Forums Latest Members
  1. dlack Nov 25, 2017

Solid Rolex wearer over many years (currently GMT-Master II Ceramic owner), however can't stop returning to the modern sports Omegas. Have owned and sold 5 or 6 Seamasters and Speedmasters, the nicest actually being a vintage Speedy cal. 321 ref. 145.012 circa 1967, which I greatly regret selling six years ago! Now enjoying within my rotation a recently acquired Speedy 3570.50 Moonwatch circa 2005 ( a classic beauty) and also a recently-acquired Seamaster Pro 300 Ref. 212.30.41.61.01 circa 2011-12 (great-looking black wave dial, and who doesn't love those 1503/825 bracelets?). As classic, solid and beautiful as my GMT-Master II Ceramic is, I'm nonetheless drawn to the Omegas. Divided loyalties I suppose. As costly as the Rolex are, a trip to any Omega boutique will leave the clear impression that, with many of its lines, Omega has now reached luxury brand status due to a combination of design, quality, fit, finish, and certainly price.

I've posted a recent pic (below) of the trio referred to ...

group.jpg
    Edited Nov 26, 2017
    frazierspa, GGG964, watch3s and 6 others like this.
  2. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Nov 25, 2017

Pics?

3. dlack Nov 25, 2017

Pics now posted!

blufinz52 likes this.
  4. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Nov 25, 2017

And professionally done :thumbsup:

duc likes this.
  5. alam Nov 25, 2017

good looking trio! :thumbsup: can't stop now as you are definitely in need of something with a leather strap :cool:

so which of these criteria has more weigh in the apparent/perceived status as a luxury brand? :rolleyes:

6. Jeen Nov 25, 2017

Stunning trio!! Well done.

7. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Nov 25, 2017

Omega has been for a long while Rolex’s main competition. Only the past few years have they started to adjust pricing as such.

Honestly the fact the 1st and 2nd gen Planet Oceans cost less then a no date Sub and measured feature wise against the sea dweller was surprising.

8. dan7800 Nov 25, 2017

Great watch choices. You really cannot go wrong with those

9. dlack Nov 25, 2017

Both brands do, some of which are limited editions. However, I find the black dial is always reliable, timeless, and the perfect contrasting backdrop to the colour accents on the hands and dials (e.g. green 24-hour hand on the GMT; red-tipped second hand and red "Seamaster" dial script on the Seamaster; and white hands on the Moonwatch).

Riviera Paradise and blufinz52 like this.
  10. dlack Nov 25, 2017

Difficult to weight the criteria as they all contribute, with the exception of price, which is more the 'result' of the other factors and particularly the prominent brand awareness/marketing. Also tried an OEM leather strap/deployment on the Speedmaster...not a fan.

Edited Nov 26, 2017
    Riviera Paradise likes this.
  11. alam Nov 26, 2017

we'll need to work to fix those ill feelings :p

Mozziebite and Riviera Paradise like this.
  12. Theognosis Nov 26, 2017

As far as I’m concerned, the fight became very close when Omega released the 8500 family of movements.

And then Rolex got knocked out for good when the 1957 Trilogy masterpieces were released. It became a one-sided beating.

Great collection by the way!

13. dlack Nov 26, 2017

Thank you for the compliment! I truly enjoy this particular collection. Apart from the classic style of each piece, their respective movements bring a somewhat different dynamic to the table i.e. Rolex=Auto; Speedy=Manual; SMP=Quartz.

I agree that the Omega 1957 Trilogy is absolutely stunning. My favourite among the group is the SPEEDMASTER 60TH ANNIVERSARY LIMITED EDITION 38.6 MM “BROAD ARROW” (see pic) 1957.jpg --- what a beauty, reminiscent of the original CK 2915, but with a nearly $10K price tag (Cdn.), a bit out of reach unless I were to sell my GMT-Master IIC to help fund a purchase. (Yikes...Now you got me thinking...)

Riviera Paradise and Theognosis like this.
  14. Theognosis Nov 26, 2017

You do have a well-balanced collection. Well done! I myself would have to flip my Daytona to get the new incarnations of the ck2913 and ck2915 (I already have the RMLE). Should my AD call me up and offer me the 2 Omegas, I would have to think long and hard as the Daytona pre-ceramic price is sky-rocketing in value and would want to wait until the price maxes out after several years. Hope my AD doesn’t call me up soon!

