Forums Latest Members
  1. speedycosmograph Speedmasterus Pontificatus Jul 9, 2012

I don't think the watch was an Omega. In fact, I'm sure it wasn't, so I hope this won't get tossed from the forum, but when I was about 9 or 10, I found a big, clunkly chronograph advertised in a magazine. It may have even been a comic book. (I loved the Silver Surfer.) Anyway, I know it was cheap, but it was mechanical, and I think it had red and black on the bezel...maybe on the dial. I don't recall how many subdials it had...at least two. I think it died after a year or so, but I'd love to find one like it. I have no idea of the brand name, but I would probably know it if I saw it again. I am guessing it wasn't made in Switzerland. Remember, it had to have sold for less than 30 or 40 bucks in the mid 70s.

2. ulackfocus Jul 9, 2012

I wonder if you're refering to the old Bulova, Caravelle, or Wittnauer divers. That's the first thing I thought of reading your post.

3. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jul 9, 2012

Do you no longer love the silver surfer? You gotta give Norrin Radd some love!

4. ulackfocus Jul 9, 2012

Witt1.jpg

Witt2.jpg

5. ulackfocus Jul 9, 2012

Bulo1.jpg

Bulo2.jpg

6. speedycosmograph Speedmasterus Pontificatus Jul 9, 2012

Wow, those are much better than the one I had, but the colors are similar. I am sure it was no Bulova or any other reputable maker. It was cheap, but it looked cool. And I do still love the Silver Surfer/Radd. He's noble character compelled to "sell his soul" to save his home...at least until he got a look at the hot Earth babes. It's no coincidence he was created during the beach movie/surfing explosion of the mid 60s.

7. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jul 9, 2012

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. speedycosmograph Speedmasterus Pontificatus Jul 9, 2012

Thanks for those offerings, and they are very 70s, but the watch I had looked more like a traditional, round chronograph...only maybe a little more color on the bezel. I'll try to find some photos that might be close. On a side note, Dennis, I have a package out for delivery right now....from our friend Jesse. I'll let you know how that goes. It should be here within a coupla hours. I'm a little nervous.

9. ulackfocus Jul 9, 2012

Yes, I just received mine - and my Seamaster 751 day/date still is stuck on the same day. How can anyone who goes by the screen name "omega564" not be able to repair a classic straightforward caliber? And I'm not the only one - Tommy's / Wetwork's 75x calendars don't work either. They all did before being sent to our buddy. Time to get Steve / N2FHL to fix it the right way.

10. speedycosmograph Speedmasterus Pontificatus Jul 9, 2012

That's not good news. Now I'm more nervous than I was before. You said he did good work in the past, but now not only is he taking too long...he's not actually fixing the watches? I am stunned that he sent back watches that were not working...esp if they were working before. All 3 of mine were working when I sent them.

On the challenge....maybe it will help to know that I am pretty sure it came to me on one of those huge, wide, leather straps that were so common in the early and mid 70s. And I'm pretty sure it was a tachy bezel.

11. ulackfocus Jul 9, 2012

The 751 was back to him twice and still not repaired. The Genève 562 was just fixed by Steve / N2FHL with the proper parts. Greg & I are sure he hasn't been ordering the correct parts due to a lack of funds (I'll give you details on why we know that if necessary). Instead of shipping me the Universal Genève triple calendar/moonphase I bought for $800 he sent me a refund.....for $760.... even though he specifically said $800 in his last e-mail to me. Whatever. :rolleyes: I'm just glad I got my watches back after a year (give or take depending on which one). Let me know what condition your watches arrive in.

You mean a Bund strap - they go under and show around the sides of the case like so:

bund.jpg

12. speedycosmograph Speedmasterus Pontificatus Jul 9, 2012

Yes, that's the type of strap, but the one in your photos is MUCH classier than the ones I remember. And the 70s strap was wider than that one. Now I'm almost dreading the arrival of my watches. Are you going to make any public service announcements regarding his work? If mine show up with issues, I will have several unkinds things to report, and rightfully so. If his work is poor, everyone who might end up in the same situation should be warned.

cicindela likes this.
  13. ulackfocus Jul 9, 2012

Don't worry about it until you have to worry about it. If there's a problem share it in the thread asking if he has any of your watches.

I just called the credit union the check is drawn on and they told me there's no Jesse on the account that I gave them and not to deposit the check. I immediately called and left Jesse a message that I want a US Postal Money Order to replace it. It had better come promptly or my next call is to my lawyer to file a claim against him.

14. speedycosmograph Speedmasterus Pontificatus Jul 9, 2012

Well, my news is better. I'll try to get some photos later today, but one of the things he did for me was to clean up a chocolate pre pro Speedmaster dial that Omega had removed and replaced as part of servicing a watch. I bought the watch with the orig. dial and other parts with the intention of having the orig. dial put back on the watch. He did a nice job making it look much better...and on another pre pro dial he also cleaned off some very dark lum. Both watches look good, and the third watch is the one I am going to use for the panda. It looks good but has no hands. So I have no complaints about the work as of now. I haven't been able to check the hr and min. recorders, but you know that can take some time.

15. speedycosmograph Speedmasterus Pontificatus Jul 11, 2012

So I guess I will never locate my cheap, generic chrono from the 70s. I've searched through hundreds of photos with no luck. I know it was an off brand, and I am almost certain it was "busy." The bezel was at least partly red, and I think it rotated, had a tachy, and had the serrated edges. I know it was ordered through the mail, either from a comic, magazine, or possibly the JC Penney catalog. I can't even guarantee I'd know it if I saw it, to be honest. It had to be some obscure brand name, and I don't think it lasted very long. Oh, and I mentioned it was sold on the wide leather strap. I looked at the Bund straps, and they usually aren't as wide as these 70s "mod" straps. I'd say the wider part was about 3". If anyone comes up with a match, I'll owe you one.

16. speedycosmograph Speedmasterus Pontificatus Aug 2, 2012

I found my watch. Now I want to find the ad from the magazine where I saw it first. They seem to sell between 50 and 100, but they were 9.99 in the mid 70s. That is STILL a sexy watch. I found one on Ebay to buy, so I'll have some better photos soon. I need a big fat leather strap for it now.
    uhr05g.jpg

17. ulackfocus Aug 2, 2012

Look at that dial layout! Resembles a PSE&G meter. :p

18. speedycosmograph Speedmasterus Pontificatus Aug 2, 2012

Um...is that like a gas company? Was that an attempt to hurt my feelings? That is a SEXY dial. I had great taste even in 1974. The movement, however, looks to have been stamped out of galvanized tin.

19. ulackfocus Aug 2, 2012

Yes - Public Service Electric & Gas.

No - You aren't that thin skinned despite your saying things to the contrary.

In 1974, Rachel Welch, Bo Derek, and Jane Fonda were sexy. That dial was not and is not sexy. :p

20. speedycosmograph Speedmasterus Pontificatus Aug 2, 2012

I don't think I saw Bo until about 1979, but in '74 I bet I had a thing for Olivia Newton-John or CHERYL TIEGS.