Forums Latest Members
  1. jeff uk Oct 29, 2015

Best Regards

Jeff

IMG_1251.JPG IMG_1252.JPG IMG_1253.JPG IMG_1254.JPG IMG_1255.JPG
    ahartfie, PatrickJ, Pahawi and 5 others like this.
  2. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Oct 29, 2015

come on...wrist shot? Welcome to OF.

3. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Oct 29, 2015

I always love those space dials. Really great.

4. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Oct 29, 2015

brassknuckles... that was my first association

blufinz52 likes this.
  5. jeff uk Oct 31, 2015

Here you go mate, the only problem is I have a 8and half inch wrist and even though the bracelet is a fit I doubt it will get worn much as its a tad tight and I would hate to damage it.

Regards

Jeff IMG_1267.JPG IMG_1265.JPG IMG_1218.JPG

Taddyangle likes this.
  6. Willem023 Nov 1, 2015

Oops, the latter one....:eek: Is most probably not vintage....

But I am intrigued by your question: why is there significance in whether or not a watch is to be considered 'vintage'? I know of the different discussions on this topic and that there might be a rule of thumb that everything before 1970 is considered 'vintage' (Speedmasters is before 1974, I believe) but who cares actually?
    I like your watch (the 1st....) and I would enjoy it to the fullest!

7. ConElPueblo Nov 1, 2015

Is that the solid gold version? :eek:

8. Tom Dick and Harry Nov 1, 2015

What a great example, you don't see many solid 18K versions anymore (there are probably less than 50 remaining worldwide) and certainly not in this lovely original condition. Your example is a peach, the bracelet looks very tight and the dial looks super, what a great catch. You might be able to get additional links added in at STS (Omega UK), you would need to call them and discuss it with someone like Simon (their service manager)

Here is a useful article I wrote on these very special watches

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omega_Marine_Chronometer

Fundamentally these are the same movement as the Omega Marine Chronometer but under calibre 1510, the movement was also used in a stainless steel example of your watch. In total there were 1000 made of which approximately 200 were solid gold, 50 of which have electric blue dials and 10 of which had solid gold dials.

You watch should be keeping time to approximately 1 second per month

Here is mine, this came through the forum from the son of the original owner, sold in 1975 it came with the original box and papers, sadly the bracelet was beyond salvage but it wear great on original sharkskin, not the most understated of watches but non the less a real beauty.

Mine was serviced at STS earlier this year, it wasn't the cheapest of jobs but their lapping machine and onsite gold smith returned the case to basically new and the watch genuinely isn accurate to 1 single second per month

FullSizeRender.jpg FullSizeRender[1].jpg

9. jeff uk Nov 1, 2015

Hi Tom
    Thank you very much for the reply, yours on the leather looks stunning, could you please tell me were or who made the strap for you. I need one LOL.

Best Regards

Jeff

10. jeff uk Nov 1, 2015

Hi
    Yes, solid 18K.
    Best Regards

Jeff

11. Tom Dick and Harry Nov 1, 2015

HI Jeff

The stap is an original sharkskin on gold (plated) omega deployment buckle, when new the watch was available on BCT or shark/ croc

I might be able to supply you with a new Omega strap (identical to the shark) but calf with gold standard buckle

PM me if you want me to find out for you?

Thanks Tom

12. PatrickJ Nov 1, 2015

Very nice it has a strange charm to it. Love the dial and chunky case

13. jeff uk Nov 1, 2015

Hi Tom
    I appreciate your help very much, I would like to wear the watch in all its glory, in that I mean on bracelet. So will take your advice and ring STS <Omega UK> and see if its possible to get a extra link fitted first, if that fails get ready for a PM. Thanks again,

Best Regards

Jeff