Forums Latest Members
  1. 64Wing May 30, 2019

By a show of likes, how many of you absolutely cannot stand Pinterest?

You do a web search, or worse yet an image search, and everything you click sends you to Pinterest and you can't find any additional information about something you're trying to research...like a particular timepiece. It's oddly reminiscent of watch flippers to me.

Anyway, fear not! I have found a way to ensure that my searches NEVER show me a Pinterest result again.

The only problem I'm trying to work out is that you need to take an extra step if you're looking for a Maps result.

If anyone cares to follow my lead, I'll be happy to write a subsequent post about how to rid you of the beast.

WatchShopping, Tet, Toishome and 14 others like this.
  2. Dan S May 30, 2019

What is Pinterest? :D

And while I'm at it, what is Snapchat and what is Tumblr ... and who cares? :confused:

I know what Reddit is, but it seems incredibly crappy and useless. Almost as bad as a 1980s internet newsgroup (sorry for those of you younger than 45).

I was a member of Facebook for a while, but it didn't do anything for me, and I deleted my account when I finally realized that Zuckerberg is an evil jackass.

[Note: These are rhetorical questions, so you don't need to explain these social media platforms to me. I don't actually give a shit.]

Edited May 30, 2019
    rcs914, kkt, noelekal and 10 others like this.
  3. 64Wing May 30, 2019

Nobody needs you to give a shit...but for the record: there are some slick deals on the Reddit marketplace for watches.

Just trying to do anybody a solid if they want to avoid the annoyance of it all

WatchShopping and Dan S like this.
  4. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 30, 2019

Pinterest is a place for fashion brands and low end luxury watches. Little reason for vintage or collectors. Low end is sub $ 1,200 and flashy. The heritage releases are lost on the young demographic.

Insta for better or worse is better for most people around here.

WatchShopping and Dan S like this.
  5. 64Wing May 30, 2019

I agree. I didn't mean that I have sought watches on Pinterest, but when I try to find more information on a particular watch the internet seems to have been hijacked by Pinterest users and every trail leads back to it...

I much prefer forums of various locations filled with people that actually know stuff instead of "enthusiasts" that "pin" pictures of watches they like to their boards.

On that topic, this is a good time to express how much I am enjoying this forum and the people in it.

My best to all

noelekal, hanky6, Longbow and 2 others like this.
  6. Dan S May 30, 2019

My post was actually meant to be humorous, and I actually agree about Pinterest. It dominates the Google Images search results, and leads to many dead ends. I didn't mean to put a damper on your offer.

My experience with Reddit is apparently a bit different from yours. I obviously became aware of Reddit through the watch listings. However, the interface is incredibly clunky, and the listings seem to be almost entirely flawed pieces aimed to fool people who don't really know what they are looking at. After following the relevant "subreddits" for a couple of months, I decided it wasn't worth my time.

Sorry to go OT on your thread.

7. JPE.88305 May 30, 2019

Depends on how their stock fares

8. BenBagbag May 30, 2019

I don't feel fooled by this Polerouter Super I picked up on Reddit. Looks good to me. There are a lot of turds to wade through but it's worth a look over every once in a while...

20190508_193543.jpg

9. wsfarrell May 31, 2019

I agree, pinterest sucks. I do a lot of image searches, and for some reason pinterest often dominates the results. I'll click on an image before realizing it's pinterest, and get taken to a site that is 100% utterly useless.

Observer, rcs914, 64Wing and 4 others like this.
  10. steelfish May 31, 2019

The only problem for me is my boards are festooned with awesome wrist shots of watched that I go through phases of thinking about purchasing. They never show a bad pic. It’s a retail therapy enabler that my present salary just can’t handle.

Apart from watches I never use Pinterest for anything else

11. Wivac Terribly special May 31, 2019

This all day long. Its proliferation of image results adds an extra layer that needs to be waded through.

64Wing likes this.
  12. JimInOz Melbourne Australia May 31, 2019

Who will rid me of this troublesome pr........ I mean pintesticle galaxy of shit images?

ben-stiller-do-it.gif

Toishome likes this.
  13. Edward53 May 31, 2019

I just put (if I remember) -pinterest in the search box, but if you have a better way, please do share.

P pisses me off mightily, along with those sites that show promising pictures and direct you to an ebay auction that finished three years ago. Even more annoying is the fact that, just very, very occasionally, I have found that the dreaded P-board can lead to something useful. But I'd still be happier if it had never been invented.

64Wing, wsfarrell, BenBagbag and 2 others like this.
  14. Longbow May 31, 2019

15. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! May 31, 2019

I do love a good rant thread. ::popcorn::

Wivac likes this.
  16. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 31, 2019

Hey, I loved those newsgroups man! That's it, you are done...

PLONK!

;)

Dan S, pippy, X350 XJR and 1 other person like this.
  17. 64Wing May 31, 2019

Totally agree. I hate navigating that place.

Mostly I just pop in from time to time to see if anyone is letting go of something special that I might like!

18. JimInOz Melbourne Australia May 31, 2019

..............and then?

19. 64Wing May 31, 2019

Lol "Pop the trunk. DO it...DO it." Love the gif!

Well here's what I did:

First, in your Chrome browser (which is what I use. I may be able to figure a way for other browsers) click the three little vertically aligned dots at the top right to open the menu.

Click "Settings"

Scroll down to the section titled "Search Engine" and click "Manage Search Engines"

At the bottom of the list of Default Search Engines, click "Add"
    A box will appear with three fields.

In the first field, you can name your "new" search engine whatever you wish. I named mine "GWP" which stands for Google without Pinterest...

The second field I also put "gwp"

The key lies in the third field. Copy and paste this into it:

{google:baseURL}search?q=+-site:pinterest.*+%s&{google:RLZ}{google:eek:riginalQueryForSuggestion}{google:assistedQueryStats}{google:searchFieldtrialParameter}{google:iOSSearchLanguage}{google:searchClient}{google:sourceId}{google:contextualSearchVersion}ie={inputEncoding}

The nifty thing about this modified url is this portion: ?q=+-site:pinterest.*
    What the .* does is bar results from ANY Pinterest domain (so not just Pinterest.com, but also .ca, .au, .co.uk, etc.)

EDIT: the above url is showing smiley faces due to the text editor.
    The first smiley should be a "p" for "pinterest"
    The second should be an "o" for "original"
    The third, again, should be a "p" for "pinterest

VERY IMPORTANT: Click save and then head back out to the list of Default Search Engines and be sure to set your newly created GWP as the default.

A couple of notes:
    First, this works for when you search what you're looking for in the address bar. It will not work if you search from the Google homepage, but that's just fine. Simply start searching from the address bar.
    Second, you'll notice that when you search something the Google results page will show "-site:pinterest.*" before your search term. Essentially what we've done is program the browser to automatically insert this in front of your search term.
    Lastly, if you type in an address or the name of an establishment you are looking for a maps result on, you need to delete the "-site:pinterest.*" that precedes your search term. It's a minor annoyance, but the beauty now is that your results won't include anything from Pinterest and you can find the real sources for the nifty images that kept tugging hooks through our cheeks.

I hope some of you find this useful.
    If I can figure a way to dynamically vary the operative such that map results can be shown, I'll post a followup.

Edited May 31, 2019
    ras47 and JimInOz like this.
  20. 64Wing May 31, 2019

Sorry, started writing on my phone and finished with the laptop...it was my turn at the (ridiculously busy) barber