Forums Latest Members

I Know Everyone Hates Re-Dials....but where do you go?

1. redpcar Jan 28, 2015

I know how everyone here feels about re-dials but when you want to save one, where do you go? I have always used intl dial but curious where other people go. Omega 2179 4.jpg

2. base615 Jan 28, 2015

Kirk Rich did one for me. Excellent work but far from cheap or quick. I highly recommend.

3. rogart ray it again, Ram. Jan 28, 2015

India :D

4. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 28, 2015

Looks like someone mining for gold.:rolleyes:

5. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jan 28, 2015

IMO, restore only if it has sentimental value (maybe) or it is an exceedingly rare watch. The sentimental value bit is a maybe because if I had such a watch I would try and find a donor watch with a nice original dial rather than having the watch refinished.

6. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Jan 28, 2015

I have used both Kirk Rich Dial in California USA, and International Dial in Ohio USA. Though both appeared refinished (wouldn't pass as original), the work on the Kirk Rich dial was leagues above the work from International.
    Personally I will not use International again. If I feel obligated to have a dial refinished, I'm sending it to Kirk Rich.
    KR charged $149 to refinish a Corum dial to eBay black, and took several weeks to finish. Int'l charged $45 for a Longines dial to restore to original silver, and finished in two weeks.

HIOB likes this.
  7. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Jan 28, 2015

We've all bought a re-dialed watch at some stage - either knowingly or unknowingly - but if you commission one, you go straight to the naughty step until Dennis says you can come back and play with us nicely.

8. base615 Jan 28, 2015

Sometimes you have to IMO. I love patina but when the dial is damaged beyond being wearable you have a choice of re-dialing or replacement. My Pie Pan dial was in a shit state when I picked it up cheap and I was never going to find a replacement dial. It's now an awesome watch to wear and I love it despite its re-dial. I'd never sell it trying to pass it off as original but it's pretty damn close and you'd have to be a proper Omega nut like us to tell.

9. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Jan 28, 2015

The trouble with a re-dial is that, no matter how noble the intentions when the commissioner of that re-dial are, when selling, there is no control over subsequent owners.

10. base615 Jan 28, 2015

Fair point but I'd only do one if it's a watch I want to keep and wear and without the redial it wouldn't get wrist time. For example, I'm wearing a very heavily patinated watch right now that I'd never consider refinishing but the one I had done was very visibly damaged similar to the OP's example.

I guess my view is that, when buying, caveat emptor should always be the overriding principle and a true collector will usually be able to identify a re-dial anyway, either by themselves or with the help of a forum like this. It seems to me that, with some model's replacement dials impossible to find, it would be silly to just discard an otherwise excellent vintage watch on the principle that re-dials are always unacceptable. As long as it's done as a last resort and done well I see the practice as acceptable for watches which would otherwise never be worn.

11. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jan 28, 2015

Fwiw, a redial doesn't preclude finding a replacement. In cases where a replacement or donor may take time and patience, a redial may fill the gap while the hunt continues...

woodwkr2 likes this.
  12. base615 Jan 28, 2015

Absolutely. If I ever find a good replacement Pie Pan dial not connected to a watch I'll replace my re-dial but I doubt I ever will find one unfortunately,