Forums Latest Members

I managed to put my name down on a CK2998 today with very little hassle?

1. wayneG May 23, 2016

At the weekend, I picked up my new Daytona (www.youtube.com/watchhobbyist) and whilst there, I spoke to another dealer regarding the CK2998 from Omega. They took my details and I was pretty surprised when they called today and said they had four coming in to the company, but nobody had put their name down yet so I'd be first when it's released around September.

After the issues I had getting a Daytona, the miserable failure of getting a Snoopy and trying to find another Apollo 45th Titanium/Sedna after stupidly selling it (still haven't found one), I was expecting the CK2998 would be impossible to get my name down for.

I guess I was wrong, or just lucky to walk in to that store?

GaryUFM likes this.
  2. larryganz The cable guy May 23, 2016

I just got the call from the Denver Omega Boutique an hour ago that my "Profile" that I submitted to another OB in CA was approved by Omega, and the approval was forwarded to my local OB who has the watch on order for me. ETA sometime in July.

I had actually put my name on my local OB's list the week they were first announced, and was told I was number four, however they could not guarantee me a watch if one of their "big customers" just had to have one. Being the only privately owned Omega boutique, they did not take customer profiles and get approval from Omega, so I had gone behind their back to another boutique that a member recommended to me.

nima0071 and tpatta like this.
  3. wayneG May 23, 2016

It's all getting so pretentious now isn't it. It should be first come, first served but I guess "big customers" are just what all the dealers need to survive now.

gttime likes this.
  4. Perseus May 23, 2016

Bizarre how much tomfoolery is needed to buy a watch these days.

5. wayneG May 23, 2016

It really is. With the Daytonas, dealers are in some cases demanding they hold on to the warranty cards, and even boxes for 6 months after purchase!!

6. Perseus May 23, 2016

What a load of crap!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

7. shutterlife May 23, 2016

Glad to see it work it for you. In all honesty, I don't think the CK2998 will be hard to get, if you submit your profile. Sounds like people are getting intimidated by it deciding not to get it.

8. Nobel Prize Spell Master! May 23, 2016

Or people just don't want it enough....or not enough people want it...it's all semantics anyway.

9. wayneG May 24, 2016

This profile thing seems very odd. We don't have that here in the UK. If you want to buy a watch, you just enter a store, and if there's availability, you just state you want one. With Omega, so-called Boutiques ask for a deposit, but the shop I went to the other day just put my name on a list with no exchange of money. It would take a very rare watch for me to put money down upfront tbh.

I think people are right that there isn't enough demand for these currently. Perhaps, 3 months in they'll have all sold out, and that's when the demand will kick in. Similar to the Spectre, Apollo 45th etc. Not similar to the Snoopy of course! :)

10. Nobel Prize Spell Master! May 24, 2016

Specter never sold out.

11. nima0071 May 24, 2016

glad they approved you.

12. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member May 24, 2016

The 300LE did here in the UK. None available in ANY dealers never mind Omega UK. Same for the Snoopy & Apollo 45th

13. Deckard81 May 24, 2016

It doesn't happen it Italy either. Phone call to AD, yes sir, will let you know when in store. Perhaps higher demand in the states and more flippers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wayneG likes this.
  14. alam May 24, 2016

on his way to the Boutique?

::popcorn::

Screen Shot 2016-05-23 at 9.35.34 PM.png
    davy26 likes this.
  15. ulackfocus May 24, 2016

Until money changes hands, it's all hot air.

And as we've found out in a recent thread, even if money changes hands it's no guarantee.

16. Morrisdog May 24, 2016

I am pretty sure it's sold out in Australia .. However not many were earmarked for the whole country.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

17. davy26 Limited comebackability is his main concern. May 25, 2016

As with the new Snoopy LE, I don't like this watch on aesthetic grounds. I see, currently, 3 new Snoopys are on offer by traders. I'm pretty sure the same will happen with this CK2998 - a certain number of people buying the hype and scrambling to get on lists/put down deposits, making it appear that demand will fuel unwarranted price premiums. After all, what is this 'CK2998' - it bears very little appearance/technical connection to the original 2998 and has an unbalanced dial design which is to me very unattractive and very un-Speedmasterish. BTW, Alam, great pic, and I wonder if that poor aeroplane was able to achieve rotation?

18. EatMan May 25, 2016

Personally I find CK2998 LE aesthetically very pleasing. I think Speedy fans may find CK2998 LE deviate too far from the original 2998, but for regular consumers (non-Omega fanboys), I think they will find the watch very attractive. Plenty of non-watch dedicated press and media saying how beautiful this watch is. I was with my wife shopping for her watch, stopping by Cartier, Rolex, and Omega. I showed her sedna gold FOIS and she thought it was absolutely gorgeous; better than anything she saw at all the stores. I then showed her the picture of 2998LE and she was equally impressed. For a non-WIS, CK2998 has a lot of mass appeal at a price much more affordable than sedna gold FOIS. Plenty of Speedy collectors will look at this watch but I think it will attract non-Speedy fans as well.

Edited May 25, 2016
    meganfox17 likes this.
  19. BruceTheManLee May 25, 2016

why do say it never sold out? I had a friend who was interested in the Spectre ask a number of OB's in the US and he couldn't get one nor could the OBs help him to get one. however, I know you can find many on the 2nd hand grey-mkt unworn
    Are you referring to the Seamaster 300 Spectre or the Aqua Terra Spectre?

meganfox17 likes this.
  20. BruceTheManLee May 25, 2016

I both speedy and non-speedy.... i just like the CK2998. for me, it wouldn't have mattered what they called it - although CK2998 moniker is cool. Personally, I just needed a blue watch and this one fit the bill

meganfox17 likes this.