I need a hand to identify an odd Omega Speedsonic case… possible prototype?

Hi all,

A while ago I bought a NOS 188.0002 Omega Speedsonic cushion case. It arrive, I didn’t think much about it and I popped it in my spares tub.

Long story short I bought another NOS 188.0002 which arrived in the post today and upon looking at both cases side by side I realise my original purchase is very different to a normal speed sonic case.

The case is the same shape, it has the same lug width, same pushers, exactly the same machining on the inside. But the bezel edge has a different profile and that’s because it has a lip that looks a lot like a lip used to mount a rotating bezel on / for the spring to sit against… or it could be a very fine screw threads for a screw on bezel.

The last digit on the watch reference on original case, the 2 of the 188.0002, has not been stamped at the same time as the rest but I have seen this before on other Speedsonic cases in the past. The case back also has a different layout on the inside, but contains the same details and the diving bell logo, but again like the “2” diving bell logo looks to have been stamped differently.

My first thought was perhaps the original case is a prototype case? Then my thoughts strayed to maybe it a different model of case on a 188.0002 case back… then to the though that it’s not a speedsonic case at all, but everything other than the lip adds up as do the dimensions.

Can anyone shed some light on to this?

I know Omega, Tissot, Certina, Baume & Mercier, Longines and Swisssonic all used an ESA 9210 movement, but none have a matching case to this

Thanks Andy

Due to the thin surrounding flat. Looks more like it had a steel ring bezel and not a rotating one

Possibly cracked and gone missing

Maybe a different type of crystal is press fitted over the raised lip. Would have to test with one from the first case to see if it fits the second in the same way

Could it be a 176.010 Seamaster yachting case????? With the wrong case back.