Forums Latest Members

I Lost My Hands! A Fave, Though Maybe Not That Valuable Seamaster. Best Way To Proceed?

1. Ted Shred Apr 28, 2013

I have a tapestry dial seamaster that I snagged 10 or so years ago. I can't remember the details (I bought it through Finer Times) but I recall it was from the early 50's (it doesn't have the embossed seahorse on the back so I think that means it's from before '56 or so). Afaik, it's all original, but I guess I'm not positive. It was the first non-timex type watch I ever bought and I really love it.

I was wearing it the other day, checked for the time and, horror upon horrors, I noticed the minute and second hands were gone. And so was the crystal. I guess that I must have banged my wrist on something. Amazingly, a couple days later I found the crystal, in perfect shape, down in my building's parkade.

Here's a couple pics of the watch prior to the disaster (I have a way cool lizard strap on it atm too)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I've never had a vintage watch repaired, so I'm not sure the best way to proceed. I have no idea how common those hands are, or even what they're called (model # etc). I'm not sure it would be worth it to see if I can find original hands. Would an Omega repair guy be able to lay his hands on some? Would it be better to maybe just have an Omega repair guy throw some other, relatively close, hands on there? Might it be better just to throw some cheapies on there? I think I paid about $300 for the watch, and have no idea how much it's worth now as I haven't seen one like it for sale.

Just wondering what some opinions are on the best way to proceed here.

Thanks!

2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 29, 2013

It's possible the hands are still available from Omega - would need to know the case reference and what movement is inside in order to look them up for you.

Cheers, Al

Ted Shred likes this.
  3. Ted Shred Apr 29, 2013

Ah, that makes total sense. (As you can see, I'm a bit slow sometimes, lol.) I'll take it into a jeweler and get 'em to open her up to get that info. Thanks Archer!

4. ozmega Apr 30, 2013

Check out Otto Frei.

He's got all sorts of bits, but they're expensive.