Forums Latest Members

I need some help Identifying if this is a real Omega or not please help !

1. Coryb Aug 29, 2016

image.png image.png image.png I just purchased this and hope it is not fake . But I know the band is image.png

Edited Aug 29, 2016
    GuiltyBoomerang likes this.
  2. ulackfocus Aug 29, 2016

Looks authentic to me. I question the originality of that red second hand though, and the crown may or may not be a replacement. I'd want to see better closeups of the dial before saying for sure it's original. Even if it isn't, the refinisher did a good job.

Don't worry about the band. It's a Speidel stretch band which was a popular aftermarket option in the 60's and 70's.

Coryb and GuiltyBoomerang like this.
  3. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Aug 29, 2016

Why do the noobs come here to check the authenticity after they buy a watch?

4. ulackfocus Aug 29, 2016

Oh, I could write you a pretty accurate psych evaluation of n00b collectors. Being one myself along time ago, and subsequently seeing their behavior on watch forums for years & years, has made me hyper aware of some very common behaviors.

While this "buy first, ask questions later" usually ends badly, it's not as bad as the n00bs who vanish on sellers after asking 3 days worth of questions. Show me a grumpy watch seller on eBay who says they'll only sell to veteran collectors and I'll show you a seller who's dealt with too many n00bs that flaked on him.

tapaptpat, voere and Coryb like this.
  5. ulackfocus Aug 29, 2016

Oh, and our OP installed an avatar, plus said please, so I like him already.

Nicely done @Coryb!

6. GuiltyBoomerang Aug 29, 2016

We were all noobs once.

Especially me - I was looking for cheap things and found a Cal 26.5 and first post for me was "Does Non-Magnetic signify authenticity for a 40s watch?" Obviously over time, if you really want to get into it, your knowledge gets better, and you help others, relate your experiences, buy books, tinkering tools...

My 26.5 is now sadly sitting by itself with a broken balance/loose jewel. It was my noob watch, but it holds a special place in my collection.

Now as for the watch...looks neat. I would echo @ulackfocus's view that the dial might be suspect, and that seconds hand could be a replacement. For a first Omega, you've done pretty well!

Coryb likes this.
  7. Coryb Aug 29, 2016

You're a funny dude or whatever you are.

8. Coryb Aug 29, 2016

Thanks everybody for the input I will post other pictures of the dial when I receive it tomorrow .

9. Coryb Aug 29, 2016

So $160 is not a bad price for it?

ConElPueblo likes this.
  10. ulackfocus Aug 29, 2016

$160 is a great price for it.

11. Coryb Aug 29, 2016

OK that's good to know thank you. And did you see the new picture I posted of the back of the watch can you tell me what model it is ?

12. GuiltyBoomerang Aug 29, 2016

Hm, yes it is a good price! (says $180 here though.)

The listing here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-OMEGA-Cal-601-MEN-17-Jewels-WRISTWATCH-1966-NICE-/361699583636Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

This watch looks closest to these models from the Vintage area of the Omega site: https://www.omegawatches.com/planet-omega/heritage/vintage-details/15134/ and https://www.omegawatches.com/planet-omega/heritage/vintage-details/15023/ .

At first, I thought the dial might have been a redial/replacement. That is to say, the watch dial should say 'Geneve' or 'Seamaster 600,' as these two watch lines used the same calibre and case. As your caseback is not signed, it leads me to believe that this is a Geneve. As part of the International Collection, some watches sold overseas didn't have this branding. I suspect that this is the case here. As for the dial, it is either original or a very good redial, as a Seamaster 600 watch I found online does have the same number font and arrangement. I've put your watch and the SM600 picture together for easy comparison.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Crown does look slightly more beefy and is probably a replacement. For this model, the hour and minute hands are appropriate as there is no luminous material (hence why it only says 'Swiss Made' on the bottom and not 'T Swiss Made T' which indicates the use of tritium.) The sweep seconds is more than likely a non-original replacement, while the crystal is also a generic replacement. Case edges are still sharp, which is a bonus.

Overall a decent pickup. Welcome to the forums!

(Edit: The previous watchmaker/owner might have been slightly careless and left a hair inside the watch between the 7 and 8 o'clock markers :p )

Coryb likes this.
  13. ulackfocus Aug 29, 2016

The 135.012 is the reference (model) number. Omega started with that 6 digit (sometimes 7 - 3 before and 4 after the decimal point) around 1962 so we know it can't be before then.

Here's how the coding for the reference numbers work:

[​IMG]

14. Coryb Aug 29, 2016

Thanks for all the info I actually have three other nice of Omega's that I'm bidding on . LOL I see what you are talking about .

15. ulackfocus Aug 29, 2016

The serial number on the movement of 23,674,220 puts the manufacturing date at 1966.

99ae1b84.jpg

16. ulackfocus Aug 29, 2016

Marking this thread with my special search word so I can use it as an example of how to properly ask about your watch.

ecclesiastical

Coryb likes this.
  17. Coryb Aug 29, 2016

And $180 is right I don't know how I put $160 sorry

18. ulackfocus Aug 29, 2016

No worries. Anything under $250 was a deal.

Coryb likes this.
  19. GuiltyBoomerang Aug 29, 2016

No worries, just part of internet sleuthing :)

A Hallelujah moment?

Yes, as @ulackfocus points out, those reference charts come in very handy for verifying authenticity of Omega watches. Combined with internet searches, you can deduce a lot of things quite comfortably :)

Coryb likes this.
  20. Coryb Aug 29, 2016

This is the next one I'm going for image.jpeg