Forums Latest Members
  1. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Dec 12, 2016

Hello everybody. I am a new member on here but have read some of the contributions with interest. Some of the detail and changes of Speedmasters over the years seem to be very subtle. Am I right to detect a slightly cynical view of new people turning up claiming to have found their dear old Dad's vintage Omega at the back of a bedside draw?

Well that's why I'm here. I know very little about it (apart from stuff I've read online). I'm 59 now and I do remember not being allowed to pick it up when I was a kid. The 'old man' was a lorry driver so I think it's been around the block a bit. I will see if I can upload some pictures. I like the watch. It has a cool used look about it. I've owned it since 2003 but it has spent most of that time in a cupboard.
    I've read a little about some people liking the fact that the dial has gone a brownish colour??? What's going on there? Any comment good or bad will be gratefully received.

Jonathan

20161212_090638-1.jpg 20161212_090659-1.jpg 20161212_090716.jpg 20161212_090732.jpg 20161212_090807.jpg 20161212_090823-1-1.jpg 20161212_092044-1.jpg 20161212_092622-1.jpg 20161212_092731-1-1.jpg 20161212_091834.jpg 20161212_093054-1.jpg 20161212_093019-1-1.jpg
  2. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Dec 12, 2016

Oh also... any ideas why the bezel dial is a bit wonky? Is it supposed to rotate?

3. Georgieboy58 Dec 12, 2016

To start with your last question regarding the bezel, no it's not supposed to rotate.
    Wait for the real experts to chime in, but to me this looks like a watch that will clean up real nice.
    For a general overview look at http://speedmaster101.com/.
    105.012 (-65?) (corrected myself after discovering the double step case back, hands and crown replaced at some point).

Welcome to the forum!

And do not try to open the case back yourself, it looks undamaged so far.
    Only let an experienced watchmaker near it.

Edited Dec 12, 2016
    nonuffinkbloke likes this.
  4. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Dec 12, 2016

Quite a nice old speedmaster, and worth a good sum. Can't tell much about the color of the dial from your photos, but if it is truly turned brown, that simply adds to the value, since it seems to otherwise be in good condition. Overall, this Speedmaster appears to be mostly original - the hands have been changed, but the rest looks fine. The bezel doesn't rotate, so quit trying else you'll bungle it up - it is worth a near a couple thousand on its own.

Would be worth getting it serviced at a quality shop (do NOT send it to Omega), if you're planning to wear it. If you're going to sell it, leave it as is.

nonuffinkbloke and Larry S like this.
  5. bill5959 Dec 12, 2016

This group is not capable of cynicism. :D Evey other ism, including barbarism is likely to spring without warning. So welcome to our little forum.

It would be great to have a movement shot to better date this little guy. While the bracelet seems to indicate 1971, things over the years got mixed up as watches were serviced. Others here will come along and point out some of the details that can be discerned.

If yours is a family survivor, you have the best thing ever to me. Something to remember and pass along.

6. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Dec 12, 2016

Thankyou for your replies! They are much appreciated.

I would like to take it in and get the back taken off but I'm slightly suspicious of some of the local watch shops. They look a bit iffy.

I go up to London now and again. Could anybody recommend a trustworthy place. A place where they won't take it out the back and 10 minutes later bring me back a dodgy aged Chinese replica???

Jaacck likes this.
  7. tyrantlizardrex Dec 12, 2016

Hey Jonathan,

Swiss Time Services out in Essex are probably the people you want to send this to for a bit of TLC.

Simon their workshop manager and will be able to give you good advice on sympathetic service work that will make this usable without messing it about.

Cheers

Chris

8. Northernman Lemaniac Dec 12, 2016

The watch holds way to much value to let the local "battery swappers" work on it.
    It is not possible to give you a firm value, but assuming its a 105.012 model in running condition it would be worth well north of USD5000.
    The wrong people may ruin the value all together, the right ones will ensure it holds.
    I am 100% with @tyrantlizardrex in his advice to pay STS a visit!

nonuffinkbloke and Snorkelflip like this.
  9. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Dec 12, 2016

Thankyou Chris and Thankyou Northernman.

