Forums Latest Members

I know, I know, Beta – But Why?! (The ΩF3 thread)

1. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Nov 9, 2014

This forum was the cleanest, easiest to navigate of any that I know, and there is urge to change? I don't get it?

As far as early feedback goes, it is IMO a mistake to eliminate the quick link tabs that were above the forums. Why click on a "Forum" drop-down menu in order to search for links that were previously readily available, and intuitive?

Also, the distinction between the "sticky" topics and all others should be better defined, as should the topics that have been updated since the last visit.

i20rider, g-boac and John R Smith like this.
  2. cristos71 Nov 9, 2014

Oh sorry but I don´t like change like this, those avatars just don´t look right circular :confused:

3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 9, 2014

Those issues are actually being worked on right now, we just didn't want to miss our off-peak traffic period on Sunday mornings US time to apply major updates. More significantly, try it on your phone (not tapatalk the actual site).

4. bish789 Nov 9, 2014

Can't see a "Forums read" tick box. Looks cheap. Sorry but only my opinion. Wasn't broken, why fix?

5. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Nov 9, 2014

Change is good. Like the white

citizenrich likes this.
  6. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Nov 9, 2014

Just logged on and first impression is very good. Clean and modern:thumbsup:
    Ok change always takes a bit of getting used to but it has to happen.

7. Trev The Architect Staff Member Nov 9, 2014

Hey guys, thanks for the feedback. We're still pushing more sets up updates as we go along here. Don't worry too much, it's all pretty flexible in terms of what we can do. We'll keep fixing things as required.

Deldog, Northernman and citizenrich like this.
  8. Trev The Architect Staff Member Nov 9, 2014

There's a huge amount of changes under the hood (that's what this was all about). We're re-integrating the mark-forums-read option asap. ;)

9. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Nov 9, 2014

I appreciate the prompt reply, and that these are early stages, but I am still unclear as to why it was felt that any significant changes were necessary.

Also, with regard to this: "More significantly, try it on your phone…", I know that I am in a minority, but that isn't remotely significant to me. Shouldn't a phone "app" be separate from the way that a site formats on a computer?

Edited Nov 9, 2014
  10. Trev The Architect Staff Member Nov 9, 2014

Because the underlying architecture was becoming too old to be maintainable. The core software hadn't been updated since early 2012.

Right now the interface is more rough than it should be, but we can fix that quickly. It was preferable to having a long period of downtime.

11. John R Smith Nov 9, 2014

I don' t have a phone :(

12. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Nov 9, 2014

My face is a bit rough, could you fix that for me while you are at it :D

CdnWatchDoc, tpatta, adam78 and 2 others like this.
  13. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Nov 9, 2014

Polywatch?

sneer, Northernman, Tritium and 5 others like this.
  14. Trev The Architect Staff Member Nov 9, 2014

Sure, I'll add it to my list :)

Everyone's welcome to keep the suggestions flying, we can evolve easily and quickly.

Alpha likes this.
  15. NT931 Nov 9, 2014

I think it looks fine actually - looks a fair bit 'cleaner'

16. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Nov 9, 2014

First impressions, I love the clean and minimalist look. Seems to work faster navigating, posting and liking posts. I am a user who uses the phone and tablet mostly to view the forum. Everything fits perfectly now when previously the alignment runs and I use chrome on both devices.
    However I appreciate the quick links to the various brand forums previously. Less clicking to get to where I want to go in the previous version. I also miss the banner where I can click the "Latest" wherever I was on the page. Now I have to scroll to the top and click the drop down menu.
    Too much rattling on my part for first impressions. :p

dsio likes this.
  17. Gaz6263 Nov 9, 2014

I love it. Really appreciate the amount of work you guys put in. Do the moderators get anything out of this apart from their own enjoyment.

18. ulackfocus Nov 9, 2014

Change?!?!?! :eek: We fear change!!!!!

19. ulackfocus Nov 9, 2014

Okay, I take it back - I dig the squirrel with the fistful of cash. :thumbsup: MUCH better than Charlie!

20. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Nov 9, 2014

OK, wow. Thanks to this thread I will try and go direct and not use taptalk.

This interface is quite good and feature rich.