Forums Latest Members

I have just bought this ladies vintage Omega, please can you help identify? History? Age?

1. J Kearsey Dec 5, 2013

9 carat gold case
    Regards
    James

Omega.jpg
  2. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Dec 5, 2013

Would place it to the 1930's with a fifteen jewel movement, a pic of the movement would help a lot.

3. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Dec 5, 2013

Sweet blued hands....

4. John R Smith Dec 5, 2013

That's a really lovely little watch, certainly pre-WW II, and with strap bars rather than lugs. If it is 9k gold I would be inclined to think it was a UK case rather than Swiss.

5. Sherbie Dec 5, 2013

Are you really sure its a ladies watch? Watches were very small back then?

nice watch though, and love the blued steel hands

6. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Dec 5, 2013

Itro 20mm dia ?

7. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Dec 5, 2013

Similar to one I recently parted with - Dennison cased.

IMG_5506.JPG IMG_5505.JPG

8. J Kearsey Dec 6, 2013

In view of the condition what would the value be?

9. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Dec 6, 2013

Is it running and do you have a movement shot?

10. J Kearsey Dec 6, 2013

Its boxed up at the moment, however it is running
    JK

11. Habitant Dec 6, 2013

The call goes out for Tire Comedon! Until he comes along and corrects me, I'll throw in my much less experienced opinion.

Omega seem to have taken down all their Medicus pictures on the database at the moment so I can't check out my hunch, but I think this may be one of the them - the railway track chapter ring suggests it. As does the absence of a sub second dial, which once again suggests Medicus (typical, until the advent of the sweep hand on these cal 23.4 Omegas). There was one gold case Medicus, but as I said, Monsieur T-C will know more. One of my Medicus' was discovered after having had its fourth wheel and characteristic second hand removed, so I'd suggest such a thing could have happened here (just guessing without seeing the movement, of course).

I bought a stainless steel one the other day, have a peek. At 28mm, they were intended for men. Both T-C and I bid on this, which the seller had mis-identified as a woman's watch, which we both agreed was to our advantage, price-wise. In the end, I won the auction, and it's just back from service and has been fitted with a vintage Omega dark grey crocodile strap.
    _MDH0050.jpg

Tire-comedon likes this.
  12. Tire-comedon First Globemaster Dec 6, 2013

Hi,

Men's wristwatches were certainly smaller than today, but yours looks like a woman's 20mm one. What size is the case (without lugs and crown)?

Standard men's watches were around 35mm back in 1915-1920, then more often 30mm between 1920 and 1935-40 (with 23.7, 26.5, 23.4/23.4SC calibers) then especially with 30mm caliber, cases became closer to 32-35mm. You can find bigger cases for men's wristwatches (35-37mm), but they are not the standard production

Usually men's wristwatches also have a second hand (I know only a very few exceptions) when women's watches didn't always have one (smalle calibers were only two hands ones). It's difficult for me to see if it's a central second (23.4SC) which lost one hand hand or if it's a two hands watch, although I would guess it's a 2 hands women's watch.

Dial style is quite representative of Omega production during the second half of the 30's. See for example the 1936 women's collection :

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

However, I can't give a ref for this watch because all the ones of this style I found in my catalogs or in my collection have a 19.2 or 23.7 caliber and have a small second hand. It would be useful to have a picture of the caliber and reference numbers.

Here are two 23.7 (the center one has non matching hour/min hands...) and one 19.4 side by side :

[​IMG]

the 19.4 is 22mm diam and the 23.7 are 27mm diameter.

Here is the 19.4 side by side with the 23.4SC - same model as the one presented by Habitant :

[​IMG]

UncleBuck, Habitant and Alpha like this.