I need a non-Rolex sports watch.

Can't go wrong with a Black Bay Pro 79470. ;)

IMG_0481-scaled.jpg
+1 or take an x-33 and call it a day.

patek and ap on your list--have you considered a vacheron overseas? high quality and they run a bit under the radar if you're "exposure sensitive"

Like 1
By way of a conclusion to this, I have bought a steel sports watch and my choice came as something of a surprise to me!

I am a fan of "quality" watches. I enjoy the history, the craftsmanship and particularly the longevity. I like that a quality watch bought today will likely still be about in fifty or a hundred years and it will be serviceable. I have several watches (JLC mainly) that fall into this category.

But after two years of hunting I did not find a steel watch I really liked. None of the Holy Trinity makers have anything. I tried on a Vacheron Constantin Overseas last week and thought "meh, it's alright". I didn't love it and, if you're spending Vacheron money you need to love what you're buying.

Every time I saw my son's Tissot PRX, however, I found myself slightly envious. It's like a better looking AP Royal Oak. But I couldn't buy one could I? Not with him owning one too. He'd look like Mini Me or me like I was copying him in the vain hope of looking younger!

Enter the Tissot PRX 35 Powermatic 80, 35mm.

I was intrigued by these because there is something about them that is a "watch for today". They are smaller than most sports watches of the past 10-15 years and the way they are made is interesting.

They have a cheap ETA movement, which is modified to give longer power reserve. They also have some polymer components, which makes the movement essentially a disposable item.

What I REALLY like though is that they seem to have worked out how to send a mechanical watch out of the factory that is regulated properly. Both my son's and mine run +2 out of the box. The one thing that REALLY gets on my thrupennies is buying a lovely new watch and then being forced to choose between sending it back to the factory for six weeks to be regulated or putting up with a -6s/day rate.

This watch cost me under £500 but looks, wears and performs like something better. I love stuff that is both cheap and good, and when some people are really struggling with the cost of living crisis I suppose there is a part of me that feels better about buying a PRX over a more expensive watch.

The navy blue dial option looks great and would be my first choice, but my son has the 40mm blue one so I had to choose something else really. The white dial would be great but it's MOP and on a smaller watch looked a bit feminine. So by process of elimination I went for the black, which in real life is more dark grey. It really suits the retro case style and looks good with a suit.

So, in conclusion, the Tissot PRX has ticked a lot of boxes for me. In time I probably will buy a "better" steel watch, but it is likely to be a vintage piece that I have restored. For now however I am extremely pleased with my PRX.

Like 9
Don't know the case size but looks very similar to a Rolex Oyster Quartz Ref 17000
W-1546-Rolex-Oysterquartz-Black-Dial-ref-17000_00.jpg

Interesting conclusion to your search - but if you don't find the "Big" watch that you like, finding one that you really like - and then spending an absolute fraction of the price - is the perfect way to handle this.

Finding a watch you like matters, not buying into prestige. (You've got that box ticked, anyway.)

Like 1
Don't know the case size but looks very similar to a Rolex Oyster Quartz Ref 17000
W-1546-Rolex-Oysterquartz-Black-Dial-ref-17000_00.jpg

It's a 35mm and yes, it is very much like an Oyster quartz! In fact I think the design is a copy of a Tissot from the 70s.

By way of a conclusion to this, I have bought a steel sports watch and my choice came as something of a surprise to me!

I am a fan of "quality" watches. I enjoy the history, the craftsmanship and particularly the longevity. I like that a quality watch bought today will likely still be about in fifty or a hundred years and it will be serviceable. I have several watches (JLC mainly) that fall into this category.

But after two years of hunting I did not find a steel watch I really liked. None of the Holy Trinity makers have anything. I tried on a Vacheron Constantin Overseas last week and thought "meh, it's alright". I didn't love it and, if you're spending Vacheron money you need to love what you're buying.

Every time I saw my son's Tissot PRX, however, I found myself slightly envious. It's like a better looking AP Royal Oak. But I couldn't buy one could I? Not with him owning one too. He'd look like Mini Me or me like I was copying him in the vain hope of looking younger!

Enter the Tissot PRX 35 Powermatic 80, 35mm.

I was intrigued by these because there is something about them that is a "watch for today". They are smaller than most sports watches of the past 10-15 years and the way they are made is interesting.

They have a cheap ETA movement, which is modified to give longer power reserve. They also have some polymer components, which makes the movement essentially a disposable item.

What I REALLY like though is that they seem to have worked out how to send a mechanical watch out of the factory that is regulated properly. Both my son's and mine run +2 out of the box. The one thing that REALLY gets on my thrupennies is buying a lovely new watch and then being forced to choose between sending it back to the factory for six weeks to be regulated or putting up with a -6s/day rate.