Obligatory pic: the Daytona next to the RMLE and 8500 watches. The Rolex is being bullied!
    E2D2ADD3-5EFF-4FD4-B3A1-F1D1DA737FBF.jpeg

15. dlack Nov 26, 2017

I think we agree...tough to part with those Rolexes. Always nice to have one in the rotation whenever possible. Big fan of the Daytona, both vintage and modern (who isn't?). 1st Class collection there!

Theognosis likes this.
  16. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 27, 2017

Me. Despite being fine watches, they do nothing for me aesthetically.

dan7800, Shailor and Theognosis like this.
  17. Theognosis Nov 27, 2017

The Daytona is the only model that appeals to me in the entire modern Rolex line-up. I like it but don’t love it. I must admit though that it is the watch I wear when I want to impress the “investment”-conscious crowd. It’s fun to play their game once in a while. :)

18. Riviera Paradise Nov 27, 2017

Hey @Theognosis great collection you got there. Every watch clearly has a role and function. Your new (and much loved:)) Railmaster was certainly a very clever and gorgeous addition!:thumbsup:

Vintage Daytonas do have nice balanced designs but are ridiculously overrated IMO in terms of the actual product offered from a technical and craftsmanship perspective ...surely Veblen luxury pricing taken to a totally absurd extreme.

Of the current recent modern Daytonas only the new modern ceramic bezel LN would generate interest for me, but then again only at retail pricing. As a watch I really don't think it is worth more than U$12K, especially these days you can get an A.Lange Saxonia Thin 37mm for US$14-15K (completely different watches, but comparing value propositions is worthwhile for me). The LN Daytona it is the only other Rolex I would consider buying for my current collection (group shot not yet updated with my new ST).
    20161203_093940_001.jpg 20170916_102829.jpg

Being a big F1 fan...I do yearn for a F1 "racing theme" watch...I only have the BLNR right now as a temp fill-in:(...
    20171111_155947.jpg

I have tried to convince myself that the new Omega Metas Racing Speedies could be a good alternative to the Ceramic Daytonas...
    Omega-Speedmaster-Racing-Master-Chronometer-2017-aBlogtoWatch-17.jpg
    ...but although they are on par technically with the Rolex offering, they do not sing to me.

I do think the new JH 85th Autavia LE could look pretty good on a black racing strap, but again the case is a bit bulky, too shiny, and seems to lack the elegance of the Daytona...have not seen it live so I might change my opinion on the watch...at least they "corrected" the sub dial minutes counter on the JH version.
    TAG-Heuer-Autavia-Jack-Heuer-85-Ref.-CBE2111-29.jpg

I missed out on the initial Daytona LN reservation list with my local Rolex AD...only after I tried on the watch did I appreciate the new sportier, less blingy look. Well at some stage I am pretty sure a LN will come my way at retail pricing...just a question of being patient. I am in no hurry...right now I think only the JH 85th Autavia might scratch my watch racing itch...and Heuer does have a stronger link to F1 and my hero Ayrton Senna. If I am fortunate to run into one I will post photos in the OF "other watch brands" section for anyone interested.

Although this is an obvious point to many on the OF I am always amazed as to how our aesthetic appreciation changes from release photos to the actual live wrist test ...when the new METAS Speedy Racing was launched earlier this year, I was drooling with expectation based on the photos...now I know it will not scratch the racing watch "itch".

alam and Theognosis like this.
  19. watch3s Nov 27, 2017

some where rolex execs are going, he'll be back :D:D:D, nice collection! :thumbsup: I used to say no omega, but i ended up with three at one point.

20. Theognosis Nov 28, 2017

Thanks! Your collection is superb as well with the Reverso standing out. My Reverso 976 says hi!

[​IMG]

JLC is my next favorite brand next to Omega but I'm quite disappointed with their latest releases which are hovering on the 39-40mm. I would love JLC to surprise me next year with 36-38mm sizes.

And you are correct about the ALS Saxonia as a better "alternative" to the ceramic Daytona. The Saxonia 37 is actually next on my list for 2018. That is, if the honeymoon period with my RMLE is over by then.

alam and Riviera Paradise like this.