Buy a few G-Shocks and pull them apart then try Seiko,s and play before you start on the Citizens then you can start on the Fossils ;)

11. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Mar 22, 2014

I should warn the OP against starting on high end watches such as just quoted, I'd suggest the lower end of the market like Invicta (if you can find one with a Plexi ;))

12. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Mar 22, 2014

Where would the plexi be VICTA.jpg

13. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 22, 2014

Hotwheelbill,

Sorry, but watch repair is not something you learn over a weekend by "fiddling" or even reading various blogs on the internet - some of which I'm sure have "suspect" information in them.

Just something as "simple" as replacing a crystal has more to it than most people realize. First, there are many different materials for crystals (sapphire, mineral glass, acrylic), and even within one group like acrylic, there are many different styles and different ways in which they are mounted. These differences can affect how they are installed (not all use a press for example) and how you measure the crystal and determine what the correct size is for a proper fit.

I don't like to dampen people's enthusiasm for working on watches and learning things (quite the opposite in fact), but to channel Donald Rumsfeld a little bit..."But there are also unknown unknowns – there are things we do not know we don't know."

At the time he said this, I thought he was a complete twit, but the fact is he has sort of "nailed" it. When someone says they don't know how to remove a crown (what you really mean is to remove the stem and crown) and then says "Should I try to oil?" well this is not going to end up well....100% sure of that.

If you are serious about learning watch repair, then I suggest looking into schools if you want to make it a profession. If you just want to tinker, put the Omegas away, and buy some cheap watches in a lot off eBay. You WILL ABSOLUTELY break things, and you should start out working on watches with zero value, not something that is going to cost you a fortune to replace all the wheels/pallet forks with broken pivots I see in your future. Get some proper books on watch repair (DeCarle, Fried, etc.) and start reading. Read all the books, then read them again, and only then start working on a watch.

Watch repair/servicing requires one thing more than anything else - patience. If you rush into this, you will break things and quickly become frustrated, and likely quit. The best way of ensuring you will stick with it, is to proceed slow and steady.

I know my post may run some the wrong way, but it really is much more involved to do right than people think.

Good luck, and if you get into it and have specific questions, people who know me will tell you I am always willing to help.

Cheers, Al

lando, Fritz, Hotwheelbill and 5 others like this.
  14. Mothra Mar 22, 2014

I managed to bust the practice movement shipped to me by the time zone correspondence course. It didn't exactly match the course material, I made an incorrect assumption, 30s later, dead movement. After that I decided to start collecting watches rather than restoring them. I'm sure there are plenty of brighter members than me, but its not easy and everything is so bloody... small...

15. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Mar 22, 2014

Tried to pull apart my fishing reels after a few expensive services ($400 reel never ran the same) ::facepalm2:: and now i leave it to the pros.
    Could only imagine watches

Same as Mothra collecting watches is easier..

16. seamonster Respectable Member Mar 22, 2014

Respectable Member Hotwheelbill

Anything to do with a watch, it is advisable to leave it to the competent professionals. Otherwise, it will be a scenario of penny wise and pound foolish.

Thank you.

17. Hotwheelbill Mar 23, 2014

Thanks for all the advice. I did go a little far with the oiling bit. And I have no plans to repair as much as clean. My place I would like to be with this is to have the ability to remove the movement of a watch, replace the crystal and clean the case. Oh, and reassemble. I am sure there is a good bit to learn with the crystal, but that is my goal right now.

18. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Mar 23, 2014

After all, How hard can it be..... jenny's bike.jpg