This watch cost me under £500 but looks, wears and performs like something better. I love stuff that is both cheap and good, and when some people are really struggling with the cost of living crisis I suppose there is a part of me that feels better about buying a PRX over a more expensive watch.

The navy blue dial option looks great and would be my first choice, but my son has the 40mm blue one so I had to choose something else really. The white dial would be great but it's MOP and on a smaller watch looked a bit feminine. So by process of elimination I went for the black, which in real life is more dark grey. It really suits the retro case style and looks good with a suit.

So, in conclusion, the Tissot PRX has ticked a lot of boxes for me. In time I probably will buy a "better" steel watch, but it is likely to be a vintage piece that I have restored. For now however I am extremely pleased with my PRX.
I considered buying a PRX auto, but I got the Tudor Royal instead, and that ticked the "Genta" box for me. Congrats on a fine (and economical) purchase.

The one thing that I wondered about the PRX was the bracelet. I really like my bracelets to have smooth edges and for the links to move very freely. How does yours feel?

The one thing that I wondered about the PRX was the bracelet. I really like my bracelets to have smooth edges and for the links to move very freely. How does yours feel?

When I first got the watch the bracelet was uncomfortable under my wrist. I figured that is what I could expect at that price point.

However, so niggly was it that I decided I would put an extra link in, to give my wrist a break from the irritation. When I got my eyeglass out though, I spotted that every polished surface on the bracelet buckle had the finest plastic film on it. I NEEDED magnification to see some of it, it wasn't visible to the naked eye.

Now that I have all the plastic off, the bracelet is no different from a Rolex Oyster in terms of comfort.

Like 2
When I first got the watch the bracelet was uncomfortable under my wrist. I figured that is what I could expect at that price point.

However, so niggly was it that I decided I would put an extra link in, to give my wrist a break from the irritation. When I got my eyeglass out though, I spotted that every polished surface on the bracelet buckle had the finest plastic film on it. I NEEDED magnification to see some of it, it wasn't visible to the naked eye.

Now that I have all the plastic off, the bracelet is no different from a Rolex Oyster in terms of comfort.
LOL that's a great story (because it had a happy ending). I love it when affordables like this punch so far above their weight.

In my opinion better set your budget then list all the models, take account that some brands are magnet for unscrupulous kind. 56 is indeed a good choice.

I went thru the EXACT same process last year. I ended up with a Steinhart Ocean 39 when I couldn't find a 2254.50 in Toronto for less the $4000.

The Ocean 39 was a very nice watch but after 8 months I sold it and don't miss it.

Hope you enjoy your Tissot.

Like 1
Hello All.

I sold my small collection of Rolexes a couple of years ago, because I was becoming frustrated with the explosion in popularity of the brand. Also, I predicted that the value of them would fall so, if I was going to sell, that was the time to do it.

I bought a couple of JLCs as dress watches, and they do that job very well on their leather straps. I really like them.

The problem is, I now don't have a steel sports watch to wear on the beach / to the gym / for casual. Over the summer, I nearly trashed the ostrich skin strap on one of the JLCs by getting sweat and sun cream on it. I need something I can run under the tap and wipe off with a cloth.

IDEALLY I would like a vintage or neo-vintage bracelet watch that is to some degree water resistant. I won't be diving the Titanic in it, but I'll wear it in the pool.

Watches I have considered so far:

37mm JLC Memovox (not sure about the alarm complication though).
Vacheron Constantin Fifty-Six on a bracelet (seems to tick a lot of boxes).
AP Royal Oak (But try as I might I still can't love that 70s vibe).
Patek Nautilus (even if I saved for one, again that 70s vibe...).
37mm JLC Master Control on bracelet (I have one on a strap already though).
Omega Moon Watch (more functionality than I need).
Zenith Defy (still a bit 70s isn't it...)

Any options that I may have overlooked?

GIven that you want to wear it to the gym and beach, I guess you could call it somewhat of a beater? (yet still a quality watch to match your collection)

I think a Speedmaster is a great choice. Maybe look for a 90s release if you want it to be vintage, perhaps find one with tritium markers etc to have that genuine vintage vibe/look.

Have you ever considered Ball as a brand? They are cheap (relatively) but well respected. You need to do some digging through their vast catalogue to find good ones but they exist.

Or how about Sinn? Someone suggesated Sinn here already. They are also respected by watch people!

It depends what you want to get out of it - you said you sold your Rolex as they were becoming too popular, so I'm assuming the opinions of others do matter to you somewhat. Is it the general uniniformed masses you want to impress or other watch geeks? Different watches will achieve different results!

Do you want a dive watch? Or something else but still sporty? What about microbranbds or are they of no interest?

The true purpose of it will really help to narrow down the search.

JLC Master Compressor has many styles and types with good water resistance.