I had an idea that I shouldn't let the local Dorset boys loose on it but I didn't know if I was being a bit paranoid. My Dad wore this watch every day so I'm aware it's not a real pristine collectors item, but it is what it is and I suppose, just being an Omega Speedmaster must give it some right to a bit of professional care.

I'm interested to know what the numbers on the strap (1171 & 633 indicate.
    Also why has the dial gone brown? (It looks more brown in bright light)
    I've also notice that some of these watches have the 'Moonwatch' writing on the back of the case. If my watch is from after the Apollo moon mission should it have such a plain case back?
    How often should I wind it? How many turns? (Don't want to damage it)
    I've read that Speedmasters glow brightly in the dark. I tried the 20 second under a bright light test but it didn't stay luminous for very long really??? Does the luminous coating degrade? Are there any none health risks to these old luminous substances? (Don't need to be growing new fingers at this stage of life due to radioactive stuff)
    You guys must get really fed up with this kind of basic stuff but It really is helpful to a novice.
    Thankyou for taking the time to read and comment.
    cheers!

Jaacck likes this.
  10. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Dec 12, 2016

That should have been Are there any Known health risks... hopefully none.

Jaacck likes this.
  11. bill5959 Dec 12, 2016

Well yours is tritium. Radioactive but very lightly so and with a half life of 12 years or so. It shouldn't glow in the dark anymore, so you are very safe.

12. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Dec 12, 2016

That's good to know. I've had a shed load of x-rays this year!:eek:

Jaacck likes this.
  13. drhex Dec 12, 2016

You should not wind it at all until it has received a service given the history you wrote up. This is a tritium dial where the radioactive emissions from the lume made things glow. The tritium has gone to weak to make it shine, so the short afterglow is quite normal and actually a good sign showing that you don't have replacement parts on it.
    Nice watch!

14. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Dec 12, 2016

You have almost answered your own question. Pre-69 Apollo 11, watches wouldn't have moonwatch writing ;)

15. drhex Dec 12, 2016

There used to be radium in there which in a closed watch isn't a risk but ask the ladies who lumed the dials - google "radium girls"...

16. JACK G Dec 12, 2016

Agree with Chris - I thoroughly recommend Simon at STS and wouldn't trust anyone else.

Have a look at their website.................

www.swisstimeservices.co.uk/

Although you are in Dorset pack it well and send by Royal Mail Next Day Delivery.

Jack

17. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Dec 12, 2016

This is a valuable watch.

Its a brown dialed 105.012, probably a -65, but could be a -63 (unlikely) or a -64 (possibly). Its hard to tell if the brown is pleasing patina, or degraded decay - its a fine line and collectors often argue the toss, but I am certain this watch is worth more than a similar condition black dial

STS are the only people I know who could work successfully on this watch in the UK as I am sure it needs parts.

Of course they will not change anything that is not needed, so preserving the dial bezel and handset. The pushers and crown may well be recommended for change - although they may be made serviceable.

Talk to Simon Freese at STS.

DO NOT LET ANYONE ELSE NEAR IT or you will loose value and possibly damage the watch

18. Georgieboy58 Dec 12, 2016

The master has spoken.

19. Northernman Lemaniac Dec 12, 2016

For information on Speedmasters I warmly recommend this site:

http://speedmaster101.com/

The members have already recognised it as a 105.012. This reference pre-dates the 1969 moon landing, so it will not have Moonwatch on the back.

Your watch is in general a much more desirable model amongst collectors. It is truly a heirloom piece!
    Take good care of it!

20. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Dec 12, 2016

The master did miss the incorrect minute hand, but that can be addressed by Simon.

nonuffinkbloke and Just Livin like this.